Election 2008 | John Edwards | News | North Carolina

John Edwards Reacts To Not Guilty Verdict, Mistrials On 5 Other Counts: VIDEO

JohnEdwardsVerdict

A North Carolina jury found john Edwards not guilty on one count of campaign finance fraud today and a mistrial was declared for the other five charges, all of which stemmed from accusations that Edwards' 2008 presidential campaign knowingly took illegal contributions to hide a pregnant mistress from his terminally wife.

The jury originally told the judge they were hung on the 5 counts, but she ordered them back into deliberations, leading to the 5 mistrials. Edwards, a former senator and White House hopeful, expressed both relief and shame during his post-verdict remarks.

"While I do not believe that I did anything illegal, or even thought I was doing anything illegal, I did an awful, awful lot that was wrong," he said. "There is no one else responsible for my sins."

"I am responsible. And if I want to find the person who should be held accountable for my sins … it is me and me alone."

After thanking daughter Cate for her ongoing support and declaring his love for all of his children and his parents, Edwards told the gathered reporters, "I don't think God's through with me. I really believe he thinks there are still some good things I can do."

Watch Edwards' remarks AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. So, is it over then, or do they have to try him again on the other 5 counts?

Posted by: jim | May 31, 2012 8:02:31 PM

2. They *could* try him again on the other 5 counts, but it is very unlikely they will, since they don't seem to have even come close to getting the results they want the first time out.

Since politicians write the laws governing political contributions, it seems it's actually legal to take money and spend it to cover up the existence of your mistress and your bastard child. If you hide it from the National Enquirer, you could even be president! :)

Posted by: Vint | May 31, 2012 8:24:39 PM

3. This should never have gone to trial in the first place.

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | May 31, 2012 9:33:59 PM

4. So when are we going to see the infamous 'hung for dayz' John Edwards sex tape?

Posted by: OS2Guy | May 31, 2012 10:25:06 PM

5. It's no wonder he has an approval rating of 3%. He is vile and disgusting and no doubt is prepping for a "comeback" via pathetic CNN or Current TV, a la Spitzer.

Posted by: LincolnLounger | May 31, 2012 10:58:42 PM

6. What a sleazebag. He makes real estate agents and used car salesmen look good.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 31, 2012 11:17:46 PM

7. "OS2GUY,"
    I DID NOT KNOW SENATOR JOHN EDWARDS HAS A SEX TAPE. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE IT; JOHN EDWARDS IS QUITE HANDSOME.
    CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | May 31, 2012 11:20:34 PM

8. Edwards may have been cleared on one of the counts of using funds improperly, but what was not cleared is that he's a skeezy individual who is a slime. Thank god he got nowhere near the oval office.

Posted by: Joseph Singer | Jun 1, 2012 12:04:40 AM

9. I'm a little disgusted with myself that I at one point almost voted for the man (he dropped out of the race his second go around a week before my primary). It was a good lesson in how effective some people can be in looking like good people when they're really the ultimate sleazeballs.

Posted by: Ryan | Jun 1, 2012 12:51:03 AM

10. Why YES John Edwards had a sex tape. From what I read people who had seen it said it was filmed by his mistress with him busy down between her legs with her filming from her point of view and him happily being filmed and quite animated while being filmed. Not to mention his little soldier was said to be skyward and quite impressive. I despise him but would have loved to have seen it, too.

Posted by: MarkUs | Jun 1, 2012 8:04:13 AM

11. "MARKUS" (1 JUNE; 8:04:13 AM),
    SIR, THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS. YOUR DESCRIPTION OF THE SEX-TAPE CONTENTS IS QUITE INTRIGUING. I JUST WATCHED THE VIDEO OF John Edwards' PRESS CONFERENCE. A "STRANGE" CHARACTERISTIC OF BEING A MALE HOMOSEXUAL IS THE ABILITY TO "OVERLOOK" THE WRONGDOINGS OF MALES WHO ARE HANDSOME. WHILE WATCHING THE VIDEO I WAS THINKING, "If John Edwards was an ugly Democrat, I would have wanted him found guilty and punished." AS MALE HOMOSEXUALS, WE ALL HAVE FLAWS WHICH ARE PURELY BASED ON OUR SEXUAL INTERESTS. I GUESS THIS IS AN EXAMPLE OF MY FLAWS; I CAN NOT FORCE MYSELF TO BE ANGRY WITH THE FORMER SENATOR.
    CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON