Michelle Obama | News

BigGayDeal.com

Beyoncé Writes Open Letter To Hero Michelle Obama

BeyonceObama

Beyoncé is clearly one of the 65% of registered voters who love First Lady Michelle Obama.

Taking to her recently launched Tumblr page today, the pop star wrote that Mrs. Obama is the "ultimate example of a truly strong African American woman. "No matter the pressure and the stress of being under the microscope, she's humble, loving and sincere," Beyoncé wrote in the hand-written missive.

I've included the letter AFTER THE JUMP...

BeyonceLetter

Comments

1. Addressing the First Lady in the 3rd person is awkward and too informal for Mrs. Obama's role as 1st Lady. This note is heartfelt & sincere, but needs less "rubbing elbows" & more respect to whom BK is addressing. Some things are best to keep private, especially a personal note of gratitude. BK's handwriting is similar to a "tween" slipping a note to her "bestie" during study hall...

Posted by: Marcito | Apr 12, 2012 1:57:50 PM

2. Marcito: Considering how frequently Beyonce and Michelle Obama have met and that they collaborated on a national children's health initiative together, I have a feeling that Beyonce's familiar tone is more than acceptable.

Posted by: luminum | Apr 12, 2012 2:09:03 PM

3. very, very sweet. but (grammar bytch here) lol at the extraneous comma in the last sentence. oh, beyonce.

Posted by: redball | Apr 12, 2012 2:12:30 PM

4. @ LUMINUM Good point.
    Why is it necessary for BK to share this note with the world?
    Jackie Kennedy said, "I want to live my life, not record it."

If you "share" everything in a world full of prying eyes,
    what memories are yours alone to own & cherish?

Posted by: Marcito | Apr 12, 2012 2:27:14 PM

5. When black females, from age 6, have their "bad" hair straightened, I wonder just how authentic their declared self-worth can be. Beyonce's hair and skin color have become more Caucasian as her fame has grown. Let us not even talk about the late Michael Jackson, whose skin color transitioned from dark chocolate to ghostlike and whose features became extraterrestrial.

Sure, black women have the freedom to style their hair in any way they choose but why is it almost 100% away from their natural state? Only Whoppi Goldberg comes to mind as a black woman who is authentically aware of herself and confident in who she is.

So the next time I see a black woman sporting straight, blond hair, I really wonder just how self-aware she would be.

Prejudice is something in all of us, but it must be terribly soul-destroying when it is turned against oneself.

Posted by: Sean | Apr 12, 2012 2:27:37 PM

6. I am confused, is this a letter to the First Lady or about the First Lady. Also, is it difficult to write out the word "you"?

This seems incredibly stupid to me.

Dear Beyonce,

You're not 12.

Sincerely,
    Me

Posted by: Eyeroll | Apr 12, 2012 2:31:33 PM

7. @ SEAN

What the F%$K are talking about?!?
    Stay on point here, buddy. How exactly did BK's hair
    get in the way of writing a concise handwritten note?

Posted by: Marcito | Apr 12, 2012 2:32:55 PM

8. I wish there were a million such heartfelt letters - even if they all had too many commas! - to balance out things like the speaker of the Kansas House referring to her as "Mrs. Yomama" in an official government address.

Posted by: DG | Apr 12, 2012 2:45:22 PM

9. Go away Beyondfake!

Posted by: Jerri | Apr 12, 2012 2:58:44 PM

10. EYEROLL,

When you're estimated to be worth nearly a half of a billion dollars you have plenty of time to improve your prose, composition and usage...if you f.cking care to.

SEAN,

Even though many Black people feel what you just expressed, we (on this blog) have read YOUR views about Black Americans (Black Earthlings for that matter).

But you're right--it is painful and destructive for someone to be reminded that her natural physical features are not considered attractive, reminded of it all her life. One may start to do desperate things to her hair, skin complexion and nose shape--especially, if the individual thinks it will help her career goals.

But don't you worry about Black women's sense of self worth (like you actually give a sh.t). You just mind your own pink penis-loving business, you hear.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 12, 2012 3:07:27 PM

11. @ DERRICK FROM PHILLY ~ A+++

Posted by: Marcito | Apr 12, 2012 3:15:57 PM

12. DERRICK: YES.

Posted by: redball | Apr 12, 2012 3:17:12 PM

13. Why is this even on TR? I couldn't care less about this poorly written letter to Michelle Obama.

If anything, it's just fodder for people like Derrick and Little Kiwi. They'll somehow spin this into "white people are racist." It's getting so old.

Posted by: Tyler | Apr 12, 2012 3:28:30 PM

14. Thanks, Beyonce. I love Michelle Obama, too.

Posted by: mike128 | Apr 12, 2012 4:46:34 PM

15. I see Sean's point of view. While this is a cute cotton candy report on sweet Beyonce waxing about a First Lady, to outsiders it must be odd to have a supposedly black entertainer, who has done everything possible to mitigate her African features, writing a letter of admiration for a "Black" first lady.

This is a direct parallel to self-hating gays who are disgusted by "queens" but love "real men" i.e. hetero men. It's also about the fact that 90% of Mexicans look like native meso-Americans but 95% of their actors in telenovelas self-identify as European.

Until I stopped listening to the collective voices of intolerant critics who didn't know me, my self-worth was out of my control. Now, I don't give much attention to people I don't know or value - BUT, I am my own harshest critic!

Posted by: Ralph in Miami | Apr 12, 2012 5:39:26 PM

16. Ok, I thought it was a little disrespectful to publicly call the First Lady "Michelle," like she's one of her friends. Beyonce is really tring to get inside the circle with the First Lady; however, she's not on her level. Beyonce' lives a life where she walks around in daisy dukes making money from going on stage shaking her body parts and wearing very little clothing. She should be worried about herself being that role model for her daughter not someone else. Besides, after the next four years First Lady Michelle will not be in the white house ( double term will be over), so considering how young Miss Blue Ivy will be, I doubt if she will ever know personally what looking up to this First Lady means.

It's amazing that she shares a personally letter with the world but she won't share new photos of her daughter with her fans.

Posted by: Chris | Apr 12, 2012 8:18:42 PM

17. Barf. Being first lady, having so much resources and power, to do some public work, big deal. It feels the same as Oprah gave out diamond ring to her already super rich celebrity friends in her birthday party a few years ago.

Posted by: coolio | Apr 12, 2012 11:10:50 PM

18. Why is this on a gay blog? I was surprised to see the Beyonce writes like a 14 year old both in penmanship, punctuation and grammar. It seems to me this was more about Beyonce getting attention than her love of Mrs. Obama.

Posted by: Brad | Apr 13, 2012 1:54:37 AM