Couples | Dance | News | Reality TV | Simon Cowell

Gay Couple of 16 Years Charms 'Britain's Got Talent': VIDEO

Sugardandies

Soren and Bradley, who met at a gay choral festival in Tampa, Florida in 1996, have danced together for ten years and describe themselves as "the most sparking thing in ballroom since pink champagne," made a splash last week on Britain's Got Talent.

Watch them woo Simon and the judges, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I love that I live in a country like the UK that can show this on prime time tv and no-one thinks it strange or dangerous and that people like Soren and Bradley are celebrated. Compare the that to the response Republicans give a serving soldier in Afghanistan or a gay couple kissing at a Rick Santorum event.

Posted by: John in London | Apr 2, 2012 9:36:32 PM

2. Could Simon Cowell be more clueless? He wants one of them to be Fred, the other Ginger, and never shall Ginger lift Fred.

Rather missing the whole point.

Posted by: Vint | Apr 2, 2012 9:38:26 PM

3. I don't really get dance, so I'll take it for granted that "their love for each other came across," etc. They had clearly worked very hard together and deserved the success. I would need to view it again to be sure about Simon's claim that they nearly fell over; I didn't notice, on a single viewing, any inkling that they were off balance at any time. The look like a pair of sweet guys.

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | Apr 2, 2012 10:13:36 PM

4. Brought me huge joy, these guys!

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Apr 2, 2012 10:16:38 PM

5. I love same-sex ballroom dancing. Bravo to these brave men who stood quiet in the beginning and just focused on their performance while people in the audience started chuckling and then got all YES votes!!!! Go guys!!!

Posted by: Philip | Apr 2, 2012 10:17:37 PM

6. Bravo guys! The more we see this kind of art form, the more likely it will be appreciated and not laughed at. Those guys have guts.

Posted by: Angela Channing | Apr 2, 2012 11:04:23 PM

7. Awesome!!!!!!!! so touching and beautiful.

We need more of this on television.

Posted by: A.L | Apr 3, 2012 12:20:31 AM

8. What took you so long to post this Towleroad? I have been waiting for over a week to see it here. But as they say, Better late than never . . . or is it sorry. Anyway - thank you. They are such a joy to watch.

And I absolutely adore David Walliams, of Little Britain. He is so respectful, so funny, and does a lot to balance out the stodgy, Simon Cowell who is trying so hard not to appear homophobic, and so worried about the rumors circulating that he is gay.

You would think a multi-millionaire, and an entertainment mogul, who seems to take great delight in passing out harsh pronouncements would have a thicker skin.

But David Walliams is wonderful. So refreshing to see a man, or woman, so comfortable in his own skin. It makes the rest of relax in our own skins.

Great performance. I hope these guys have an array of ballroom dances in their repertoire: the cha-cha, tango, the jive, the quick step, and the foxtrot.

Posted by: Ricco | Apr 3, 2012 12:21:44 AM

9. Romantic, real and far more authentic than hetros in ballroom dancing competitions here in the U.S...where we're force fed watching them make belief romance.

Posted by: IonMusic | Apr 3, 2012 12:21:50 AM

10. Meanwhile, on the biggest singing show in the U.S, American Idol, producers sway their contestants who are LGBT to NOT speak about or even hint at being gay (i.e STAY CLOSETED) because it's a "family show" meanwhile, we get heterosexual couples shoved down our throat on American Idol, especially to garner sympathy votes for the struggling straight family man/women.
    Homophobia needs to be challenged in this nation.

Posted by: USC Trojan Fan | Apr 3, 2012 12:23:55 AM

11. The truth is, the GLBT community in Great Britian/UK has worked far harder than GLBT in America. There are two types of Americans gays, those who are out and don't care to be involved in equality because they are too busy going clubbing, and then there are those are are gay but do everything within their capacity to try NOT to be gay and say things like "I'm not into the gay scene/gay community" and same said people are the exact types of gays to not even show up to vote during an election that has important gay rights ballots. So, gays in Africa, Europe, Asia, and Middle East work farrrrrrrr harder with far more courage to attain rights than the complacent gays in the U.S

Posted by: Real Talk | Apr 3, 2012 12:26:51 AM

12. Bradley's costume is just completely unflattering as opposed to Soren's.

I think people were chuckling because it was cheesy as hell. I mean, the song is as schmaltzy as it comes. 16 year olds are mocked for their Twilight antics -- it's even worse when it's two grown men being so Disney mushy.

Posted by: Lucrece | Apr 3, 2012 12:41:03 AM

13. I wish I didn't hate that song so I could enjoy this a little better. Congrats to the guys!

Posted by: JD | Apr 3, 2012 12:51:14 AM

14. The song is schmaltzy. I agree; but their performance actually works to enhance the song and bring meaning on a personal level. It is clear they care a great deal, at the same time they draw the audience in, like an invitation, and share that love with them. Whether singing or dancing, that is the point of a duet, to make us believe they are a duo, but without locking us out or alienating us.

IONMUSIC is correct when he says that Soren and Bradley's performance was "real and far more authentic than hetros in ballroom dancing competitions here in the U.S.

Really, this is about as close to Fred and Ginger as I have ever seen, who made us believe not just in the dance but the romance that precipitates the dance.

Posted by: Ricco | Apr 3, 2012 2:24:29 AM

15. BGT's added soundtrack (at the end)
    of "Love is in the Air" was a nice touch.
    I danced to that gay anthem many times
    around NYC clubs. (the Saint, anyone?)

Posted by: Marcito | Apr 3, 2012 3:40:48 AM

16. Lovely.

Posted by: Matt26 | Apr 3, 2012 4:22:11 AM

17. @Lucrece -- MAYBE you have a point, but it is on top of your head, you buzz killer. We can't be disapproving of the homos we do not like, then ask the world not to be judgemental.
    MEANWHILE, they converted millions of people into seeing love in a Gay couple, have you?

Posted by: Bob | Apr 3, 2012 4:32:58 AM

18. The shirt with the fringe was awful. Other than that, the whole thing was beautiful. Yes, even the schmaltzy song. I hope they go far!!!

Posted by: peterparker | Apr 3, 2012 6:24:19 AM

19. Yes, cheesy, but also very cute.

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 3, 2012 7:46:41 AM

20. Courageous and inspiring. Good on them!

Posted by: Dana | Apr 3, 2012 8:04:17 AM

21. These guys are great dancers and I am glad they have had such a good life together. However, they don't represent me. I am a gay man who has more in common with the guys at the corner bar than accomplished dancers. And if they don't like it: f**k em!

Posted by: jack | Apr 3, 2012 8:32:04 AM

22. It shows what an ass Simon is that he couldn't even be bothered remembering the "the tall" one's name.

Posted by: Scott | Apr 3, 2012 8:32:44 AM

23. I am happy for them. It is not something that I have ever known.For me sex has always been about lust and pleasure not about marriage and kids. To me, guys that want to settle down with a partner and kids are about as foreign from me as you can get.

Posted by: jack | Apr 3, 2012 11:32:58 AM

24. I agree that the costumes left a LOT to be desired, but if you notice in the interview portion before they hit the stage, they were dressed in what would have been a far better outfit. Methinks that once again the producers of the show thought the outfit they wore to dance would be better. It's hard when facing a try-out like that to say no to producers who, in actuality, control much of what's going to be presented - and possibly some of what's going to "go through" to the next round ...

Posted by: wds | Apr 3, 2012 11:51:47 AM

25. A the award for ballsy performance of the week goes to: Soren and Bradley! Interesting comments by the peanut gallery here, too.

Posted by: jamal49 | Apr 3, 2012 12:16:32 PM