Jesus Christ | News | Tim Tebow

Tim Tebow on Using the Broadcast Sports Platform for Jesus: VIDEO

Easter_tebow

On Saturday, I mentioned that 30,000 were expected for a Tim Tebow Easter appearance at a Texas megachurch. About half that number showed up.

The Easter "sermon", Tim Tebow-style:

"I have actually had the same routine the last 7 years and just this year they started calling it 'Tebowing', which I have no idea why...But I do think it's pretty cool because at least prayer is being talked about and I still have a platform that, when cameras are rolling, they can't just turn it off, and they have to hear me say, 'I want to thank my Lord and savior Jesus Christ."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I'm not a christian by any means, but I would like to point out Matthew 6:1.

Posted by: Morgan | Apr 9, 2012 8:53:40 AM

2. Tiebow's prayer before each game: "Dear Lord, please don't let the cameras catch me staring at that guy's firm, muscular ass."

Posted by: VoenixRising | Apr 9, 2012 8:58:02 AM

3. Totally not gay of course

Posted by: Steve | Apr 9, 2012 9:06:45 AM

4. He really can't help it. He's been brainwashed since early childhood.

Posted by: milpert | Apr 9, 2012 9:07:41 AM

5. Thank you pointing that out Morgan.

Doesn't this just beg the question: If Jesus is responsible for Tebow's success, then why isn't Tebow more successful? Is Jesus mediocre at football?

Posted by: RyanInSacto | Apr 9, 2012 9:26:29 AM

6. Tebow's smarter than we give him credit for. We all know that the shelf life of a pro athlete is limited, and they all face the problem of what to do with the rest of their lives. Tebow's got that solved. To the extent that the same clucks who follow sports also support Christian con artist ministers, he's set for life. (Until he gets caught with some cute young guy lifting his luggage, at least...)

Posted by: jomicur | Apr 9, 2012 9:33:04 AM

7. Matt's point is well taken. You can find a quote from the bible supporting or opposing anything. The bible is actually a collection of books written over many centuries by scores of authors with differing points of view. Everyone uses the bible as a cafeteria, picking and choosing the "foods" they like and leaving the others behind. Conservatives love to quote the anti-homosexual passages but ignore those that require us to stone to death those who work on the sabbath. And so it goes.

Posted by: jack | Apr 9, 2012 9:33:12 AM

8. http://wp.me/p1se8R-21m Just canonize him already and get it over with. I'd be more patient if I was reading about him giving some of his millions to worthwhile charities.

Posted by: DiatribesAndOvations | Apr 9, 2012 9:46:01 AM

9. Has anyone asked Rick Santorum about Tebow wearing a pink (Pink, for god's sake!) shirt?

When I saw that I heard Margaret White, Carrie's mother as portrayed by Piper Laurie, intone "I should have known it would be pink. Let's burn it then we'll pray!" Plus he showed his dirtypillows in that Jockey ad, the sinner.

Posted by: Caliban | Apr 9, 2012 9:59:19 AM

10. Good for him. I'm glad that religion makes him happy. Let people do what they want. Let gay men and women serve openly in the military. Let gay men and women get legally married. And let religious people, gay and straight, worship god the way they want to worship. If someone is openly religious, it should be treated with a collective "good for him" or yawn. If someone is openly gay, it should be treated the same way. He's let us be. Let's leave him be.

Posted by: anon | Apr 9, 2012 10:11:58 AM

11. Just another celebrity leveraging his fame to sell something.

Posted by: Mark C | Apr 9, 2012 10:37:24 AM

12. Wonder how much money rolled in Sunday. Nice work, if you can get it.

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Apr 9, 2012 10:37:32 AM

13. Pretty in pink!

"Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven." !

Posted by: Brains | Apr 9, 2012 11:03:04 AM

14. ANON: Wow, a voice of reason on a site that is often noted for its hysterics. I agree with you 100%, I wish I could have said it as well. Please keep posting on this site. We need reasonable people to contribute to a healthy dialogue.

Posted by: jack | Apr 9, 2012 11:25:34 AM

15. I am a big fan of Tim Tebow, but this Easter service (above) seems to be askew. Easter is about Jesus, the risen Lord Who died for the sins of all who believe in Him and rose in victory over sin, the grave, and Satan. IT's all about Jesus, nothing else. The focus should always be on Jesus and what He has done for us, not on anyone, Tebow include. I don't go to church or worship because of Tim Tebow. The focus should have been on Jesus throughout not on celebrity or sports. Jesus will not share His glory with another. HE alone is worthy is praise and worship. Step aside, focus on Jesus!

Posted by: Javier | Apr 9, 2012 12:52:18 PM

16. Javier: IT is all one big ancient myth. But if it works for you, so be it. I would rather make science, logic and reason the lights that guide my life. And that works for me. Is this a great country, or what?

Posted by: jack | Apr 9, 2012 1:18:34 PM

17. @ Jack and Anon: Tiebow is more than just openly religious. He is proselytizing, which way so many people - who are secular, have other faiths or find the notion that the Almighty gives a rat's ass about football - offensive.

Posted by: MichaelJ | Apr 9, 2012 3:26:13 PM

18. Sorry -- the end of my comment should have read, "...find the notion that the Almighty gives a rat's as about football offsensive -find Tiebow offsensive."

Posted by: MichaelJ | Apr 9, 2012 3:34:49 PM

19. because, apparently, millions think that God cares more about helping a team win a football game and turn reluctant-homosexuals straight than about ending famine, leukemia in children, or helping those who are dying from war and poverty all over the world.

it seems many believe that God has the same priorities as a low-aiming 15 year old straight boy whose goal in life is to be a line-cook at Hooters.

yay?

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Apr 9, 2012 3:47:31 PM

20. Kiwi: You can add that God apparently did not care enough about Tim Tebow's team... they didn't get to the Super Bowl and the Broncos traded Tebow away. What did Tebow do to make Jesus so angry with him? Didn't pray hard enough, I guess.

Posted by: RyanInSacto | Apr 9, 2012 4:38:33 PM

21. Homegirl is looking great in pink.

Posted by: kenny | Apr 9, 2012 8:42:08 PM