Boy Scouts | Jennifer Tyrrell | News | Zach Wahls

BigGayDeal.com

Zach Wahls Delivers 275,000 Petitions to Boy Scouts Demanding End to Anti-Gay Discrimination

Bs_wahls

Zach Wahls, outspoken advocate for gay families and Eagle Scout, delivered 275,000 petitions today to the National Annual Meeting of the Boy Scouts of America demanding the organization reinstate lesbian den mother Jennifer Tyrrell and put an end to its discrimination against LGBT people, according to a release from Change.org:

After delivering the signatures, Wahls met briefly with Deron Smith, Public Relation Director with the Boy Scouts of America’s national office.

“While today's meeting was productive and thoughtful, the delivery of these petitions marks the beginning of this journey, not the end,” said Wahls. “I thought our dialogue today was an honest one, and I'm looking forward to continuing the conversation in the months ahead. We leave today one step closer to religious and personal freedom than when we arrived, and it's hard to be anything but thrilled about that."

Said Tyrrell, who will appear with Wahls at the GLAAD Awards in San Francisco this weekend:

“I am so grateful for the support I’ve received from Zach and from the thousands of scouts, scout leaders and former scouts who have signed my petition. If you look at the petition comments, and read through the thousands of entries left by current scouts and scout leaders, it’s clear that the energy within the Boy Scouts of America’s membership is there to change this policy. All it takes now is leadership.”

Wahls has also recently been lobbying Congress on behalf of gay families.

This week, Wahls also spoke to Reason TV about his new book My Two Moms and the future of same-sex marriage.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Z_wahls

Comments

1. "GEOFFREYPS,"
    I ASSUME THIS IS YOUR FIRST TIME VIEWING MY COMMENTS. ALL CAPS IS MY WRITING STYLE. IF YOU GO TO THE WEB AND TYPE-IN MY NAME, YOU WILL FIND MY COMMENTS ON VARIOUS SITES WRITTEN IN ALL CAPS. I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF, "e e cummings."
    CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | May 31, 2012 4:10:53 AM

2. CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON: I know this is a futile exercise but I am going to try anyway. Typing in all caps is invariably the work of clueless senior citizens or cranks on the internet. Far from making your points stand out or your writings seem more unique or important, all caps are hard to read, offensive to most readers and cause those readers to automatically dismiss your comments as those of a mental incompetent. What next a stream of bible quotes? That is what your "style" leads me to expect. Just drop this childish style choice. It is a childish affectation that makes you look like an boob.

Posted by: LiamLiam | May 31, 2012 8:21:57 AM

3. Anytime that a story on Zach Wahls shows up on this site, it seems that all of the mentally unstable, socially backward denizens of Badly Aging Queen Ville have to crawl out from under their rocks to spew out their irrational ramblings. @Cliff, you are a self-hating loser with the rational capacities of a brick. @Jonathan Leffingwell Horton or whatever preposterous fake Internet name you are using, you come across as the most pompous and delusional fool ever to post his incoherent rants on this site, and man, is that saying a lot. Tank will close by once more keeping it real: all of you bitches who praise Zach Wahls as the Greatest Human Being Ever To Live may admire the guy on an intellectual level, but I think you all want to bang him, too, or be banged by him, in some cases. Hey, I admire Zach, too, but I just have to keep it real, guys!

Posted by: TANK | May 31, 2012 11:39:17 AM

4. Oh, by the way, if anyone knows any cures for anal leakage I'd be happy to hear them. I'm too scared to buy a dildo and I've never actually had sex with another man so I went to the produce section and bought some vegetables and I've been using the same eggplant as a dildo for the last 4 days and I seem to have had a reaction to it, and I can't stop leaking this weird-colored fluid from my butt. Anyway thanks, just keeping it real, guys!

Posted by: TANK | May 31, 2012 11:52:09 AM

5. prove you are who you say you are, "CLIFF"

i mean Jason :D

Zach Walls, wonderful ally. No wonder he's making so many insecure gay men angry. Every time a straight person stands up for his gay family members the same folks on this site get angry. Look, it's not Zach Walls' fault that your own straight family members won't do the same for you. You should be happy that he's doing this.
    :D

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 31, 2012 12:07:35 PM

6. LOL, and I mean out loud @

"so I went to the produce section and bought some vegetables and I've been using the same eggplant as a dildo for the last 4 days and I seem to have had a reaction to it, and I can't stop leaking..."

I don't know who the hell is writing this stuff but you need to go professional. You are f.cking hilarious, and your responses make the comment section worth reading!

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 31, 2012 12:11:13 PM

7. That last comment about the vile activities in the produce section of a grocer's was NOT written by the real Tank! Be warned, fellow Towleroaders: there is an impostor on the loose! Tank would never write such vile nonsense. Wow, Zach Wahls really does bring out the creeps on this site! And by creeps, I mean those self-hating closet cases "Cliff" and "Jonathan Sebastian Horton" or whatever those trolls call themselves. They are probably the losers who are trying to infringe on Tank's trademark saying, "Just keeping it real, guys"! But such juvenile silliness will not rattle the inner calm of Tank, that's for sure! Those guys with their crude talk about vegetables just reveal their own low social backgrounds!

Posted by: TANK | May 31, 2012 12:49:43 PM

8. Derrick: Remember, if it doesn't fit force it. And don't forget to wear A LOT of your favorite cologne. Tank: How could you admire anyone "on an intellectual level?" How is that possible? You can't. Too bad you can't "bang" everyone this site writes a story about. Go out more often.

