News | RuPaul | Sydney

'Bored' RuPaul Drags Down Sydney Mardi Gras: VIDEO

Same Same's Matt Akersten reports that Sydney Mardi Gras crowds were not impressed by RuPaul:

RupaulAlone on the giant stage at midnight in the Royal Hall of Industries, RuPaul badly mimed her song Supermodel, then departed, leaving her back-up dancers to perform the theme of Drag Race by themselves.

“She looked bored and mimed her own song badly, not caring if she stopped ‘singing’ while the main vocals on the song kept going,” said a party punter who witnessed the carnage. She even told the crowd “Happy Pride!”

The Mardi Gras crew won’t comment officially, but those involved with Ru’s show were yesterday muttering about how hard she was to work with, with creative tussles ending in her refusal to be on stage with any of the back-up dancers.

The Courier Mail adds:

The 1990s nightclub pin-up threw organisers into a tizz after making an eleventh-hour change to her highly produced musical number featuring 40 back-up dancers. "Who knows why, but right before she was due to take to the stage she refused to go on with the dancers and said she wanted to perform solo," an insider said.

"The dancers were really shocked. They had been preparing all day. They ended up going out and performing the number anyway once RuPaul finished. They couldn't just waste having 40 dancers dressed, rehearsed and ready to go."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. And Kiwi nails it again.

It was the drag queens at the front lines at Stonewall. Not the "straight acting" assimilators.

And I take this story with a grain of salt. There are four sides to any entertainment story.

Posted by: Polyboy | Mar 5, 2012 2:47:10 PM

2. RuPaul never "paved" the way for anyone. He/she has always been in this only for the money and fame. Look back and see how many supportive things she's done for the gay community that she didn't get paid for. I guarantee you that you won't find many.

This is exactly the behaviour I would expect from her. She's old news, frankly a little nuts, and needs to just fade on out.

Posted by: Lee | Mar 5, 2012 2:51:24 PM

3. Lee, I'd love to see the specific work you have been doing for the gay community for the last few decades.
    got a link to your own page or video?

RuPaul paved the way, big time, for not only LGBT people but for people of colour and for anyone who exists in the beautiful grey areas of gender-nonconformity.

if you think it didn't take brass balls to be a loud n'proud black drag queen in America when Ru was starting out, you're insane. or likely willfully ignorant of just how LGBT equality has happened over the years.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 5, 2012 3:03:10 PM

4. Little Kiwi...do you have to hold court in on every thread? You are like the Alpha Mean Girl of Towleroad discussions. You have the right to participate in the discussion but not take them all over until you outc-nt everyone into silence.

And before you say it, no I am not Rick, Jason, or Ratbastard--or self-hating, or bigoted, or a troll because I disagree with you. Believe it or not there average gay readers out here who don't tow your line...and won't be doing so anytime soon.

Posted by: Jay | Mar 5, 2012 3:13:09 PM

5. This is sad since all Ru does on Twitter is tweet about self improvement and being a better person. If this story is true...Im extemely disappointed in him. Besides being flown First class and probably put up in a 5 Star hotel plus his performance fee (in the tens of thousands of dollars Im sure!)to pull an attitude and short change the fans is a cryin shame.

Posted by: Tagg | Mar 5, 2012 3:39:16 PM

6. Love Ru- but everyone has an off night- he seemed tired.

Posted by: jaragon | Mar 5, 2012 5:41:21 PM

7. define 'tow my line' "JAY" - you mean acknowledging the reality that gender-nonconformists and indeed Drag Queens helped pave the way for some of you to live the lives you have today?

it's not my fault i don't put the same cowardly limits on my life that you do, "JAY".

what do you "disagree" with? That it took courage and balls to be a black drag queen in the 80s? 90s?

really?
    look, kiddo, as long as you're being miserable from a place of online anonymity you're only proving me right. you owe RuPaul a lot, whether you like it or not.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 5, 2012 5:47:08 PM

8. Little Kiwi said it best.

Drag Queens are pure fun. They are Christmas morning. Why they send some you into a panic is a mystery. Live and let live and drop the constant anger as well.
    If you think we don't "need" gay bars go make out with your boyfriend at TGI Fridays or some similar place and watch what happens!

Posted by: Matthew Prendergast | Mar 5, 2012 6:30:28 PM

9. @Little Kiwi,

Where did I say I 'fear' transgendered or whatever they like to call themselves? I didn't. I don't 'fear' them, I don't understand them is more accurate. And my personal interaction with transgendered crossdressers like RuPaul is they're mean, nasty, bullies.

Posted by: ratbastard | Mar 5, 2012 6:52:00 PM

10. Meh, I think it's just Australia. Judy had a meltdown there, too.

Posted by: jim | Mar 5, 2012 7:13:45 PM

11. ratbastard, *sigh, to your fake aliases*, transgendered cross-dressers like rupaul? he's neither. you don't understand that?

jeez, no wonder your dad couldn't wait to die - to get away from you.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 5, 2012 7:27:04 PM

12. NOT giving 100% in a performance when you're a performer is simply not being professional. There is NO defense, folks. If you don't want to perform and entertain those who have paid to see you, then get the hell off the stage!

