News | RuPaul | Sydney

'Bored' RuPaul Drags Down Sydney Mardi Gras: VIDEO

Same Same's Matt Akersten reports that Sydney Mardi Gras crowds were not impressed by RuPaul:

RupaulAlone on the giant stage at midnight in the Royal Hall of Industries, RuPaul badly mimed her song Supermodel, then departed, leaving her back-up dancers to perform the theme of Drag Race by themselves.

“She looked bored and mimed her own song badly, not caring if she stopped ‘singing’ while the main vocals on the song kept going,” said a party punter who witnessed the carnage. She even told the crowd “Happy Pride!”

The Mardi Gras crew won’t comment officially, but those involved with Ru’s show were yesterday muttering about how hard she was to work with, with creative tussles ending in her refusal to be on stage with any of the back-up dancers.

The Courier Mail adds:

The 1990s nightclub pin-up threw organisers into a tizz after making an eleventh-hour change to her highly produced musical number featuring 40 back-up dancers. "Who knows why, but right before she was due to take to the stage she refused to go on with the dancers and said she wanted to perform solo," an insider said.

"The dancers were really shocked. They had been preparing all day. They ended up going out and performing the number anyway once RuPaul finished. They couldn't just waste having 40 dancers dressed, rehearsed and ready to go."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. This is exactly the kind of behavior I would expect from a jerk that thinks its cute to use the pejorative "tranny".

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Mar 5, 2012 11:51:59 AM

2. 1) that song is not supermodel, it's glamazon.

2) ru should have been lyp-synching for her life. she was just parading around and waving her hands around.

3) I don't get the comment above me.

Posted by: truthiness | Mar 5, 2012 12:10:38 PM

3. I really do love Ru, but I can describe a similar response when seeing her at a Pride event.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Mar 5, 2012 12:22:46 PM

4. I'm disappointed in Ru. Apparently he's forgotten what it's like to be hungry for success. With this attitude, it won't be long before he remembers.

Posted by: JC | Mar 5, 2012 12:23:04 PM

5. And furthermore, as an American, I'm embarrassed by this behavior, which I think reflects badly on the gay community in the US. The gay community in Australia is amazing, and they don't deserve to be treated this way.

Posted by: JC | Mar 5, 2012 12:24:38 PM

6. Shocking, simply shocking... I'm beyond words! Cohen should ask about it on "Watch What Happens Live"... Oh, the humanity!

Posted by: MikeH | Mar 5, 2012 12:25:04 PM

7. Rupaul did this same diva routine on an Atlantis cruise and was booed of the stage.
    He's a selfish mess.

Posted by: SFshawn | Mar 5, 2012 12:27:15 PM

8. Don't care. Don't care. Still love her. (fingers in ears) la la la la la.

Posted by: Abejabi | Mar 5, 2012 12:28:02 PM

9. I mean, it's not the best performance a queen can give, but it's also hot horrible?

And just to play devil's advocate: everyone is entitled to a "bad day at work." We've all head them. We just have the luxury of them not being videotaped and critiqued by thousands of gay men...

Posted by: Jason | Mar 5, 2012 12:30:50 PM

10. Queerty is reporting via Australian press that Ru apparently gave a great performance later that night that the crowd loved:

"Apparently the Supermodel of the World gave a more riveting performance later in the evening at the Forum. So at least we know she can still bring it—when she wants to."

Posted by: Wayne | Mar 5, 2012 12:32:43 PM

11. Don't know about the backstage drama, sounds like a petty mess.

But the clips of the performance look fine to me. Typical RuPaul, she was never one to drop it and roll all over the place. Not to mention, the b*tch is in her 50's!

Posted by: BEAHBEAH | Mar 5, 2012 12:32:48 PM

12. She's totally passe'. Done with. I don't think she's a very good representative of gays in general, never has been. If it's not totally about her then she's not interested.
    We need to get over people like this and quickly.

