2012 Election | Bullying | Mitt Romney

BigGayDeal.com

Mitt Offers Open-Ended Apology For High School 'Hijinks'

RomneyKidMitt Romney's presidential campaign clearly wants to put the story of him cutting a presumed gay student's hair behind him. The candidate just now offered a vague apology for his youthful misadventures.

Via Talking Points Memo:

Mitt Romney offered a qualified apology for his behavior as a high school student, without specifically saying whether a report that he bullied a student thought by his classmates to be gay was accurate.

“Back in high school I did some dumb things and if anybody was hurt by that or offended by that I apologize,” Romney told FOX radio host Brian Kilmeade Thursday. “If I did stupid things, I’m afraid I’ve got to say sorry for it.”

Romney, 65, noted he graduated from high school nearly five decades ago, and said, “I’m quite a different guy now.” He admitted “I participated in a lot of hijinks and pranks in high school and some of them might have gone too far, and I apologize.”

Romney also said that he doesn't recall thinking the student in question, John Lauber, was gay. "I certainly don’t believe that I thought the fellow was homosexual,” Romney said. “That was the furthest thing from our minds back in the 1960s.”

Comments

1. Nice picture of Romney when he was younger - I take it that was right before he ESCAPED VIETNAM - after-all, that WAR was for the poor kids to go fight and Die in...while he and his Silver Spoon went to Europe - Lived the High Life Pushing / Indoctrinating others in Mormonism.

Posted by: Disgusted American | May 10, 2012 3:42:36 PM

2. RICK!

You simply don't get it, do you!

IT IS CALLED......PRINCIPLES!!!!!!

Posted by: BRAINS | May 10, 2012 4:00:00 PM

3. @Jay,

Whatever,pal. What I posted is 100% true and accurate. I apparently have a more nuanced and sophisticated view of the world than you. I don't see things as [pardon the expression] black and white as you; and no, that wasn't a passive aggressive 'racist' comment on my part.

=============================

@Disgusted American,

I agree 100%. Romney belongs to a pretty big club of guys with connections or from fortunate backgrounds who dodged the Vietnam draft, Republican and Democrat, conservative and liberal [progressive].

That said, the grand daddy of modern liberals, the one man aside from FDR who created the modern American welfare state and 'progressive' politics, LBJ, was more than anyone responsible for the 'mission creep' in the war and the fact it went on long after it should have. If there is one over riding villain surrounding Vietnam debacle, it's the great progressive LBJ. Nixon delayed our exit, but he wasn't responsible for the war itself.

=============================

Regarding a few others pointing out Romney [disclaimer: I do not like the man, never have] came from a 'white' and 'privileged' background, therefore engaged in obnoxious 'fratboy' activity, I live in probably America's greatest college town and have heard and read about my share of frat scandals and hazing horrors, and it's just as likely to occur among 'minority' young men, Jews, Asians, etc. as rich white boys. I never belonged to a frat. A little too f*ggy for me, actually. I can use the F word because I'm gay, right?

Posted by: ratbastard | May 10, 2012 4:10:30 PM

4. " I’m quite a different guy now "

Romney is a different guy from month to month, year to year.

But I think at core, he's the same jerk he always has been, just wearing different PR.

Posted by: Randy | May 10, 2012 5:52:56 PM

5. i'm sure he never called someone a homo, fag, or queer in the 60's

he's a republican; republicans are bullies

Posted by: t | May 10, 2012 6:16:12 PM

6. He was a hottie. Yum

Posted by: fkia | May 10, 2012 6:37:48 PM

7. All these years and he still has the same snarky condescending smirk that says don't buy a car from this shister.

Posted by: Robert | May 10, 2012 6:37:59 PM

8. Romney admitted “I participated in a lot of hijinks and pranks in high school and some of them might have gone too far, and I apologize.”

Interesting that he chose words like "a lot" and "some of them".

So he attacked and abused other students, too?

Posted by: Fred | May 10, 2012 7:37:40 PM

9. I like this idea: For anyone who has ever been bullied, how about sending a lock of your hair to Romney? Is that a good media strategy to keep this story alive? Going for a haircut soon?

Posted by: Happy Guy | May 10, 2012 11:16:23 PM

10. No wonder I've never trusted him. He looked like a deformed Tom Cruise as yong.

Posted by: Philip Wester | May 12, 2012 8:23:24 AM

11. No wonder I've never trusted him. He looked like a deformed Tom Cruise when he was young.

Posted by: Philip Wester | May 12, 2012 8:23:27 AM

12. No wonder I've never trusted him. He looked like a deformed Tom Cruise when he was young.

Posted by: Philip Wester | May 12, 2012 8:23:30 AM