Posted by: Cliff | May 31, 2012 2:56:00 PM

9. Why all this "self hating loser" crap? I prefer hating other people like a winner. It takes skill.

Posted by: Cliff | May 31, 2012 3:03:41 PM

10. Meanwhile, for those off us who are not self-absorbed egotists arguing with prissy self-centered narcissists:

Hooray for the young man and the message he brought to the bigots. Applause!!

Posted by: wimsy | May 31, 2012 4:18:58 PM

11. Wimsy: You passed Psych 101. Congratulations. That young man has fooled you. You never caught the extensive and true comments from his high school friends. Painted the true picture.

Posted by: Cliff | May 31, 2012 4:55:45 PM

12. @CLIFF: Are you named after the geological formation, the pathetic loser/villain on "Dallas," or the neutered know-it-all on "Cheers"? In any event, it's sad that you've stooped to quoting the jealous and catty responses of immature teenagers as though they were Gospel truth. All the catfighting aside, I think Zach is a great guy and a valiant ally of gay people, and if your self-loathing and insecurity don't permit you to see that then your insight is as far-off as your command of the English language.

Posted by: TANK | May 31, 2012 6:18:44 PM

13. wow leave it to towleroad comments to once again affirm my fears for humanity once again....jeez some crazies need their meds adjusted

Posted by: epic | May 31, 2012 7:52:54 PM

14. LIAMLIAM,
    I WILL SAY THIS ONE MORE TIME. IF PEOPLE VIEW MY WRITING STYLE AS "CHILDISH," FINE. IF PEOPLE DO NOT WANT TO RESPECT MY COMMENTS, FINE. I EXPRESS MY VIEWS ON TOPICS WHICH APPEAL ME. IF I SEE A THREAD WHICH HAS A LOT OF COMMENTS, I DO NOT TRY TO READ ALL OF THEM. LIAMLIAM, FEEL FREE TO IGNORE MY COMMENTS. BY THE WAY, SOME PEOPLE USE "REGULAR" WRITING AND S-T-I-L-L LOOK LIKE, "BOOBS."
    CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | May 31, 2012 9:55:51 PM

15. "TANK" (31 MAY; 11:39:17 AM),
    I HAVE NO IDEA WHO "CLIFF" IS; HOWEVER, A DEFINITION OF HATE WOULD BE REFERRING TO "CLIFF" AS A "...self-hating loser with the rational capabilities of a brick." THIS IS WHY I REFER TO DEMOCRATIC "gays" AS RADICALS. I AM NOT "CLIFF'S" DEFENDER, BUT I LIKE WHAT THE MAN HAS TO SAY. DEMOCRATIC HOMOSEXUALS HAVE A MAJOR "ATTITUDE" PROBLEM. "TANK," IF Zach Wahls IS YOUR "HERO," FINE. ["TANK," you are the one who mentions "banging" - maybe, that's YOUR deal]. I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH Mr. Wahls; HE IS A "RUN-OF-THE-MILL" LIBERAL. Mr. Wahls IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR Jennifer Tyrrell's DISMISSAL. YET, I APPLAUD HER "DISMISSER." AND, THAT IS SAYING A LOT SINCE I TEND TO DEFEND THOSE WHO ARE INCORRECTLY LABELLED AS, "pedophiles."
    CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | May 31, 2012 10:19:43 PM

16. @EPIC: Normally, Tank likes to think of himself as something of a contrarian who boldly marches to his own drum, but I have to agree with you this time, E. Some of the pathetic, grumpy, middle-aged queens who post here often really do need to see about having their medications increased or perhaps changed. But thankfully there are thoughtful folks here like you and me who can make our points in a concise, thorough, and civil way.

Posted by: TANK | May 31, 2012 10:28:14 PM

17. @ Christopher Hellen Horlicks:

Sweet Jesus, enough with the capitals already; save them for proper nouns.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | May 31, 2012 10:49:14 PM

18. If a gay organization only allowed gays to be leaders, no one would care. Really, everyone is a hypocrite. I applaud the Boy Scouts of America for standing up for their beliefs, and their First Amendment rights and not being bullied out of them by gay activists. And disagreement in principle isn't hatred, if it were, both parties would be guilty of hatred not just one. I'm amazed that so many people buy into these political compliance tactics demonizing anyone who simply disagrees.

The problem with this activism is that it is one-sided and targeted at kids. Parents have rights and extreme concern who is influencing their kids, especially in areas of sexuality. If my kids were struggling with sexual issues, its my right as a parent what professional he sees about his issues, not some gay activist at school or boy scouts. There have been complaints by kids themselves in schools already that school counselors aren't even bringing up the fact there is an ex-gay community, and it is more fluid than made out to be by activists, and wishing they did. Kids need both sides to the story, not just one.

Also mentionable is the burden on communities of schools fighting lawsuits by gay activist organizations for not promoting their one-sided propaganda without a parents permission under so called "anti-bullying" agenda, when statistically, they're on the bottom of the list of targets being bullied, as race and weight and gender are at the top. Apparently you can't just look at someone and tell that they're gay. Really the only way to win a culture war is to raise the next generation, which is why the media and schools have been ground zero.

Posted by: tweaj | Sep 30, 2012 1:11:57 AM