Bullying | Mormon | News

Gay Mormons at Brigham Young University Say It Gets Better: VIDEO

Byu

"Even on this campus..."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Doubt they will be going to Brigham Young University much longer!!! Shunning ritual will take place shortly.

Posted by: CB | Apr 6, 2012 9:55:22 AM

2. They are right, it does get better, but not by going to a Brigham Young University, where gays are not respected. You cannot kiss in front of the Mormon Tabernacle in Salt Lake City without being assaulted by Mormon thugs . . . so while there are confused young gay Mormon men telling you it gets better . . . you would be well advised, young gay people, to steer clear of the Mormon church.

Posted by: Ricco | Apr 6, 2012 9:58:49 AM

3. As a gay BYU alum, I can honestly say, I never thought I would see the day when coming out wouldn't get you expelled, disfellowshiped and or sitting in front of an honor code hearing. Kudos Cougars and alies!

Posted by: HomoMomo | Apr 6, 2012 10:17:30 AM

4. While I agree that BYU isn't welcoming to gays in the least, I have to say that just about anywhere in this country you run the risk of being attacked by thugs of some type for kissing in public, so it's a little dumb to pretend like it's something that would only happen there. Should gay people avoid going outside? No.

Posted by: Joey Y | Apr 6, 2012 10:18:12 AM

5. This is like watching a bunch of battered wives saying "its's not so bad...he only hits me when he's drunk..."

I'm sorry for your tortured souls and all that noise but you're still Mormons. Just because you're gay doesn't excuse you from that. Just like being "part black" doesn't excuse you from being a member of the KKK, being gay and having people who "support you," if not your legal equaltiy, doesnt excuse you from giving money to one of the most racist, sexist and homophobic cults In the world.

Yeah... You're gay, good for you. But you're Mormon. Lie down with dogs, get fleas.

Posted by: Jasun | Apr 6, 2012 10:33:05 AM

6. I would be very interested in a follow up to this story. Who produced the film? Did the Mormon Church approve of this? What will happen to these kids now? I really don't think this is some kind of breakthrough - something will follow as a result of this.

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 6, 2012 10:35:44 AM

7. This film was put together by the Far Between project, which recently released a slew of videos centered around being gay and Mormon : www.farbetweenmovie.com

I think this video will be more significant to those who relate to Mormonism. Videos like this are significant because they promote conversation. And when conversation occurs, ignorance disappears.

Posted by: Evan | Apr 6, 2012 10:47:42 AM

8. Gotta agree with Jack M . . . I'd be interested in seeing a follow-up

Posted by: Continuum | Apr 6, 2012 10:53:08 AM

9. One thing you can say about the Mormons is that they have historically been good at reading the handwriting on the wall (see: polygamy). These young people are the handwriting on the wall.

Yes, it will get better - because they will make it so.

Posted by: Jacques | Apr 6, 2012 11:34:17 AM

10. I actually wish the Mormon church weren't as flexible as it is. In a decade, they'll be gay-friendly. Just like they're now spreading all over the world two decades after deciding whites are the superior race.

At it core, the religion is dangerous. That might change, too, I suppose. But the brainwashed today sound just like the brainwashed of three decades ago. The soap formula's been changed a bit, but it's still scrubbing out whatever isn't "approved".

Posted by: BobN | Apr 6, 2012 11:43:42 AM

11. argh. "whites are no longer the superior race"

Posted by: BobN | Apr 6, 2012 11:44:29 AM

12. I really wanted to like this video, i mean i REALLY wanted to like it. then I watched it.

I was depressed to see that this film gives off more of a Mormon-defense message than an LGBT-inclusive one. There are messages that "it got better", but no strong applicable messages or plans of action HOW.

Some wonderful nuggets of truth....but the aftertaste.... it might as well have a coda saying "Don't worry, you can still get your own planet"

I hope, like Evan says, this at least gets conversation going. I hope it gives LGBT Mormons the hope and courage to at least Come Out and address these issues. But I've yet to meet, in my life, a truly HAPPY adult Mormon. Gay or Straight. The happiest mormons are ex-mormons.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Apr 6, 2012 12:49:04 PM

13. And you know that this is just part of the Mormon-sponsored "Image Repair Campaign" that hopes to make people think nice things about Mormons.

Just like that ghastly "And I'm a Mormon" ad series, this is just another video that was commissioned by, approved by and probably edited by the highest places in the Mormon cult.

Don't think this was done by a few university kids. It wasn't.

Posted by: Jasun Mark | Apr 6, 2012 3:05:24 PM

14. the "and I'm a Mormon..." campaign was pathetic to the extreme.

