Music | News | News Clips

Ain't Nobody

Sweetbrown

DJ Corey Craig takes this week's viral news report and mashes it with a dance classic.

Watch and listen, AFTER THE JUMP...

Here's the video, if you missed it:

Comments

1. I find gay men's fascination with making fun of the poor and the uneducated rather sad... (or for that matter the rich, troubled and untalented Housewives). Too bad we can't lift people up in more constructive way rather than put people down and glorify their missteps for a 'kiki'. It's oddly like bullying but played off as 'just for a laugh'...

Posted by: NotAFan | Apr 20, 2012 8:05:09 PM

2. you know i think this is a real fun beat !!! and i hope they play this at the clubs and maybe they can give sweet sugar some of the money they make ... no mean spirit she was so funny, i dont think i'm a bully just cus i think is funny how she said no shoes or nothin ain nobody got time for that ...i ran!!!! i would have done the same thing !!! maybe said the same thing too ...I RAN FOR MY LIFE AINT NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT

Posted by: xael | Apr 20, 2012 8:11:42 PM

3. @NotAFan: Humor and you do not go together, I see. Yes, some of us white folk are subconsciously seeing a stereotypical black woman from the 1800s in Sweet Brown's (love that name, BTW) unique presentation of facts, but we're not making fun OF her.

In fact, I thought the entire joke was how she says "I don't have time for that!" (re: bronchitis). So, chill and enjoy people for their uniqueness.

Posted by: Drew | Apr 20, 2012 8:21:36 PM

4. @drew :chill and enjoy???? AINT NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT!!!!

Posted by: xael | Apr 20, 2012 8:29:05 PM

5. NOTAFAN, How DARE you suggest that woman is uneducated. You are one Pompous ass. I'll bet you the empty space in your head that you DO NOT know that woman, yet have the asshatery to suggest she is uneducated. Behold the voice of a racist, all black woman according to NOTAFAN are uneducated.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Apr 20, 2012 8:32:55 PM

6. @notafan - This isn't really symptomatic of gay culture, just American, internet culture in general. But I do understand what you're trying to get at; "vapid" can pretty much sum up LOGO's tv lineup.

Posted by: Hugh | Apr 20, 2012 8:33:06 PM

7. I call foul on posting this! What if it were a stereotypical gay guy instead of the woman in the video. Andy...I call foul on you! This can be viewed as a form of promoting negative stereotypes! Bastard!!!

Posted by: TJ | Apr 20, 2012 8:34:36 PM

8. Oh jeeze, I'm laughing at my laptop now. This has the potential to become another one of those 'till I took an arrow to the knee' memes. AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT!

Posted by: Jon | Apr 20, 2012 8:40:21 PM

9. agreed @DREW and @XAEL-

I'm sure there are pple who found this funny because they have a prejudiced view of the world-but I, and most others- didn't.

I'd agree with XAEL- we'd all have said the same thing as Sweet Brown- maybe in different dialects or accents. I understand the concern over making humor out of a supposedly "low-class, poorly educated" person of color- but that's just it- it's supposition. She could be a nurse or a teacher- or something else- one's accent or dialect does NOT speak to one's intelligence. Additionally- saying that pple are laughing at Sweet Brown (which, considering her personality is quite apropos) because she "sounds low-class" or whatever is in its own way, racist and prejudiced- because that presumes her to be so- when there is no evidence for that.

Anyway- It's a cool remix- and I hope she gets some luck from this and works it!! :-)

Posted by: scott | Apr 20, 2012 8:53:22 PM

10. Like Antoine Dodson, maybe Sweet Brown will be laughin' at all the concern trolls... all the way to the bank.

Posted by: Woody | Apr 20, 2012 9:07:00 PM

11. bi-curious?looking for bilover? I'd like to recommend you an interesting place only for people like you. If you don't mind, please check out "---datebi.cOm----" for more details.I am also a member here, lol~ just check it out, nothing lose if you don't like. Best wishes.

Posted by: yoyo | Apr 20, 2012 9:07:08 PM

12. @ Woody: I somehow doubt that Sweet Brown is making money off this track.

