Bullying | Indianapolis | News

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Indianapolis Teen Expelled for Stun Gun is Attacked at the Mall

Gay Indianapolis student Darnell “Dynasty” Young (pictured), who was expelled from Arsenal Tech High School last week for carrying a stun gun that his mother had given to him to protect himself from bullies who were constantly harassing him, has been attacked at a local mall, the Indianapolis Star reports:

DynastyThe teen’s alleged attacker, Khyran R. Delay, 34, has been charged with battery.

According to court documents, Delay told mall security officers that he recognized 17-year-old Darnell “Dynasty” Young from news coverage of his story and tried to talk to Young about it. He said Young got in his face and that he pushed Young.

But Young and Donald Richardson, a janitor who witnessed the incident, told police that when Young walked past Delay’s table in the food court, Delay told Young to get away from him and used homophobic slurs. They said that Delay pushed Young and then hit him in the face, according to court documents. Richardson said he radioed for mall security, and then Delay came toward him because he was mad that Richardson had called security. Security officers arrived and detained Delay.

Comments

1. I hope Darnell is ok.
    To Khyran Delay I would quote Rachel Maddow: Enjoy Prison!

Posted by: Azgaard | May 14, 2012 7:20:28 PM

2. Wow, big tough manly man arn'tcjha.

Posted by: Kenn I | May 14, 2012 8:17:11 PM

3. Probably another "fine" republican.

Posted by: Macmantoo | May 14, 2012 9:00:36 PM

4. I can never understand their need to speak/strike/harass. Why? Is it that difficult to just mind your own business, live your own life, and leave others alone?

Bother your friend with the drinking problem, not some random kid at the mall.

#growupasshole

Posted by: Ben | May 14, 2012 9:04:19 PM

5. Hopefully the worthless bigot gets put away for along time. People who go out of their way to harm others don't deserve freedom.

Posted by: Logan | May 14, 2012 9:20:40 PM

6. Let's not make someone who uses a weapon to settle disputes into some sort of hero. He did something that was not right, let's not forget that.

Posted by: mike delrago | May 14, 2012 9:22:16 PM

7. When did he use a weapon to settle a "dispute," Mike?

I don't blame him for carrying a taser to school to protect himself. The school cowardly refused to interfere and if anything this mall incident goes to show how much danger this kid was in. Sad, really.

Thanks to Towleroad for following this story. I hope the attacker is sent to jail.

Posted by: Leonard | May 14, 2012 10:25:17 PM

8. "someone who uses a weapon to settle disputes"

We have two choices, as LGBT people.

We can defend ourselves when assaulted, as Darnell did.

Or we can choose the Mike Delrago way and be shrinking wimps who run into the corner and get beaten to death... but at least they'll have a candlelight vigil for us in the spot where our broken corpse is found.

I know which path I prefer.

Posted by: Heh | May 14, 2012 10:56:14 PM

9. I'm glad that Darnell refuses to be a victim and does not turn that rage inward on himself, like so many other lgbt teens.

Posted by: dh | May 15, 2012 12:25:42 AM

10. Leonard, I agree but think it was a device that shocks when the fixed electrodes touch the person's skin, and may not work through clothing, not a Taser that shoots barbed elecrodes attached to wires 20 feet or so like the police use. I'm pretty sure a minor cannot carry the latter anywhere, but I'm not sure about the former outside of school. Glad this perp is in jail, though.

Posted by: Sam Molloy | May 15, 2012 3:46:20 AM

11. It's nice to see someone's actually taking this seriously instead of dismissing this as merely a gay problem.

Posted by: River | May 15, 2012 8:43:34 AM

12. I am cheering for Darnell so hard. I came across his story before he was expelled and my heart just broke for him. I'm really sorry that his trouble can't be taken seriously at school and I hope he finds a school that will allow him to just be. I hope Darnell and his mother have the resources (or come by them soon) to move somewhere else, as Indianapolis obviously has no use for these upstanding people.

Posted by: Lis | May 15, 2012 8:50:38 AM

13. no doubt that soon the story will turn into Daley saying that he was just trying to talk to Young about his Christian views and Young got in his face and Daley had to defend himself. More persecution of Christians by gay people.

Posted by: bob | May 15, 2012 9:51:09 AM

14. A 34 year old "man" attacking a 17 year old? Pathetic. Some "man".

Posted by: Pathetic | May 15, 2012 10:33:14 AM

15. Pick on someone your own size idiot!

Posted by: Rowan | May 15, 2012 10:38:58 AM

16. @Mike Delrago Let's not forget he had been harassed and assaulted. Let's not forget his school had failed to ensure his protection at school. Let's not forget his parent had given him the defense device. And, let's not forget he hurt no one with the device.

Posted by: Roger | May 15, 2012 12:02:10 PM

17. A 34 year old with the mental capacity of a 12 year old. Shame.

Posted by: jakeinlove | May 15, 2012 12:11:05 PM

18. This gentleman should be charged with a HATECRIME! He was seen/heard using slurs before the attack I think this is enough evidence? After all if a murder suspect is seen is an eyewittness not enough to send to prison for life for murder?? (It is)! This guy needs to be charged with more than just battery and I would fight it every step of the way to make a point! Charge this guy with hatecrime!

Posted by: Jason Crider | May 15, 2012 1:35:32 PM