Posted by: Perry | Mar 5, 2012 7:51:23 PM

13. When RuPaul first came out with that song "Supermodel", I couldn't stand him. Partly because I didn't think it was much of a song, partly because I'm not a huge fan of dance music, but mostly because of my own internalized homophobia.

My dislike of him only increased when I saw the video for his version of "Santa Baby", which I thought was incredibly lame and unfunny, and when he showed disprespect to the legendary Milton Berle during that infamous awards show presentation.

But dammit if he hasn't won me over with "Rupaul's Drag Race". Maybe it's partly because I've overcome the internalized homophobia. Maybe it's because I admire the way he hung in there through some lean years and managed to create something that perfectly showcases his talents and persona. Maybe it's because every week on national TV he celebrates his art form in a way that has educated me and many others as to the huge array of talents and skills required to be a top-tier drag queen. Before, I HATED drag shows at gay bars. I thought the whole thing just consisted of some queen slapping on a wig, makeup and a dress and lip-syncing. Thanks to Ru, I am now in awe of what these guys do. I am now a big Rupaul fan, something the early-90's version of me would have never imagined me saying.

Posted by: Andy | Mar 5, 2012 8:48:52 PM

14. I saw RuPaul's performance in The Forum (not the RHI) and it was excellent. The crowd was buzzing and Ru seemed to be having a great time. I've heard from multiple sources that the Mardi Gras organizers can be pretty awful, so maybe they threw Ru off her game right before the RHI performance.

Posted by: Ned | Mar 5, 2012 9:07:55 PM

15. When I was a confused, young boy coming out in Atlanta, Ru was just an androgynous, girly-boy of a go-go dancer. He was simply fabulous then and he is even more so now. Little Kiwi is so right about the courage it took for him as a black drag queen in the 80s, because he wasn't the "polished" queen he is now, and more so because he got his start in the south. She had time for everyone, never threw shade, and held court just about anywhere she went. I will always have a warm spot in my heart for RuPaul. He helped shape my acceptance of different types of people and acceptance of myself as a gay man. I view people as people, not as sissies, straights, butch, blah, blah, blah. Until we as a community start accepting each other and our differences, we will continue to feed the hate mongering that plagues us. I'm not saying you have to go to drag shows, or even enjoy them, just accept the fact that some gay men have found an outlet for expression, empowerment, and often activism through different means than you employ or understand.
    For those of you who don't know what he has done for our community, here are just a few:
    How many other drag queens have been able to breakdown the barriers of mainstream media?
    Through his mainstream work, he has shown that drag queens are not one dimensional by performing n roles as both the drag persona and as himself, the male.
    He was the face of Viva Glam, MAC Cosmetics exceptional Mission to support those living with HIV.
    His show Drag U has shown a "softer" side of drag, with him mentoring women who have lost their zest.
    He has headlined many gay pride events across the globe.
    Can't judge his performances in Australia, because I wasn't there, but every time I have seen him live or recorded, he has been spectacular.

Posted by: Kenneth | Mar 5, 2012 9:42:23 PM

16. ...and every time I've had the pleasure to speak with him in person, he was a genuine sweetheart!

Posted by: Kenneth | Mar 5, 2012 9:44:27 PM

17. Wow out of the mouths of babes continues the utterance of ignorance. If it weren't for people like Ru, who crossed a MAJOR milestone to come out and be as successful as he was at the time - and no one has done since. Not to mention he countless drag performers, writers, actors, artists, and others decades before her that give you the oh too comfortable position to say that they're irrelevant today because they do drag is only a sub-conscious way of saying, "I'm better than you because..." The struggled so we could be at a point where we can socially and legally be at a point in this country that we can be tissue paper thin to being counted as equal citizens in this country.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Mar 5, 2012 10:43:00 PM

18. A dead on arrival performance!

Posted by: James | Mar 6, 2012 4:07:51 AM

19. I was in RHI when he came on. Cringe-worthy performance.

Posted by: Dan | Mar 6, 2012 4:42:59 AM

20. I am a gay man who doesn't like drag. I think men should look like men and women like women. I know thats not PC, and I could care less.

Posted by: jack | Mar 6, 2012 5:09:55 AM

21. Yeah it took a tranny to throw the first brick at the stonewall riot. Perhaps Ru was tired or there were bad feelings back stage.
    But i doubt she have much to say to a tranny performing like that on her own show nevermind being paid 20k to do so.

Posted by: Sirenna B | Mar 6, 2012 8:31:52 PM

22. ok for the slow people. Rupaul is transphobic. If you give "HIM" money you are investing in transphobia

oh and bad talent

just sayen

Posted by: Indi Edwards | Mar 7, 2012 10:53:48 PM

23. SASHAY AWAY F*CKWIT

Posted by: Indi Edwards | Mar 7, 2012 11:01:09 PM

24. Dont come back any time soon

Posted by: Indi Edwards | Mar 8, 2012 3:37:25 AM

25. Exactly the same attitude and 'singing' at her Melbourne show a few days later! ...

Posted by: Babs | Mar 9, 2012 7:48:37 AM