Beenie Man | Jamaica | News

Jamaican Reggae Star Beenie Man Begs for Forgiveness for Years of Singing Gays Should Be Killed: VIDEO

Beenie

In a new video, Jamaican dancehall singer Beenie Man is begging for forgiveness for lyrics he has performed throughtout his career calling for violent deaths to gays and lesbians.

Says Beenie Man in the video, in part:

"Let me make this clear and straight. I have nothing against no one. I respect each and every human being, regardless of which race or creed, regardless of which religious belief you believe in, and regardless of which sexual preference you are, including gays and lesbian people. I respect all human...Please I am begging you do not have me up for some songs I wrote a long time ago. I love each and every one and am just begging each and everyone to do the same."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Beenie's lyrics have called for death to gay people. The Guardian wrote, about the words on a 2004 album:

They include lyrics such as "Hang chi chi gal wid a long piece of rope" [Hang lesbians with a long piece of rope] and "Tek a bazooka and kill batty-f**ker" [Take a bazooka and kill gay men].

Beenie Man has been subject to protests for years for the lyrics, as have other Jamaican "murder music" singers like Buju Banton.

Comments

1. When Biden caved, the President of the United States had to cave. When the President caved, Beenie Man had no choice but to cave. Next up: Pope Benedict XSSVI.

Posted by: Demian | May 18, 2012 8:14:03 AM

2. awww. someone's broke and needs a concert venue...isn't that sad.

Im all for letting people take it back and change - where would the equality movement be if we didn't? But this guy kept it going too long and with too much violent imagery.

Posted by: Allen | May 18, 2012 8:20:24 AM

3. No.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | May 18, 2012 8:23:12 AM

4. so when will he stop singing these songs? he may not be able to buy back his output, but he can forever remove them from his repertoire. when he does that, THEN, and only then, we can talk.

Posted by: bandanajack | May 18, 2012 8:23:27 AM

5. Who?

Posted by: Troy | May 18, 2012 8:23:33 AM

6. I regard this video as a very positive step...
    I hope he is genuinely aware today about the plight of LGBT people -unlike his old self...
    =)

Posted by: George F | May 18, 2012 8:24:23 AM

7. People can change . . . but trust is not something one gives as easily as ones forgiveness.

I would advocate boycotting his concerts. If he is as remorseful as he says, then he should appreciate that he needs to find another way to make a living.

Posted by: Ricco | May 18, 2012 8:27:23 AM

8. put it in a song

Posted by: t | May 18, 2012 8:30:51 AM

9. Do leopards change their spots? I'm told they don't. Where this man is concerned it's hard to change mine. I don't like his history, his culture bias agains gay people, and I don't trust him.

Continue to apologise and espouse your new attitude, do it lots of times, all the time, repeatedly, ernestly over time and I'll think about it. Right now you can go to hell.

Posted by: UFFDA | May 18, 2012 8:31:58 AM

10. Talk is cheap. Let's see some actual work from him on behalf of the LGBT community. Is he volunteering his time at a shelter for LGBT kids? Is he speaking in schools about how bigotry is wrong and how he was wrong? Is he donating time and money to organizations that work to end discrimination? Is he even recording songs with positive messages? If he wants to make things right, just saying "don't hold me accountable for the things that I sing" is not really enough. But there are ways to work himself back -- he should get busy.

Posted by: kit | May 18, 2012 8:32:50 AM

11. I think this is probably really genuine. It feels so. While some Toweroad readers are unfamiliar with him, Beenie Man is a Grammy Award winner, he had a duet with Janet Jackson, and put out more than twenty albums. That said, gay rights activists successfully had him banned from the 2004 MTV Video Music Awards for his anti-gay lyrics. Check out his Wikipedia article to learn more.

Jamaica remains a conflicted, dangerous culture for LGBT people. As one of Jamaica's most famous recording artists, I think it's valuable to consider the sort of impact this can have on impressionable Jamaicans.

We should applaud this.

Posted by: GMB | May 18, 2012 8:33:49 AM

12. Why forgive? the x-tians would say because jesus said so (believe a mythical person, oh yeah), muslims because allah says, and so on but its not about forgiveness its about behavior and only when behavior changes can forgiveness come. So Bennie Man when your behavior changes, then forgiveness can happen. Doing a video doesn't cut it!

Posted by: Silas | May 18, 2012 8:37:59 AM

13. will have to agree with @GMB. I am of Jamaican descent and this could go a long way in Jamaica, where virility is proved by how many women have your children. This is a broad brush I know but it what it is. Wit saying that I will have to wait and see how his contrition develops. The new Prime Minister is also for gay rights. Hey Jamaica maybe changing

Posted by: hassia | May 18, 2012 8:38:39 AM

14. He bigins this statement with 'people are making it difficult for me to perform, so let me set the record straight'. In other words, he's filmed this video so he can continue to get bookings. No other reason.

Posted by: Craig Sanders | May 18, 2012 8:40:56 AM

15. I think this is more financial than an actual heartfelt apology.

Posted by: CB | May 18, 2012 8:41:21 AM

16. *begins. DUH.

Posted by: Craig Sanders | May 18, 2012 8:41:25 AM

17. @DEMIAN: as a resident of Kingston, Jamaica, I can tell you that this had less to do with following Biden's lead (I doubt Beenie Man knows who Biden is) than with following Jay-Z.

The pro-gay Jay-Z interview was big news in Jamaica.

Posted by: tcw | May 18, 2012 8:41:39 AM

18. Well instead of YouTube he should be paying for TV commercials on every channel available in Jamaica. Just had a talk with someone recently about how she is trying to find a way to get her gay cousin out of Jamaica and into the US or Canada legally because he keeps having to move because of harassment.

Posted by: QJ201 | May 18, 2012 8:45:29 AM

19. Does he still sing those songs in concert? If so his words are just calculated so he can play in venues that have banned him in the past.

Posted by: Caliban | May 18, 2012 8:57:51 AM

20. He's forgiven. Now let's move on.

Posted by: Alan | May 18, 2012 8:58:26 AM

21. Let him work for twenty years to change Jamaica's violent and homophobic culture, then we can talk about forgiveness. He did a lot of damage, both in his country and abroad, and he needs to make amends. A one minute video doesn't cut it, especially when his main concern is getting concert venues.

Posted by: David | May 18, 2012 8:59:28 AM

22. Fuxk this Guy!!!!!

Posted by: Jon | May 18, 2012 9:00:33 AM

23. The apology is all very well and good.

What about the songs? What about the money earned from the songs?

Permanently sign over all the rights and royalties for those songs to a human rights organization that promotes equality, refuse to ever agree to licensing the songs for anything that requires your approval, never perform the song publicly again or rewrite the lyrics and reissue new cover versions that say something else entirely, and maybe we'll believe you are sincere.

Keep earning money off the original versions? Keep performing them because that's what your fans want? Not so much.

Posted by: Lymis | May 18, 2012 9:01:54 AM

24. "I've seen the evil homosexuality come out of you people... AIDS is your sin," the Advocate quoted her as saying. "Now don't get me wrong; God loves you. But not the way you are now."

And we're supposed to 'FORGIVE' her... because she dies.

And now this bastard wants our forgiveness for his hateful music? No. There is NO excuse. I don't feel anything for this man. And I don't feel anything for the passing of Donna Summer. I FEEL NOTHING.

Posted by: Jeff R. | May 18, 2012 9:09:38 AM

25. Where are Littlekiwi and DerrickfromPhilly?

I figured they'd be here defending him.

Posted by: Andrew | May 18, 2012 9:10:44 AM