News | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

Apologetic Manny Pacquiao To Gay People: 'I'm not condemning you'

MannyPThe television show Extra went ahead with their interview with Manny Pacquiao after the boxer said he was against gay marriage.

Though he does not support same-sex nuptials, an article in the National Conservative Examiner made it appear that Pacquiao quoted scripture to justify his politics. This caused massive outrage and ultimately led LA's The Grove, where Extra is taped, to ban Pacquiao. Thus, host Mario Lopez traveled to one of Pacquiao's homes, where the boxer apologized.

"To the gay community, I apologize," Pacquiao told Lopez. "I'm against same-sex marriage, but I'm not condemning you. My favorite verse is 'Love one another as you love yourself. Love your neighbor.' So I love everybody!"

The author of the original article also offers a statement of contrition: "I sincerely apologize for the confusion my column has caused. I certainly do not represent Pacquiao nor his team."

Comments

1. Do we really have to pay attention when any kind of celebrity voices this same, old, trite blah-blah about "love you, hate what you do"?

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | May 17, 2012 1:21:30 PM

2. All of ALAN'S post can be some up by 4 points:

1) gays keep whining and complaining about their so-called rights

2) gays should stop blaming Christians

3) hostile Christians are just reacting to the vitriol gays direct at them.

4) this story doesn't matter, once again gays are over-reacting

Posted by: anony6 | May 17, 2012 1:28:11 PM

3. So after all that, the only person left that's confused is Manny. Nice try at damage control, Pal.

Posted by: Jack M | May 17, 2012 1:32:03 PM

4. manny has a change of heart after his sponsors
    explain money to him. he didn't see much future in picking pineapples.

Posted by: walter | May 17, 2012 1:43:22 PM

5. Oh. Well, then I feel so much better knowing he doesn't condemn me.

Donkeyhole.

Posted by: Danny in the East Village | May 17, 2012 1:48:29 PM

6. Can someone please explain to me why we have the energy and the clout to get a boxer banned from a venue for the crime of stupidity, but not to get ENDA or ERA passed? I guess morons are just easier to go after.

Posted by: Dan | May 17, 2012 2:34:01 PM

7. @Dan. The Grove is a private property that made a business decision that they did not in any way want to be associated with this person and his comments. No one had to persuade them to vote on the matter.

Posted by: james | May 17, 2012 2:43:33 PM

8. Manny is lying. I truly didn't care one iota what he said previously, but now I'm not happy. Manny didn't bring up the Leviticus quote but he DID insult our president by saying he's leading America on the wrong path and that he should be a better leader on this issue, he DID call homosexuality unnatural and against God's law, he DID invoke Sodom and Gomorrah to justify his anti-gay views. He's a joke and backtracking to save his sponsors which are reportedly VERY displeased.

Posted by: Francis | May 17, 2012 2:47:20 PM

9. @Lucas, this is the distinction: the "Alans" of this site sure do have a lot of criticisms of "Gay Leaders" and "Gay Liberals" and yet take every opportunity to give excuses for not standing up to be counted, themselves, and put their own face and name to the fight for Equality and even the mose basic grassroots form of "leadership"

It's not "attacking free speech" to tell someone to put their money where their mouth is - it's actually a celebration of it. use your freedom of speech to speak freely, not anonymously like a coward.

time and time again the same type of people log on to this site an anonymously complain about liberals and "other gays" yet they never, in any instance, lead by EXAMPLE and show themselves as being the very people they demand "other gays" be.

and they likely never will. some people can only speak their minds if it's from a place of anonymity - hence their utter powerlessness.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 17, 2012 3:13:21 PM

10. My day is not complete until LittlePiPi calls me a coward and questioning my manhood because he disagrees with my opinion on this blog--and because I don't have a link to my website with a photo shoot of me with cuddling with the GLAAD Award I won for my achievements in fighting for LGBT rights.

