BigGayDeal.com

UK Christian Bed and Breakfast Owners Won't Give Up in Fight to Discriminate Against Gays

Chymorvah

UK B&B owners Peter and Hazelmary Bull, who have twice lost a court battle against a gay couple they discriminated against by not allowing them to share a double room, are considering taking their case to the Supreme Court, the BBC reports:

BullThe couple had refused to allow civil partners Steven Preddy and Martyn Hall, from Bristol, a double room at Chymorvah House in Marazion. The Christian Institute said it was backing Mr and Mrs Bull's case.

"We need to apply for leave to appeal, because that wasn't given at the last court hearing. If we get it we could take it to the Supreme Court. If we don't get leave to appeal then I understand we would possibly take it to Brussels."

Comments

1. Mrs Bull said: "I feel that the law has gone too far. Certainly Pete and I are ready to see if we can achieve some sort of result whereby two lifestyles can live alongside each other.

One lifestyle: "We hate you."

Second lifestyle: "F#ck you."

When Christianity becomes the excuse for your bigotry than you know religion, as always, is a far cry from what God really is. Love one another? Hardly.

Posted by: Michael | Mar 12, 2012 9:30:19 AM

2. Your religious beliefs may be a "lifestyle". Being gay is NOT.

Posted by: Tim NC | Mar 12, 2012 9:46:04 AM

3. By now, I'd think they've booked somewhere else to stay, unless it's very, very nice.

Posted by: anon | Mar 12, 2012 10:04:25 AM

4. Seems clear to me that these people are breaking the law. They should be arrested.

Posted by: DiatribesAndOvationsTovation | Mar 12, 2012 10:20:52 AM

5. If I had a choice between spending my money in Italy or in Dubai I would choose Italy. I would choose Italy because it is openly female-friendly. I would not choose Dubai, because although the resort area is acquiescent to the western demands for western women to walk around uncovered, the rest of the country is not.

I prefer to give my money to people who are not forced to be kind to me, but choose to be kind.

Posted by: Rin | Mar 12, 2012 10:37:32 AM

6. I assume they'd lose in the Supreme Court. They'd definitely lose in Brussels.

Posted by: KevinVT | Mar 12, 2012 10:45:14 AM

7. So as far as the owners were concerned, when it came to a gay couple, there was "no room at the inn."

Where have I heard that before?

Posted by: bcarter3 | Mar 12, 2012 10:56:04 AM

8. i'm no expert, but from what i've read, this couple really doesn't understand UK law. civil partnerships were enacted to offer gay and lesbian couples the same rights and responsibilities that come along with marriage without using the term 'marriage'. essentially, the gay couple in question was as good as married in the eyes of UK law. the inn owners, therefore, broke the law and discriminated against the couple simply because they are gay. from my poerspective, it's another clear example of a religious heterosexual couple believing same-sex relationships are inferior to heterosexual relationships.

Posted by: gater | Mar 12, 2012 11:29:19 AM

9. "If we don't get leave to appeal then I understand we would possibly take it to Brussels."

Good luck with that....the European Court of Human Rights is located in Strasbourg.

Posted by: Evil European | Mar 12, 2012 12:41:48 PM

10. Seems like the owners are stuck in the past. They are totally wrong unless they want to make their B & B a religious retreat grounds only. And make sure they are very careful who they advertise to.

Posted by: Tom in long beach | Mar 12, 2012 1:00:31 PM

11. I hope they look forward to the remaining years of their business, as happy gay newlyweds book their B&B, to ensure they follow the law going forward.

Posted by: Randy | Mar 12, 2012 2:10:53 PM

12. I've stayed at numerous hotels over the years with various family members and friends. In some cases, a male with me was my partner and in others he was a straight, platonic friend and in other cases he was my brother.
    In all those times, not once did the staff ask questions pertaining to the relationship of my traveling partner(s), and I would have considered it ridiculously nosey and inappropriate if I'd been pressured to clarify something like that for them.
    It would be like a Christian fanatic grocery store owner asking exactly what recipes you'll be making to ensure no bagels or matzah balls will be made if he agrees to sell you the sack of flour that's in your basket.

Why would any reasonable person, whether straight, gay or bi, want to hand over their money to these bigoted innkeepers?

Posted by: GregV | Mar 12, 2012 7:40:37 PM

13. That's total Bull.

Posted by: Daniel | Mar 12, 2012 9:42:31 PM

14. Hi in my opinion this type of work is totally west of your time.

Posted by: Santa barbara bed and breakfast | Mar 23, 2012 5:27:46 AM

15. This is not fair for everyone.

Posted by: Stay In Britain | Feb 6, 2013 8:48:07 AM