And I also doubt the sincerity of those of you who say that the humor has nothing to do with this woman being poor and uneducated. (Or that you can't tell that she's poor and uneducated from the way she talks.) Give me a f-ing break!

Posted by: mike128 | Apr 20, 2012 9:26:31 PM

13. NOTAFAN, you're awesome! Thanks for expressing my thoughts better than I could. I like a good laugh too, but it seems our society finds far too much pleasure in mocking the poor and those we consider "other." What power would our community have if our natural inclination was to affirm instead of belittle? Love to all!

Posted by: Gerard | Apr 20, 2012 9:36:46 PM

14. A classic from the 80s brought even more current. Thanks for making my Friday night! Such a clever grab on using the "ain't nobody" from her statement to the news. I'm glad she's safe, and I'm glad I have a new favorite remix of this song.

Posted by: cameoutinthe80s | Apr 20, 2012 9:43:10 PM

15. Racism alive and well, masked as ever. Let's remix it! Let's give it to her charity! Let's help the sweet browns! Antoine Pt. 2. Modern minstrel for our remixing entertainment. Racism inherent in our minds.

Posted by: Mhmm | Apr 20, 2012 9:44:03 PM

16. Hey people claiming this is about laughing at poor black people... don't you know they make a remix out of ANYTHING even remotely amusing online? This is like saying the remixes of David After Dentist are about bullying children, or that Autotune The News is horrible exploitation of the media's talking heads. Struttin' That Ass videos are obviously denigrating Southerners and alcoholics, and Double Rainbow remixes are entirely about slagging off overweight hippie burnouts, using your logic. Sometimes people are just FUNNY. Then it gets remixed.

I totally agree that the real racism here is assuming that the woman is either poor OR uneducated.

Posted by: Mousie | Apr 20, 2012 9:58:53 PM

17. Only a moron would turn this into a debate on class warfare and racism *eyeroll*

Posted by: Reality | Apr 20, 2012 10:08:35 PM

18. And please have a sense of humor, because even Sweet Brown does: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s1J26AqEr8&annotation_id=annotation_279345&src_vid=JaAd8OuwwPk&feature=iv

Posted by: Reality | Apr 20, 2012 10:13:52 PM

19. If you watch the original news report, and see an interview with her later - in the original news report that is her son who walks back and forth and back again behind her when she is being interviewed - getting himself on camera. If you notice his little grin....

Posted by: MarkUs | Apr 20, 2012 10:30:06 PM

20. i don't know about notafan but i think that people want to make her a pop culture icon because sweet brown is very charismatic. i look on this more as a tribute to her rather than as making fun of her.

Posted by: alguien | Apr 20, 2012 10:35:02 PM

21. Yeah, I don't think the video was funny or even viral worthy. She seemed a sweet lady dealing with a crisis. Though the song was actually pretty good.

Posted by: zeddy | Apr 20, 2012 10:50:56 PM

22. All this manufactured outrage is so tired and so unnecessary. Sweet Brown is a women happy to be alive and engaging in a little light-hearted storytelling. BTW, she's a gifted storyteller -- the "I don't got time for that" line is intended to be funny, and it is. Putting her story to a beat is no more making fun of her than was the decision to air the original TV report.

We should all be happy that Sweet Brown is experiencing her 15 minutes of fame. Don't assume that the mash-up is anything other than people enjoying her uplifting story and the way she tells it.

Posted by: MarkinDC | Apr 20, 2012 11:00:43 PM

23. Rather than mocking, is it possible that some of us just genuinely enjoy Sweet Brown's energy? I think so. For me, I just really really like her, she's a natural in front of a camera and has presence mixed with a great level of vocal variety. I get the feeling that if I met up with her for some coffee she'd have me laughing with some insanely funny life stories. It's not a racial thing, it's a human thing. The song really rocks.

Posted by: Jazzy J | Apr 20, 2012 11:10:08 PM

24. This is fabulous. I bet she would be honored that she had a part in this song.

Posted by: rexguy | Apr 21, 2012 8:53:33 AM

25. Relax people and enjoy the beats. I think its great and not mean spirited at all. Good job Corey

Posted by: hotbeef801 | Apr 21, 2012 9:10:54 AM