News: India, The Situation, Adam Levine, YMCA, Jean Valjean

RoadWhite House down the rabbit hole on marriage equality.

RoadOutsports: Fire Nebraska assistant football coach Ron Brown.

RoadJames Cameron poised to win deep sea race, prepares to dive into Mariana Trench.

BttRoadDon't Ask, Don't Tell on the Titanic: the love story of Major Archibald Butt and his devoted partner Frank Millet.

RoadJersey Shore's The Situation: drugged out?

RoadAttorney General Eric Holder speaks at the third White House LGBT Conference on Safe Schools: "I’m proud to join you in affirming a simple truth, and renewing this Administration’s commitment – as well as my own – to an essential idea:  that no one deserves to be bullied, harassed, or victimized because of who they are, how they worship, or who they love…."

RoadChristian couple files class action suit against YMCA, claims they are "homosexual brothels". Plaintiff goes into graphic detail about getting hit on in the locker room.

RoadDemocratic Texas state Senator Wendy Davis's office firebombed.

RoadAdam Levine to join American Horror Story?

VanderslootRoadHow Mitt Romney's anti-gay billionaire backer tried to silence critics. "As a public figure, VanderSloot promotes a remarkable political and social agenda. Through his lawyers, he is not shy in attacking these who taking issue with his words. His actions against gay people go back years, and they're more than worthy of examination."

RoadGreenpoint, Brooklyn gay bar Veronica People's Club shutters.

RoadFred Karger narrowly beat Ron Paul in the Puerto Rico primary. Said Karger: "For a first-time candidate, who just did it the old-fashioned way, worked hard and had a Spanish-language commercial on TV talking about my moderation and my plan to bring jobs to this country, I think that message is starting to resonate. And the more attention I can get and the more people understand that there’s a moderate Republican who pushes full equality in this campaign, I think I have a great chance of success."

RoadVIDEO: It's the new trailer for Season 2 of Game of Thrones.

JackmanRoadHugh Valjean.

RoadIndian government says it has fully accepted the court's high ruling decriminalizing homosexuality: "Vahanvati said though the government had opposed dilution of Section 377 as far as consensual gay sex in private was concerned, it later realised that the high court verdict was correct. The HC verdict decriminalizing homosexuality is acceptable to us, he stressed."

RoadCNN's Soledad O'Brien yuks it up with hate group leader Tony Perkins.

RoadRussian punk band stirs up debate about the role of the church, art and women in Russian society: "The group has been accused of blasphemy; three of the women are in pre-trial detention and could face up to seven years in prison."

RoadUganda's gays see progress in war of public opinion.

RoadHomophobic man jailed after outburst on British flight: "John Hawkins, who was with his children on the Thomas Cook flight, flew into an abusive rage while his young daughter sobbed. The 32-year-old lost his temper when a man in a nearby seat on the flight from Tenerife, told him to mind his language. He became aggressive, and shouted insults - directing gay jibes at male cabin crew. He eventually had to be restrained. The pilot felt he had no alternative but to return to Tenerife, at a cost of £12,500 to the airline."

Comments

1. LOL...the YMCA story brought back some great memories of picking up guys and taking them home, not only from Y's, but from the cruisy showers and locker rooms at the athletics facilities of the grad school I attended

The locker room at the Dupont Circle Y in DC was among the best pick-up spots in town when I lived there...and my apartment was conveniently located only a 10-minute walk away...

Oh, to be young again.....

Posted by: Rick | Mar 21, 2012 4:06:52 PM

2. Levine has already been confirmed for American Horror Story.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 21, 2012 4:28:56 PM

3. Vanderloot face looks like I Imagine Santorum's butt looks like naked... picture that...or maybe not.

Soladad O'Brien expected better reporting she seems more creditable than most the CNN anchors. Everybody should just quit tweeting! This shits tuff enough to make a point!
    Maybe complain to Anderson whats one more show...when does he sleep?

Like Don Lemon though!

Posted by: Vern Dufford | Mar 21, 2012 4:33:19 PM

4. Thanks for posting the link to the story about Major Butt. It's a very interesting bit of history. Sad ending, but at least Butt and Millett were together in their lives and at the end, on the ship.

