2012 Election | Barney Frank | Discrimination | Mitt Romney | News

Barney Frank Blasts 'Despicable' Mitt Romney

BarneyFrankGay Congressman Barney Frank made it quite clear Tuesday night how he feels about Mitt Romney: the presidential candidate is "despicable." Well, his gay politics are, at least.

Speaking with the Washington Blade after a National Stonewall Democrats event, Frank said that Romney's recent remarks about nuptial equality -- that he prevented Massachusetts from "becoming the Las Vegas of gay marriage" while that state's governor -- downplay the importance of same-sex love.

"That’s saying our marriages were a trick, were a sham,” Frank said. ”He’s clearly prepared to embrace the most — oh, and supporting a constitutional amendment. What that says is that existing marriages are abolished. That’s just outrageous.”

Frank also says that Romney's "lying" when he says he opposes discrimination -- "How does he oppose discrimination? He’s not for any legislation that would make it illegal. So how does he oppose it? He is for a discrimination that would dissolve all the existing marriages. So what does that mean when he says that?” -- and insists the candidate deserves no praise for hiring an openly gay man, Richard Grenell.

"We’re beyond giving people credit for not overtly discriminating," said the congressman.

Comments

1. http://fablog.ehrensteinland.com/2012/04/26/does-mittens-dream-of-electic-sheep/

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Apr 26, 2012 12:54:45 PM

2. He is so much better off blasting Romney than defending Obama. And finally, he says something with a point we've ALL been missing, vis-a-vis his decision to hire "openly gay" Grenell. "We're beyond giving people credit for not overtly discriminating." BINGO! So do try a little harder than that to get the "gay" vote, Mittens. Whether you like it or not, 10% or so of anything is nothing, not when your opponent can muster at least 70% no matter what he does.

Posted by: Matt | Apr 26, 2012 1:03:49 PM

3. His comments aside, Frank is one of the biggest aholes I've ever encountered. The man is a complete d*ck. Extremely obnoxious.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 26, 2012 4:05:40 PM

4. His comments aside, RATBASTARD is one of the biggest aholes I've ever encountered. The man is a complete d*ck. Extremely obnoxious.

Posted by: mld | Apr 26, 2012 4:37:01 PM

5. @MLD,

You've never met me in person or interacted with me, in person. I have with Frank.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 26, 2012 5:02:26 PM

6. @RATBASTARD
    I have encountered you as closely as I need to encounter you to make your comment mine.

Posted by: mld | Apr 26, 2012 6:35:00 PM

7. How shocking! RATBASTARD doesn't like a liberal. Faints...

Posted by: anony6 | Apr 26, 2012 7:18:09 PM

8. Well, obnoxious or not (and since I'm not going to marry Barney, I hardly care), he's right on the money about Mitt's policies being despicable.

Posted by: Ernie | Apr 26, 2012 7:36:41 PM

9. Barney Frank by almost all accounts is the brightest member of the U S House. His voice will be missed. In recent decades that Mass Congressional District has given us Barney Frank and before him Fr Robert Drinan,S.J. two progressive voices for America. I read that a grandson of Robert Kennedy is seeking that seat. Sounds like the quality progressive trend will continue.

Posted by: jack | Apr 26, 2012 7:37:24 PM

10. @ANONY6,

It has nothing to do with the fact he's liberal. I do not 'hate' liberals. I dislike individuals.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 26, 2012 8:01:43 PM

11. I have heard from people who know Barney Frank or know about him that he is very intolerant and obnoxious toward people he deems to be ignorant or uninformed. That probably explains his encounters with the ratbastard.

Posted by: jack | Apr 26, 2012 8:01:56 PM

12. @Jack,

If I hear one more time about how 'bright' Frank is, I'm gonna puke.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 26, 2012 8:02:58 PM

13. @Jack,

He's a D-bag, plain and simple. I didn't just meet the man once. And the guy is not God. He's a flawed human being who actually is responsible for some big mistakes in policy and seriously poor judgment on more than one occasion. But there's really no excuse for his miserable and arrogant behavior.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 26, 2012 8:08:25 PM

14. Puke on Ratbastard, Puke on. Barney Frank is a giant. You are a Ratbastard by your own admission.

Posted by: jack | Apr 26, 2012 8:20:17 PM

15. Most of these queens can't stand the truth. Goodbye Barney! Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Posted by: DAVID | Apr 27, 2012 5:17:50 AM

16. RATBASTARD - really, get rid of a name that makes you disreputable from the get go. It's like wearing sh-t for perfume.

Posted by: UFFDA | Apr 27, 2012 7:30:25 AM