Arizona | Don Lemon | News | Paul Babeu | Republican Party

Sheriff Paul Babeu Tells Don Lemon He Can Help 'Bridge the Chasm' in the GOP on Gay Issues: VIDEO

Lemon_babeu

Don Lemon interviewed Pinal County, Arizona Sheriff Paul Babeu late on Friday following his announcement last week that he was quitting his run for Congress and seeking reelection as Sheriff.

Lemon talked to Babeu about the effect that his coming out had on the Republican party and where he sees himself in it, asking Babeu if he would be the guy to "bridge the chasm" in the GOP over gay issues.

“I believe I can be one of – I won’t be so bold as to say 'I’m the guy.' We need some officials in the Republican party that just don’t come out and say 'hey, I support these issues,' but actually live their life doing their job first – and that’s most important – but also say, 'this is who I am.'”

Babeu added that it is important for the GOP to have out and proud members.

“To be truly inclusive, and not just say we’re inclusive and a big tent, we’ve got to show this. We’ve got to have other people in there with a voice.”

Finally, Lemon asked Babeu about the investigation surrounding allegations that he threatened to deport his boyfriend if he exposed their relationship. Says the sheriff: "I asked for this investigation and I’m fully confident that I’ll be exonerated.”

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Honestly, I would vote for the GOP if they weren't anti-gay...Because I like the idea of paying less taxes, keeping more of my money etc. And I don't think the welfare state has been good for America. But until they stop demonizing gays, lesbians and trans people I cannot in good conscience support them. I love money, but I do hold human dignity above all else.

Posted by: Pedro | May 14, 2012 10:31:30 AM

2. "We need some officials in the Republican party that just don’t come out and say 'hey, I support these issues,' but actually live their life doing their job first – and that’s most important – but also say, 'this is who I am.'”

Uh... sounds like he's saying that the GOP needs more gay men to be out and NOT involved in gay politics. Like him. Being a sheriff and doing absolutely nothing for gay rights.

It's a step above just hiding in the closet, I suppose.

Posted by: BobN | May 14, 2012 10:37:51 AM

3. He was so successful at "bridging the chasm" that all his CPAC right wing pals ran for the hills as soon as his "out and proud" lifestyle hit the media. He might win as the Sheriff of Delusion, but there's a reason his Congressional run flopped: Republicans don't really like out gay people.

Posted by: Ernie | May 14, 2012 10:39:59 AM

4. Pedro, something tells me that you're not making more than 250,000 a year, in which case you voting GOP would be the stupidest thing ever from a "paying taxes" perspective. You're not wealthy - therefore GOP taxation plans will in no way be saving YOU money. are you truly not aware of this?

oh, you like the "idea" of paying less taxes and keeping more money, etc? stop liking the idea and start learning the FACTS.

F A C T S.

As for babeu, sure, yeah, he can bridge the gap. as long as you're a non-liberal white gay. then he can be like "hey, republicans, you should like us gays, because we don't like blacks or liberals. except, you know, for those gay people who aren't scared of you. they tend to be liberals, who dont hate blacks. but i'm not like them."

yes, there is a need for Out gay republicans. but not just any out gay republicans, ones that for the first time in Gay Republican History actually have brains and testicles. as long as gay republicans trumpet the same misogynistic self-hating anti-gay prejudice and xenophobic anti-"Colored Folks" nonsense that they've been doing for ages, they're of no use at all.

you don't build bridges when you throw "gay liberals" under the bus in order to save your @ss to the republicans whose teat you're still pathetically sucking.

you know, like this little twerp: http://youtu.be/2R6jqMysHaA

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 14, 2012 10:43:03 AM

5. If Republicans have been so wonderful and accepting of his being gay, then why did he quit his run for Congress?

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | May 14, 2012 10:51:57 AM

6. No right now, I'm just a college student, so truthfully, I'm living off of my generous parents. However, I hope to be making a six figure salary in the future -- I start med school in the fall...And after all the hard work, I have to put in in Med school and then internships, I do hope that the government doesn't take most of my money. I also don't think welfare has worked out very well, just look at any inner city in the U.S. where the people are stuck on Uncle Sam's money. It's destroying large segments of black America...Like I said, I am still going to vote for Obama, but it's strictly because of social issues not because I agree with his economic outlook.

Posted by: Pedro | May 14, 2012 10:57:21 AM

7. Dastius, if Republicans are so wonderful and accepting then how come all the gay ones are always dragged kicking and screaming from the Closet against their will?

These wimps don't Come Out in an empowered and strong way, they're Outed after their hypocrisies are made public. They're the reason the GOP doesnt' support LGBT Issues. After all, the gay people that republicans know ARE THESE GUYS - complete and utter cowards.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 14, 2012 10:57:27 AM

8. well, Pedro, from that post it's safe to say that you're one of those voters who doesn't actually know what he's talking, or voting, about. congrats.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 14, 2012 11:05:56 AM

9. Yeah, I'm sure that a man who was outed in a gay scandal with a Mexican immigrant and who won't even say the word "gay" will be just the man to turn the GOP around on gay issues.

The only thing this creep is qualified for is delusional GOProud spokesbot.

Posted by: TampaZeke | May 14, 2012 11:13:24 AM

10. Just look how wonderful the Republicans have been to other minority groups- African Americans and Mexican Americans! I'm sure it will only be a few days and they will accept gays too!!! Or maybe not.