Posted by: Dev | Mar 21, 2012 4:33:31 PM

5. 1. Isn't it obvious to everyone that Obama is fine with gay marriage, he just can't risk alienating the middle-of-the-road independents until after the election. Is it great leadership? no. Is it pragmatic? Yes. And if we know anything about Obama by now, we know he is not a particularly great leader, but he is a community organizer who is always searching for the great compromise. It still comes down to Obama or Mittens. Can we save all the vitriol and passion for the day after he is (hopefully) re-elected?

2. Kind of interesting to see a call from Outsports to fire Ron Brown. Cyd Zeigler sits at the same conservative political table as Ron. Hey Cyd, them's your peeps!

3. Yikes, Hugh, what have they done to you?!

Posted by: dms | Mar 21, 2012 4:36:59 PM

6. "Isn't it obvious to everyone that Obama is fine with gay marriage"

Nope.

Posted by: Rick | Mar 21, 2012 4:41:02 PM

7. @DMS - it's obvious to everyone who doesn't hate black people that Obama is on our side.

fact.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 21, 2012 4:48:18 PM

8. Re: YMCA lawsuit.

Keister? His name is Keister? That is just hilarious.

Posted by: David | Mar 21, 2012 5:09:17 PM

9. I know this is a kind of taboo in certain circles, but does anyone else get a feeling that Levine is a member of the family?

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | Mar 21, 2012 5:11:00 PM

10. I'm a gay historian and history blogger in Washington, DC and I'm not finding much truth to the Archibald Butt article. He lived with other Army officials in DC at quite a few different rented houses in town (in nice areas, not on the edge as they suggest). Only one servant from the Philippines appears in the census record at the house, but that was typical for military men of the era (one did not have a female servant in a household by single or multiple men). And, Francis Millet had married a woman in 1879 (not that tells us much). There are no sources for this story!

Posted by: Paul Williams | Mar 21, 2012 5:25:22 PM

11. @ LITTLE KIWI: Hear, hear! (cc: "RICK".)

Posted by: JOE 2 | Mar 21, 2012 5:28:58 PM

12. Personally I think Obama's being typically timid, and stupidly so. Actual political science research shows that Democrats would win, and win big, if they just let their testes descend and declared their progressive positions outright. This notion that Independents will be turned off by progressive values is hogwash and myth. There's no votes to be lost, and plenty to be gained with progressive positions - those are the ones held by the majority of Americans.

Posted by: Zlick | Mar 21, 2012 6:05:35 PM

13. Oh, and juvenile as it may be, I can't help but be amused that two stories in today's homo news roundup feature guys with last names Butt and Keister, respectively.

Posted by: Zlick | Mar 21, 2012 6:06:48 PM

14. I guess I've already established my prudiness on this website so I can easily say I'm not supportive of guys hooking up in YMCA locker rooms. I've been a member of 3 in 3 different cities and found that the cruising presence was ridiculous compared to other gyms I've been a member of. It was always the same creepers that clearly had some fetish for public sex and exhibitionism; and they had no regard for those who were only there to work out.
    The initial surprise of their displays and mild curiosity quickly turned to vile repulsion as I realized these men habitually cruised the locker rooms and had virtually no restraint in who they preyed upon. It didn't take long to decide that I never wanted to be that pathetic.

Posted by: D.R.H. | Mar 21, 2012 7:01:18 PM

15. AWESOME! Game of Thrones trailor for season 2

LOVE LOVE LOVE GOT just 1 of the top TV series ever

"Winter is coming"

Posted by: say what | Mar 21, 2012 7:17:22 PM

16. ....."It's fun to stay at the.... Y.M.C.A."

Posted by: Reppin2 | Mar 21, 2012 7:34:57 PM

17. @Zlick: I wish I lived in your world, but I live in the backwards state of California where Prop 8 passed despite polls indicating it would be defeated just days before the election.

The reality that I live in is homophobic and rather conservative despite being a "liberal" state.

Boy am I encouraged by the NH news tho. That's news worth celebrating!

