Advertising | Gay Parents | News

JC Penney Catalog Features Real-Life Gay Dads

Jcp

JC Penney features "Real-life dads Todd Koch and Cooper Smith with their children Claire and Mason" in its new catalog.

Says the caption: "What makes Dad so cool? He's the swim coach, tent maker, best friend, bike fixer and hug giver - all rolled into one. Or two."

And here's a 2009 article about the couple and their family in the Dallas Voice.

Comments

1. I don't care if it's pandering, that's AMAZING!

Posted by: Chris | May 30, 2012 7:04:15 PM

2. Time for the pitter patter of Gay feet at JCP. Not sure if they have anything for me, but I ought to show up.
    I DO have a concern that their ads are way above the level of the demographic they can likely reach with the clothes they carry.
    I would hate their poor sales to be blamed on "going Gay".

Posted by: Bob | May 30, 2012 7:07:19 PM

3. Cue the press release/statement from One Million Morons in 3, 2, 1...

Posted by: Ryan | May 30, 2012 7:08:06 PM

4. I just spent $80 there yesterday and I'm glad I did

Posted by: Grover Underwood | May 30, 2012 7:14:05 PM

5. Don't you know those OMM, of which there are really only some 40,000, nearly popped their cork when they saw this great ad. I know that it is not nice to wish evil on anyone, but one can only hope that some of them stroked out. Of to JCP to see what I need, want, or will just purchase to say thank you.
    PS Home Depot has some really neat hand crank flashlights that would make great gifts for friends in storm prone areas or for elderly family members. No batteries required even though they are made by Duracell.

Posted by: vanndean | May 30, 2012 7:23:17 PM

6. If by chance you can't find anything to buy, I suggest you do what I did.....buy a gift certificate and give it to someone deserving.

Posted by: Jeremy | May 30, 2012 7:25:06 PM

7. Off to JCP.

Posted by: vanndean | May 30, 2012 7:25:18 PM

8. BAAAhahahahahaha! Take that, Million Haters!

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | May 30, 2012 7:49:19 PM

9. Nice, gay dads love it

Posted by: Billy | May 30, 2012 8:09:38 PM

10. I just got the catalog today, that couple (and their kids) aren't in it. Must only be in some markets...

Posted by: Wil | May 30, 2012 8:15:08 PM

11. I will go out of my way to shop at J.C. Penny when I travel to the U.S. this summer.
    Beautiful family!

Posted by: clydetoronto | May 30, 2012 8:27:45 PM

12. I can just hear the OMM bitches yelling, "Well now we're going to DOUBLE boycott JC Penny!!!"

Posted by: sparks | May 30, 2012 8:28:42 PM

13. Oh, and now that I've gotten my snarky comment out of the way...

I LOVE that picture. Obviously a lot of joy and love there. Anyone who would look at this photo and wish to deny that family its fullest rights and protections, is nothing but a child hater.

Posted by: sparks | May 30, 2012 8:33:01 PM

14. This could be a brilliant marketing plan; support the LGBT community (overtly, not just with some ambiguous words), get business up, start hiring better designers to encourage more people to shop there, and come out on top. Bam.

Posted by: Wdeanis | May 30, 2012 9:02:41 PM

15. @Sparks,

And they will put JCP on double secret probation as well.

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | May 30, 2012 9:31:46 PM

16. I love this ad. It's a bit bolder in its pro-gay message than the one with the two female partners.....but that's just why its so good. Must be something in the Towleroad water that's making me view it this way! This ad would have bothered me as recently as last year.

Posted by: Mary | May 30, 2012 9:37:52 PM

17. The love and joy shared by this family is infectious! Bravo, JCP!

Posted by: michaeld2013 | May 30, 2012 10:40:40 PM

18. Gorgeous family! I haven't shopped at JCP in years, but I will tomorrow!

Posted by: kit | May 30, 2012 11:14:59 PM

19. Love that they just didn't include the beautiful family pic - but also the great caption. I'll be checking out my local store tomorrow too.

Posted by: Ken | May 30, 2012 11:30:56 PM

20. ...brings tears to my eyes and puts a smile on my face :)

Posted by: Jesse | May 30, 2012 11:38:51 PM

21. It could do without the gender roles comment, but it's a cute picture.

Posted by: Lance | May 31, 2012 12:31:34 AM

22. Do we really have to look like that to be marketable/acceptable/non-threatening? Don't get me wrong, it's a great thing that Penney's has done. It's just so goddamned CRACKER!! And I'm WHITE!!!

Posted by: greg | May 31, 2012 1:10:54 AM

23. Never been crazy about their clothes, but they do sell sheets, towels, housewares, kitchen stuff... I'm going to have to figure out where my local JCP is now.

Posted by: johnny | May 31, 2012 6:16:51 AM

24. Wonderful wonderful...and MARY, you're a crack up, you HAVE changed and I love it.

Cute, these guys are cute (not "cracker"), and this ad is a very, very good sign.

Posted by: UFFDA | May 31, 2012 8:01:14 AM

25. So great!!

Let's see - next month, I have Father's Day, my mom's birthday, and my best friend's birthday. So, all of them will be getting a gift from JCP!!

And, thanks to your great suggestion, Jeremy, if I can't find an actual gift, I'll buy a gift card/certificate.

Support our allies!! They make all the difference to us!!

Posted by: steve | May 31, 2012 2:23:05 PM