"Hi, i love to paint, and i also love surfing! And...I'm a Mormon!"

great. now about you address the real reason people think you're a brainwashed member of a bats**t cult - which aint got nothing to do with surfing.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Apr 6, 2012 3:09:22 PM

15. THOSE WHO SEE THIS AS PURE MORMON PROPAGANDA ARE CORRECT -- Yes, it is lovely that they are being much nicer PUBLICLY to their Gay kids, but the kids would not be so tortured if not raised in a culture where uniformity is required.
    THERE IS NO MECHANISM IN THAT CHURCH to accept Gays as equal members, if they are not celibate, or marry heterosexually.
    THIS IS THE CHURCH THAT INVADED CALIFORNIA WITH PROP 8, and is deathly afraid of the upset that Gay family members cause by being absent in the afterlife

SO BYU, IN ORDER NOT TO LOOK BAD, will promote an atmosphere where those "afflicted with same sex attraction" can feel a bit better than before.

Posted by: Bob | Apr 6, 2012 3:31:39 PM

16. C'mon guys, lets chill with the conspiracy theories just a tad and appreciate the video for what it is: young gay Mormons reaching out to others with the message that "You are not alone" and that there are people out there who love and accept them.

I personally know the people responsible for the film and a couple of the kids in it. Trust me, this isn't some part of some orchestrated church PR campaign - they were acting on their own and putting forth their own message. I feel like they did a great job and showed a lot of courage.

If change is ever going to happen in the Mormon church, this is how it starts.

Posted by: Clint | Apr 6, 2012 3:32:04 PM

17. @CLINT, yeah, sure, the kids did it on their own, sure.
    NOTHING COMING OUT OF BYU IS TRUSTWORTHY
    --- remember last year, the planted story about the Black non-mormon basketball player who screwed his mormon gf, was kicked off the team, and later redeemed?

Posted by: Bob | Apr 6, 2012 5:08:33 PM

18. You know gays are becoming more accepted in society when they begin to dare to conciliate their stupid religious belief with the normalcy of their different sexuality. Rational evolution, not without conflict OBVIOUSLY.

Posted by: SayTheTruth | Apr 6, 2012 5:20:01 PM

19. http://www.washingtonblade.com/2012/04/06/mormons-working-to-overturn-md-marriage-law/
    Maryland mormons work to overturn new marriage law

Posted by: Bob | Apr 6, 2012 6:06:39 PM

20. Thank god for these kids. I've been following this story on a few sites and the vast majority of the comments are filled with hate-filled vitriol and are left there not by mormons, but by gays. At least they are reaching out to their fellow students and trying to build a community while standing up to the friction of many around them.

One could argue that they should simply leave their environment, but where should they go? A scan of the attitude in the gay community, especially from comment sections like these, confirms every negative thing that they have been taught about gays and leaving the church for the gay community would just be trading hate for a different hate.

I commend them from trying to create a home for themselves where they can be accepted for who they are when both groups yelling over their existence demand that they change in order to be accepted.

Posted by: Clintint | Apr 6, 2012 7:06:46 PM

21. Yeah, it WILL will get better -- when you leave the Church. They hate you and want you dead. Why continue to kiss their ass?

Mormonism, like all religion, is just a scheme to separate stupid people from their money -- and thank them for taking it. Just walk away and be free.

--BYU grad and former Mormon.

Posted by: Daddy Todd | Apr 6, 2012 7:40:54 PM

22. My my my , look how accepting and inclusive the diversity - embracing gay community is being! Well played gentlemen, you are now both hypocrites AND f*ckwits.

This thread is EXACTLY why no one likes us! So these guys have a different religion than you do... so what? We want religious groups to be accepting of us, yet we attack the people who make overtures to connect and create a dialogue. How does that not strike you as a counterproductive practice? Seriously.

Posted by: Kyle in Madison | Apr 6, 2012 8:09:23 PM

23. This is video is deceptive especially to non members. If I was a none member watching this video and had a limited knowledge of the LDS church I may actually believe you could be actively gay and attend BYU and be a member in good standing in the the church. I really dislike this video. It is like a woman stating she only gets beaten when her husband is drunk. I feel so bad for these guys. They made a video with the best of intentions in their shattering souls, and now it will be used for political propaganda for the church. I am sure they will love this. I am sorry, but being gay and mormon will not work. Every single one of those guys will crack and become sexually active with another man, same goes for the women. You cannot live a a sexless life. It just will not work. When they do finally crack under the pressure it will either be the best thing that has happened to them or they will ultimately emotionally lose it. It makes me cry, but it not a cheerful light.

Posted by: Josh | Apr 6, 2012 9:24:31 PM

24. I have no religion simply because, it causes at best punched, at worst genocide. I offend nobody & make no claims

Posted by: Gordon | Apr 6, 2012 9:31:24 PM

25. Oh please. This cult is the reason there's gay suicides, gay prejudice, and anti gay driscrimination. They can take their pathetic "it gets better" video and take it to their elected officials/Church and make THEM believe it. Until that day, this is empty promises, and falsehood coming from people ALIGNED with homophobia.

Posted by: Kyle | Apr 6, 2012 10:26:43 PM