Gotye | Music | Music Video | News

Acapella Quintet Covers Gotye's 'Somebody That I Used to Know': VIDEO

Pentatonix

Been meaning to post this for a while, and Gotye's recent appearance on SNL reminded me I had it in the hopper. It's L.A.-based group Pentatonix.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I don't know where they get off thinking they can just come right out and sing about my life. What a talented, tuneful, heartfelt, outrage.

Posted by: uffda | Apr 17, 2012 1:11:18 PM

2. Nice, but I still like this version better:

Posted by: David | Apr 17, 2012 2:06:39 PM

3. they're singing an angsty song without the angst.... meh.

Posted by: Chad | Apr 17, 2012 2:28:36 PM

4. I like the original (and the video, too!)

Posted by: 99% | Apr 17, 2012 2:30:18 PM

5. Clicked through to post what Chad posted. I can't think of a song more inappropriate for the passive upper-nasal voice. And yet, here they are presenting it that way :(

Posted by: Mike | Apr 17, 2012 2:32:12 PM

6. I wonder if they were any more serious, if the y'd melt? Cement room with creepy lighting? Jesus, I'm afraid.

Posted by: M | Apr 17, 2012 2:37:31 PM

7. @David, you are right. That group (Walk Off The Earth) is fantastic (and cute, especially the first guy who sings).

Pentatonix was truly amazing on the last season of The Sing Off. They won and deservedly so. I wouldn't be surprised if Pentatonix would be the first group from The Sing Off to have commercial success. They really are that good.

Posted by: MattS | Apr 17, 2012 2:44:58 PM

8. I get all kinds of angst and emotion from this, don't harsh on the Pentatonix! They were really fantastic on THE SING-OFF.

Also, the charity they supported was the Trevor Project.

They're all kinds of gay, and all kinds of adorable.

That said, I do not like this cover as much as I liked their adorkable nu-80's a capella cover of Video Killed The Radio Star:

Posted by: Strepsi | Apr 17, 2012 2:50:56 PM

9. I'm always amazed that people who are critical of others feel it is very important to share that critique for everyone to hear and actually take the time and effort to post it. I think the world could use a little less negativity and more heartfelt, chilling performances like this one.

Posted by: Chadd | Apr 17, 2012 7:41:32 PM

10. This song has spawned a lot of covers; and I like hearing the different approaches. The group has some real possibilities.

Posted by: Markt | Apr 17, 2012 10:09:42 PM

11. They are really amazing!! Brilliant version of the song.

Posted by: ajthedj | Apr 17, 2012 11:04:38 PM

12. That was amazing - as always. Pentatonics never fails to bring it.

Posted by: Tarc | Apr 18, 2012 9:11:42 AM