Glee | Whitney Houston

'Glee' Honors Whitney Houston: VIDEO

GleeWhitney

Next week's Glee revolves around the unmistakable songs of the late singer Whitney Houston, and in anticipation Fox has released a clip of the stars singing Houston's iconic "How Will I Know."

Called "Dance With Somebody," the episode will reportedly feature eight Houston songs, including power anthem "It's Not Right, But It's Okay," as well as the titular track.

Until then, take a listen to Glee's rendition of "How Will I Know" AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. lame

Posted by: JJ | Apr 19, 2012 4:28:01 PM

2. lame

Posted by: JJ | Apr 19, 2012 4:28:40 PM

3. Now that's just flat out teriffic.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Apr 19, 2012 4:29:14 PM

4. A cappella. Very cool!

Posted by: KJ | Apr 19, 2012 4:30:20 PM

5. They did amazing

Posted by: Ben | Apr 19, 2012 4:34:42 PM

6. Splendid.

Posted by: jeffreychrist | Apr 19, 2012 4:38:29 PM

7. how will I know if they really love me? If Dave Ehrenstein says "Now that's just flat out terrific.". Cough.

Posted by: JJ | Apr 19, 2012 4:43:43 PM

8. When someone else is singing, it's not Whitney Houston's song. "How Will I Know" is by Narada Michael Walden, George Merrill, and Shannon Rubicam.

Posted by: Vint | Apr 19, 2012 4:44:04 PM

9. wow

Posted by: Grover Underwood | Apr 19, 2012 4:53:20 PM

10. These tributes episodes where they try to cram as many songs by 1 artist into a threadbare plot are always the worst episodes of Glee.

Posted by: endo | Apr 19, 2012 5:08:48 PM

11. I am impressed.

Posted by: enough already | Apr 19, 2012 5:10:35 PM

12. I seriously can't stop watching this. Why can't they do MORE stuff like this?? This is a show about show choir. I'd rather they only do one or two songs per episode if it means stripped down versions like this, new awesome arrangements like Teenage Dream, or cool mash-ups like Rumor Has It/Someone Like You, rather than slick, over-produced numbers where they're just lamely mimicking the original. Plus this video gets to the fantasy element at the heart of the show. Think how resonant it would be if this were woven into the plot with Rachel singing about Finn, Kurt singing about Blaine and Mercedes singing about Sam (rather than just "It's Whitney Houston week!" like we know they're going to do). Four friends meeting in the school hallway and singing about their crushes is SO what this show (and musicals in general) are about. Not say a karaoke Umbrella performance with fake rain and black backdrops that takes you completely out of the world of the show.

OK rant over. I'm going to watch this now for the 5 billionth time.

Posted by: Jase | Apr 19, 2012 5:11:10 PM

13. I seriously can't stop watching it. Why can't they do MORE stuff like this?? This is a show about show choir. I'd rather they only do one or two songs per episode if it means stripped down versions like this, new awesome arrangements like Teenage Dream, or cool mash-ups like Rumor Has It/Someone Like You, rather than slick, over-produced numbers where they're just lamely mimicking the original. Plus this video gets to the fantasy element at the heart of the show. Think how resonant it would be if this were woven into the plot with Rachel singing about Finn, Kurt singing about Blaine and Mercedes singing about Sam (rather than just "It's Whitney Houston week!" like we know they're going to do). Four friends meeting in the school hallway and singing about their crushes is SO what this show (and musicals in general) are about. Not say, a karaoke Umbrella performance with rain and black backgrounds that takes you completely out of the world of the show.

OK rant over. I'm going to watch it again now for the 5 billionth time.

Posted by: Jase | Apr 19, 2012 5:12:44 PM

14. Nice.

Posted by: Rocco | Apr 19, 2012 5:24:47 PM

15. God bless auto-tune. I guess.

Posted by: finkles2000 | Apr 19, 2012 5:52:03 PM

16. This is probably inspired by this amazing isolated voice track by Whitney herself http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCwa0mymt-U

Posted by: Great Dane | Apr 19, 2012 6:21:05 PM

17. I love Santana's dress. Beautiful. Really like the arrangement of the song, as well. Classy.

Posted by: MattS | Apr 19, 2012 6:38:12 PM

18. Basically, I agree with Jase. Nice to see a simpler arrangement. And I think it does describe the plot development. There is supposed to be tension between Kurt and Blaine about Kurt's move to New York.

However, I am a bit distracted by the gowns the girls are wearing. I know this is a fantasy, but they are wearing serious designer dresses. They look great, but there's no way they could really afford them.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Apr 19, 2012 8:07:31 PM

19. Whitney this, Whitney that....blah blah barf

Posted by: Gonzo | Apr 19, 2012 8:42:54 PM

20. Whitney this, Whitney that....blah blah barf

Posted by: Gonzo | Apr 19, 2012 8:42:57 PM

21. Gonzo, as the saying goes, if you can't say anything nice, (or constructive), then shut the hell up.

Posted by: Reidsb | Apr 19, 2012 9:40:01 PM