Posted by: Jason | May 17, 2012 3:18:34 PM

11. He is another over-fed and under-read classic dumb jock who, in this case, takes blows to the head for "sport". Plus, he's an immigran, from the Phillipines, no less. Why anyone is even paying attention to this sub-human is beyond me. Atleast he speaks enough English to be understood by normal people.
    Therein lies the rub. Now get up and bar the door, Kate. We don't want any surprises tonight while we sleep

The

Posted by: vwdavy | May 17, 2012 4:14:43 PM

12. Little Kiwi--How are YOU being a leader in the LGBT community? What are YOUR accomplishments--the ones that you obviously feel entitle you to use Towleroad to trash anyone who makes a comment or identifies a need, issue or problem in the gay community?

If you are truly a leader why don't you help empower people with info on opportunities to help them change whatever that happen to be complaining about. That is leadership--and would show that you are hold yourself to the standards you hold us to. Otherwise it just makes you look like the indidividuals you attack--the ones you say exploit TR to self-righteously and arrogantly condemn and complain on a daily basis without offering any real solutions.

Posted by: Mark | May 17, 2012 4:22:32 PM

13. You notice Littlekiwi never suggests someone he agrees with not post anonymously. He only demands that of those who question him or whith whom he disagrees as a tactic to shut them up. He loves his own free speech, not yours... unless you agree with him. If he believes it is imprtant one not post anonymously, he should demand anyone who agrees with him not to do so, and disavow them if they continue.
    But he won't. That would chill the free speach of his supporters.

Posted by: NullNaught | May 17, 2012 4:27:53 PM

14. Well, unless his real name is LittleKiwi, he too is posting anonymously.

Posted by: Tom | May 17, 2012 4:33:59 PM

15. Well, unless his real name is LittleKiwi, he too is posting anonymously.

Posted by: Tom | May 17, 2012 4:34:00 PM

16. LittleKiwi = Gay Blog Fascist

Posted by: Liam | May 17, 2012 4:38:12 PM

17. It seems the waters of anti-gay bigotry are really troubled right now. This is only one of many recent retractions or back peddles after some outrageous homophobic comment was itself met with outrage. It seems that folks are realizing that it really isn't cool (or lucrative) anymore to make stupid, bigoted statements about the LBGT community. Progress?

Posted by: Nino | May 17, 2012 4:38:14 PM

18. It seems the waters of anti-gay bigotry are really troubled right now. This is only one of many recent retractions or back peddles after some outrageous homophobic comment was itself met with outrage. It seems that folks are realizing that it really isn't cool (or lucrative) anymore to make stupid, bigoted statements about the LBGT community. Progress?

Posted by: Nino | May 17, 2012 4:38:31 PM

19. I'm not condemning you...but they bible I believe in is.

Posted by: PJ | May 17, 2012 4:55:46 PM

20. He just doesn't get it. He can't get away with "I love everybody" but I'll stop your weddings...

Posted by: Randy | May 17, 2012 5:40:08 PM

21. Too late.

Posted by: jaragon | May 17, 2012 6:03:58 PM

22. That's right, boxer, feint, duck, and, weave....

Posted by: ROBERT BAKER | May 17, 2012 9:38:26 PM

23. I'm going to pretend I didn't see the thinly veiled anti-immigrant rhetoric in some of these comments and try to play ambassador here.

As a gay Filipino with a devoutly Catholic family, I can say that this is the typical attitude towards same-sex marriage in the Philippines. Catholic doctrine is a huge part of Filipino culture and identity and I would be surprised if Pacquiao spoke otherwise on this issue.

That being said, the Philippines is still an extremely gay-friendly country and its citizens do not try to pretend like gay people don't exist. The Philippines media is saturated with openly gay actors and personalities, and many Filipinos will admit to having glbt friends and knowing gay couples. It is only the concept of same-sex marriage, which contradicts centuries of religious dogma in the country, that is a point of contention for Filipinos.

It is this duplicity of opinion towards gays in the Philippines - being against same-sex marriage while not being homophobic - that seems to be a hard concept to grasp in American politics. It might just be a cultural attitude that gets lost in translation.

Posted by: Unicorn | May 18, 2012 7:31:34 AM

24. I know many a gay dude that would wipe the sidewalk with this tool. Keep the pressure on Nike everyone! He needs to learn a lesson through his pocketbook.

Posted by: RK | May 18, 2012 12:31:16 PM

25. Thanks Pacman. I thought you were cool, but now you disgraced the Filipino community. I support LGBT!

Posted by: Omglook | May 19, 2012 2:27:35 AM