Posted by: JT | Mar 5, 2012 12:40:37 PM

13. Who cares about RuPaul when you have Kylie.

Posted by: John | Mar 5, 2012 12:45:16 PM

14. Drag queens, like gay bars, are a thing of the previous generation(s). Never found RuPaul entertaining.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Mar 5, 2012 12:49:46 PM

15. Doesn't look that bad (the first one = worse) to me, but the behind-the-scenes stuff sounds pretty bad!

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Mar 5, 2012 1:04:52 PM

16. I had a friend over yesterday and she turned on Drag Race. I like drag queens fine if it's like Trannyshack, but I couldn't sit through 10 minutes of that dreck. The writing and contestants are painful.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 5, 2012 1:09:48 PM

17. For starters, Ru was never a representative for gays, so put that in your pipe and smoke it! If she appeared not to be interested or "bored" yet gave a stellar performance earlier, chances are, Ru was tired. She is a great performer and does give it her all, when on stage. She's given new queens (with her show Drag Race), a chance to make it big in a cut throat world of professional female impersonators. I've seen Drag Race and some of those "girls" give it their all, since this show is actually a competition! And for an old queen to still be active and touring, there's something to be said about dedication here. There are very few who can do what Ru does.

Posted by: TK | Mar 5, 2012 1:11:58 PM

18. I just don't get a dude who dresses up and exaggeratedly acts like a woman, wants to be a woman. I fail to comprehend what this has to do with being a homosexual man or woman. Likewise a chick who thinks she's a dude. I understand some people have the tranny fetish, but it leaves me totally cold.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 5, 2012 1:14:57 PM

19. I didn't see the RHI performance but her forum one was really good, there were no backup dancers and it was a smaller stage

Posted by: Thrutch | Mar 5, 2012 1:19:55 PM

20. Pretty much sums up my feelings of RuPaul TV (some call it LOGO). Boring and blurry (and barely gay anymore).

Posted by: Craig | Mar 5, 2012 1:27:31 PM

21. Hey Ratbastard:
    If you WANT to get it, there are plenty of historical treatments about drag and/or transvestisism. It's performative, it's an Effyou to the establishment by blurring the lines of gender norms, etc. It works on a number of different levels, punk rock, velvet underground, Shakespear, Kubuki theatre, have all employed the use of gender distortion. Rather than be dismissive of something that is quite comples in its nature, why don't you do some research? Or you can stay narrow minded. It's your choice.

Posted by: TooBoot | Mar 5, 2012 1:37:41 PM

22. I like RuPaul. I like his attitude.

Australian audiences are tough.

Boy George preformed at Mardi Gras in the 90's he said that the organisers were like Nazi's 'you will perform this song' etc. So who knows what transpired backstage.

Posted by: Michael singh | Mar 5, 2012 1:45:53 PM

23. RuPaul is a throwback, a Gay gatekeeper, and an all-around embarrassment. I perceive "her" as arrogant, narcissistic and insensitive, especially to Transwomen and Black women who don't appreciate ridiculous and demeaning portrayals. Yes, there is a "tradition" of female impersonation in the so-called Gay community, but RuPaul represents drag in its tackiest aspect.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Mar 5, 2012 2:27:08 PM

24. to further tooboot - not all drag queens want to be women - they're just performing, as entertainers. Ru's made that very clear as well - if she's in drag - she's getting paid! It's not a sexual lifestyle for her (and many, I'd say MOST, queens are the same way) - that's where transvestites come in.

Anyway - performances aren't as bad as the reviews made it seem, and it seemed like she was occasionally singing live over the track. In a world where drag queens typically lip-sync though, why wouldn't she lipsync her own songs? I'd still go to one of her concerts!

Posted by: mike | Mar 5, 2012 2:32:20 PM

25. y'all can thank RuPaul for paving the way for your gay-@sses to live with any sort of openness.

gay men who complain about drag acts have no understanding of history.

it's funny - in the UK drag isn't feared the way it is among so many insecure homosexuals here in North America.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 5, 2012 2:44:18 PM