Posted by: dms | Mar 21, 2012 7:35:05 PM

18. The story about the YMCA was interesting... I've had a membership at one of the local YMCAs for several years and *never* got 'hit on'... guess I was going to the wrong one! LOL

Seriously though, I think the timing is suspect - the events apparently happened in 2009, but this 'Christian couple' is filing charges *now*? This happened in Asheville, North Carolina... and guess what's coming up there in a few months? Hmmmm... coincidence?

Posted by: Ozymandias71 | Mar 21, 2012 7:42:04 PM

19. That YMCA story is pretty damn funny. Immediately made me think of this Onion classic:

Posted by: Marty | Mar 21, 2012 7:55:40 PM

20. keister had to "pry" the guy off his cock?

what was he using for lube, super glue?

and why does keister keep going back to the sauna and the steam room? protests too much??

Posted by: t | Mar 21, 2012 8:03:45 PM

21. Thumbs up to "homosexual brothels", Hugh Jackman, and the Indian government.
    Thumbs down to the Situation, firebombs, and the homophobic man.
    Big yawn at overexposed Adam Levine.

Posted by: Max | Mar 21, 2012 8:39:45 PM

22. I have to say that on the YMCA article I'm with the plaintiff.

That kind of stuff may be fun in your fantasy life but there is never an excuse for sexually attacking someone who has not given you permission to touch them.

If you hook up with a guy take him home or to a hotel, don't have sex with him in a public shower and then catch an attitude when someone else doesn't want to watch. Despite the song, and everyones nostalgia, the YMCA is NOT a bathhouse, and IS supposed to serve a purpose for people that AREN'T there for anonymous sex.

Posted by: Noctournis | Mar 22, 2012 7:23:40 AM

23. As an out queer woman living with my partner in the rural south, I've quite often the first non-straight person my neighbors, co-workers and other local people are aware of having met, and in many cases realizing how far my very "ordinariness" as just another person doing my best to protect and support my family and make whatever positive difference I can in the community is from the still-prevalent stereotype of glbtq people as depraved, out-of-control, promiscuous, hedonistic, selfish sexual predators has made a significant impact on how these people view us as a community (such as it is) and our struggle for basic civil equality. At least a dozen people I know have in fact moved from staunch opponents to outspoken supporters. And it is my belief that it is because more and more of us have come out and are standing our ground in non-ghettoized and even hostile communities that we are making the amazingly quick degree of progress that we have.

So when I read the YMCA story from North Carolina, I find it really disturbing. I've always made excuses for this aspect of "gay culture" in linking it to the necessary constraints of the closet in eras past, but I'm done with that. Obviously these guys know how to use Craigslist, and no doubt are also proficient at Grindr. They damn well ought to be using them rather than public facilities where their escapades will only serve to reinforce the worst stereotypes that are continually used as weapons against us by the opponents to our equality, especially when this behavior leads to blatant sexual assault?

I'm sure many will disagree with me, but it does make me really angry. I don't care what anyone does with whom or how many whoms, but when your behavior reflects this badly on the rest of us who are minding our own business as ordinary, upright citizens in areas of the country that are openly hostile to us and proves the worst stereotypes ignorant people have of us as correct, that really makes me angry.

Posted by: Shelly | Mar 22, 2012 10:47:42 AM

24. Good points, Shelly. But there's something odd about the courthousenews recounting the the Y episodes. I believe this stuff started after Keister renewed his membership. What's a membership, a year? So for the first term of his membership he saw and/or experienced nothing odd or "inappropriate"? Then all of a sudden, BANG, non-stop sexual activity? Maybe things in Ashville are wilder than here, but either this guy is a complete STUD who blinds the poor homos' sense of reason, or he's putting out some availability signals of some sort. Then I got to the end where they listed the damages the couple is seeking, and it all made a bit more sense. Interesting that he and his WIFE are plaintiffs, yet nothing inappropriate ever happened to her. Is there a YWCA in Ashville?

Posted by: jim | Mar 22, 2012 9:45:16 PM

25. AH, yes! Memories of the YMCA Hotel in Chicago in the 1940's after getting "leave" from the Navy Boot Camp. For a young gay man coming out to himself; let alone to friends; the YMCA Hotels around the world have been safe havens in a hostile world. May they continue their good works for more years to come.

Posted by: Jerry6 | Mar 26, 2012 5:01:30 PM