Posted by: homer | May 14, 2012 11:18:20 AM

11. Pedro, I hate to break it to you but the GOP is ALL about the "welfare state". They give away BILLIONS more in "social" programs than do the Democrats. The only difference is they give their "entitlements" and "welfare subsidies" to the likes of Exxon/Mobile, Big Pharma, the Koch Brothers and other multi, multi BILLIONAIRES.

You already WOULD BE paying less taxes if the super rich and mega-corporations were paying half the rate in taxes that the middle class does.

Posted by: TampaZeke | May 14, 2012 11:19:08 AM

12. I continue to be amazed that there's this false assumption that churches will be required to perform all marriages should marriage equality become the law of the land.
    Even today for straight people, no church is required to perform ANY marriage. We have to get this message across or we will continue to lose our rights. In the end, the churches know that they are not required to marry anyone...my cynical viewpoint says that they are just using that excuse to hide behind their own bigotry.

Posted by: John | May 14, 2012 11:41:49 AM

13. john, you're 100% correct on that. it's the same "reason" that whenever DADT was brought up, Rick Santorum and his cronies would say "gay soldiers should not be allowed to have sex with each other in the barracks"....uh , whA?!?!

Santorum pretended repealing DADT would allow gay soldiers to engage in anal sex in the barracks or something. And the same conservative bigots are pretending that legalizing marriage for same-sex couples will mean that priests are going to be forced to marry gay couples. it makes no sense.

Canada has marriage equality. this does not mean that individuals or churches are "forced" to perform marriages for gay couples.

just as catholic churches aren't forced to perform marriages for non-catholics.

you wanna see where this "blur" comes from, look no further than the GOP: they lie about others in order to avoid telling the truth about themselves.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 14, 2012 11:59:19 AM

14. Pedro, listen to Little Kiwi, who is good and fierce gayfolk.

Sheriff Paulette is nastyfolk. She let all them children in the group home get abused in Massachusetts.

Posted by: Tamika | May 14, 2012 12:02:12 PM

15. Pedro, dont listen to Littlekiwi. He is a textbook ideologue. President Obama could murder his parents and rape his sister and he'd still vote for Obama. If it's related to the Republican party, he is against it. It doesn't matter what the issue is, he just knows he is against it. If he disagrees with you, you'll face his (laughable) rants ad nauseum. He's uncompromising and cannot be reasoned with.

Long story short: ignore him like the rest of us.

Posted by: Andrew | May 14, 2012 1:02:26 PM

16. I don't ignore little kiwi.

Posted by: walt | May 14, 2012 1:08:20 PM

17. This guy was dragged out of the closet by someone he was trying to bully his former partner so I give no credence to his statement, the GLBT community doesn't need another self loathing gay member.

Posted by: lk | May 14, 2012 1:46:56 PM

18. "I know how this ends -- I know the truth"

Oh dear. Someone please explain to him how the courts work.

Posted by: Randy | May 14, 2012 2:35:25 PM

19. Pedro, I'm also a college student. I grew up affluent by parents who voted for our last president...twice (though they voted for Obama and have sworn off the republican party entirely). I live in both a socioeconomic and cultural bubble. But one of the things my parents always preached about was the importance of taxes. They believe that greater individial wealth should ensure a more comfortable life, but also the means to help the community, such as through donations to public education and eradicating excessive and unnecessary spending on the military. We Should want to pay taxes, we should want to donate our time and money to helpin our shared communities. Republicans actively reject the idea that the goal of capitalism as a way to gain the means to invest in the health of our community, monetarily and socially. The republican party as it stands now wants to make you a second class citizen. You may not think marriage/employment rights are less important than economic success, but you're wrong. The republicans are institutionally and vehemently against the legal equality of LGBT people. It's that simple.

Posted by: MateoM | May 14, 2012 3:28:40 PM

20. The pitiful, abject truth of it is that this guy wishes he were still in the closet, because if he were, he'd still be on his way to Congress. He knows he's supposed to say he feels liberated, but it's just another lie. You have no idea how screwed up Paul Babeu is.

Posted by: NYF | May 15, 2012 2:17:14 AM

21. ANDREW - bullseye! With his post after post after post I am post KIWI and my life is better. Has he called you out yet? "Post you're URL" he'll shout "show us if your balls are as big as my drooping pustules."

Sorry, that was nasty, but a spoiled rich kid accountable to no one is not a viable voice however ardent. Have you seen his blog? Tantrum after tantrum. Immaturity run amok.

Posted by: UFFDA | May 15, 2012 7:49:31 AM

22. A TIMELINE SHOULD HAVE ACCOMPANIED THIS ARTICLE TO ELIMINATE CONFUSION. IT IS MY UNDERSTANDING Sheriff Paul Babeu's PARTNER WAS SEVENTEEN AND SATISFIED THE "AGE OF CONSENT" IN MASSACHUSETTS. SINCE Sheriff Babeu WAS "OUTED" IN FEBRUARY, IS THE ISSUE A HOMOSEXUAL SHERIFF OR A PARTNER UNDER THE "AGE OF CONSENT?" SINCE THE SHERIFF HAS A 75% APPROVAL RATING VIA CONSERVATIVE POLL, HOPEFULLY HE WILL "WEATHER THIS STORM." IT MUST BE CNN-POLICY FOR ANCHORS TO NOT PUBLICIZE POLITICAL AFFILIATIONS; Don Lemon's CONTINUED USE OF, "Your party," IN CONVERSATION WITH THE SHERIFF IS DISTURBING. IT IS MY UNDERSTANDING Mr. Lemon IS SUPPORTIVE OF REPUBLICAN IDEOLOGIES.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON