Australia | Music | News | The Voice

BigGayDeal.com

Blind Teen Has Susan Boyle Moment on Australia's 'The Voice': VIDEO

Leahcar

Rachael Leahcar (whose name, incidentally, is a palindrome), an 18-year-old with a degenerative sight disorder which has left her 90% blind, wowed judges with a version of Edith Piaf's "La Vie En Rose" this week.

Said Leahcar: "I was the first to draw their attention to the irony of (the blind auditions). I think it's hilarious. When I first heard them cheering I was just overwhelmed with emotion that people would be cheering for me," she said. "It was the best feeling in the world, ever, for anyone to experience."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. personally I think this is fantastic. Good on you and I hope you go far.

Posted by: shop.bent | Apr 17, 2012 9:59:34 AM

2. So lovely. And what a treat to hear someone pay a tribute to Piaf. Surely one of the great historic voices of the 20th century.

Posted by: The Milkman | Apr 17, 2012 10:02:21 AM

3. Wow! And angels wept at the sound of her incredible voice (and so did I). Wow!

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | Apr 17, 2012 10:08:56 AM

4. Wow, her voice is magical, I hope she goes far.

Posted by: RONTEX | Apr 17, 2012 10:09:04 AM

5. Right there with you, Phoenix--and I don't mist up very often at online clips. Her voice is exquisite; if she records this song for her debut album, I'm snapping it up Day One.

Posted by: Dback | Apr 17, 2012 10:18:52 AM

6. She should have done it all in French. It just sounds better.

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 17, 2012 10:19:02 AM

7. @Jack M: Agreed.

Posted by: The Milkman | Apr 17, 2012 10:39:36 AM

8. .......wow.

Posted by: Tom in COS | Apr 17, 2012 11:23:44 AM

9. Gosh darn it. Now I've got bloodshot eyes for the start of the workday. Wonderful voice. Thanks for the posting.

Posted by: Mic | Apr 17, 2012 11:25:27 AM

10. Seriously, Jack M? Everyone's a critic.

Posted by: Sam Armstrong | Apr 17, 2012 11:29:14 AM

11. @ Jack M, et al.: While I think "La Vie en Rose" is beautiful in itself, I believe the English was necessary to reach out to her audience even more effectively. A stunning performance.

Posted by: Chuck | Apr 17, 2012 11:56:11 AM

12. Mon dieu quelle voix magnifique. Très inhabituelle et completement singuliere. Et quelle douceur dans sa beauté.

Michel
    I had to write this in french guys, to keep with the spirit.

Posted by: Michel Filion | Apr 17, 2012 1:42:55 PM

13. Amazing voice. Even more amazing is Seal and Keith Urban as judges. Wow.

Posted by: MattS | Apr 17, 2012 2:56:06 PM

14. that young lady can sing!

Posted by: robert | Apr 17, 2012 3:35:49 PM

15. That IS "THE Voice"

Posted by: Iwontgrowup | Apr 17, 2012 7:06:33 PM

16. Holy mother, she NAILED La Vie en Rose! Usually hate when someone covers that particular song, it never equals Piaf. But this girl...wow! I'd swear I have a bi-lingual version of it, by Piaf, so not bothered at all by this. Love-love-LOVEd it!

Now why is there never anything like THIS on the US versions of shows like this??

Posted by: jim | Apr 17, 2012 9:22:50 PM

17. For the purists, Rachael has another live version at youtube, all in french (except for the verse), and without audience "participation" Beautiful!

Posted by: jim | Apr 17, 2012 9:37:11 PM

18. The judges obviously didn't know she was blind, but the judge she eventually went with (Delta Goodrem) was the same age as Rachael when she was diagnosed with cancer. Ideally suited. Absolutely beautiful performance.

Posted by: Glenn | Apr 18, 2012 1:22:21 AM

19. Is that Invisible Children's Jason Russell on the judges' panel? Quite a coup.

Posted by: David L Rattigan | Apr 18, 2012 5:12:06 AM

20. Even if she were normally sighted that would have been a performance for the ages- knowing what she's had to deal with makes it still more affecting. Bravo, Rachel. There's always room at the top for one more. Can't wait for the encore.

Posted by: Rob | Apr 18, 2012 7:11:25 AM