Barack Obama | Indonesia | News | Transgender

Obama's Transgender Former Nanny Living as Outcast in Jakarta

The AP profiles Evie, President Obama's transgender former nanny, who lives in a slum in Jakarta, Indonesia. Like most of the trans population there, Evie is treated as an outcast. Here's part of the post which deals with an earlier time in her life when she was a sex worker:

EvieThe raid that changed everything came in 1985. She and her friends scattered into dark alleys to escape the swinging batons. One particularly beautiful girl, Susi, jumped into a canal strewn with garbage.

When things quieted, those who ran went back to look for her.

"We searched all night," says Evie, who is still haunted by the memory of her friend's face. "Finally ... we found her. It was horrible. Her body swollen, face bashed in."

Evie tells the AP she's just waiting to die:

"I don't have a future anymore."

She says she didn't know the boy she helped raise won the 2008 U.S. presidential election until she saw a picture of the family in local newspapers and on TV. She blurted out that she knew him.

"I couldn't believe my eyes," she says, breaking into a huge grin.
Her friends at first laughed and thought she was crazy, but those who live in the family's old neighborhood say it's true.

Evie said Obama was 8 (she met their familiy in 1969 and began work after his mother was impressed with her cooking): "He was so young," says Evie. "And I never let him see me wearing women's clothes. But he did see me trying on his mother's lipstick, sometimes. That used to really crack him up."

Comments

1. Aw come on...who needs this story now.

I wonder who will put this to Obama. Give the guy a break he's got major global issues going on and this is not one of them!

Posted by: Vern Dufford | Mar 5, 2012 3:52:43 PM

2. That's a sincerely poignant story.

Posted by: Rafa | Mar 5, 2012 4:04:04 PM

3. Great. So now Obama was raised by a Muslim transgender nanny in Indonesia. Just toss more red meat to the right

Posted by: Mike C. | Mar 5, 2012 4:08:44 PM

4. @ Vern Dufford

You sound like having a trans nanny is something to be ashamed of?

Posted by: suede | Mar 5, 2012 4:09:07 PM

5. She sounds like a really awesome woman! It's great that she's proud of the part she took in Obama's life while he was in Indonesia. I think we all owe her. I'm headed to Indonesia in May and would love to meet with her and help her out any way I can. If anyone has any more information, Please let me know.

Posted by: Sean Mcfly | Mar 5, 2012 4:14:46 PM

6. FYI - Like most of the trans and gay population there and in the USA, Evie is treated as an outcast.

Posted by: Pointed | Mar 5, 2012 4:18:27 PM

7. @Sean You're my hero...

Posted by: Pierre | Mar 5, 2012 4:20:19 PM

8. We have Molly Maid. Where can I get a Tranny Nanny?

Posted by: endo | Mar 5, 2012 4:24:12 PM

9. @Sean,

OMG. What a brilliant idea.
    Maybe we can all pitch in and help her.

Posted by: suede | Mar 5, 2012 4:34:12 PM

10. @SUEDE
    NO NO...I loved the story have NO problem with transgender it's the when it comes to Obama I hope that these stories can be substantiated . Just so much out their that is fabricated about Obama on the web!
    Hope its true...

Posted by: Vern Dufford | Mar 5, 2012 4:37:42 PM

11. "Like most of the trans population there, Evie is treated as an outcast"

As though there is any place in the world where they are not outcasts......

Posted by: Rick | Mar 5, 2012 4:49:10 PM

12. @RICK - Canada. you know. that country US Conservatives like to pretend doesn't exist because its existence proves their b.s. stances utterly wrong. on every count.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 5, 2012 4:55:40 PM

13. @Little Kiwi: Apparently you can also add Thailand to the list of places Rick has never heard of. I think his mom should buy him a world map to put up on the wall in his bedroom in her basement.

Posted by: RyanInSacto | Mar 5, 2012 7:04:27 PM

14. Little Kiwi is a liar. I live in Canada too.
    Trans are NOT accepted here, nor should they be.

Posted by: david | Mar 5, 2012 8:39:30 PM

15. This story breaks my heart.

Posted by: loki7329 | Mar 5, 2012 10:47:05 PM

16. I am certain Obama is writing her a check and sending it off just as soon as he gets his brother out of that dirt floored hut he lives in. Let's see, been 3 years. Guess Obama only wants others who have succeeded to help the poor. Not good enough to follow his own advice?

Posted by: Joe | Mar 5, 2012 10:49:54 PM

17. david is a fake troll. gender-reassignment surgeries are covered under many provincial healthplans, (you can thank my mum for that)

and toronto is a true haven for the trans communities.

look north for hope!

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 5, 2012 10:53:54 PM

18. I am certain Obama is writing her a check and sending it off just as soon as he gets his brother out of that dirt floored hut he lives in. Let's see, been 3 years. Guess Obama only wants others who have succeeded to help the poor. Not good enough to follow his own advice?

Posted by: Joe | Mar 5, 2012 10:49:54 PM

Joe simply shut the f*ck up!

Posted by: CHRIS DACHOCOLATEBEARCUB | Mar 6, 2012 2:23:33 AM

19. @Little Kiwi,

Please shut up about how great Canada is. I know Canada well, the attitude of Canadians is pretty much identical as Americans. You've managed to pass some laws on a national scale up there but that's about it. And that has to do with the specific political set-up in Canada more-so than the any enlightened attitudes among typical Canadians.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 6, 2012 9:36:31 AM

20. @Sean I read this article before at Jakarta Globe site. Maybe they can give you more information to reach the nanny. You are an angel.

Posted by: indonesian sean | Mar 6, 2012 9:36:58 AM

21. That's right chocolatebearcub, Obama is black [half black] so he can't do any wrong.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 6, 2012 9:38:48 AM