Brian Brown | Dan Savage | Gay Marriage | News

NOM's Brian Brown Accepts Dan Savage's Dinner Debate Challenge

Last week, Dan Savage invited NOM's Brian Brown for dinner and a taped debate on marriage and the Bible at his home. Savage laid out some possible conditions, all of which Brown has accepted.

BrownWrites Brown in a blog post:

Dan -- I accept and will look forward to debating you at your dining room table. As I said in my challenge to you, anytime, any place.

While I appreciate the invitation that you have extended to my wife, she will not be able to attend. She is a full-time mom with seven beautiful children and an eighth on the way.

I have no objection to Mark Oppenheimer from the New York Times covering the discussion, nor to you hiring your own video crew to film the event, provided that I am able to hire my own video crew to be sure there is no creative editing of the discussion.

Not that a New York Times reporter would slant the news, mind you!

This will be fun!

Start popping the popcorn.

UPDATE: Savage responds.

So...

It looks like I'm gonna have to clear all the Catholic kitch out of our living room and dining room—my 5' plaster Jesus, our 3' plaster Mary, all my other plaster saints, the dozens of rosaries hanging around their plaster necks, the stack of disintegrating hymnals on the mantle, etc. Wouldn't want Brian to think there's something disrespectful about our collection. Our Catholic kitch is all family heirlooms. My late grandfather's rosaries, most of them prayed to pieces, were headed to the dump when I picked them out them out of the trash. But will knowing that my 5' plaster Jesus has been evacuated to our bedroom be more of a torment for Brian?

Details about the exact date and time of the Savage/Brown debate to come. The debate will be videotaped and released on YouTube. Stay tuned for more info...

Comments

1. how has he caved to the far right?

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 29, 2012 9:31:53 PM

2. and how can both claim to make "headway"?

this isn't a discussion about which of Tarantino's films shows the best craftsmanship - it's about the legitimacy of the religious-right's pious and hypocritical attacks against the gay communities.

there is no "agree to disagree" - one side is right and one side is pathetically wrong.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 29, 2012 9:35:03 PM

3. What is this, Dan? La Cage Aux Folles? Why clear away the kitsch? Keep it out. Let him see it. It's not offensive. He's a guest in your house, so why should you have to apologize for your possessions, especially when they're family heirlooms and have value to you?

Posted by: Pierce_mn | May 29, 2012 10:00:33 PM

4. Yeah...I don't know how or when Dan Savage has ever caved to the far right.
    I have full confidence in him- that said, I am a bit anxious as to his debating skills- mind you, Savage is an incredible writer, humorist, etc., on a broad range of topics- not just gay rights. But I'm sure the NOM people are far more worried about their guy.

Posted by: scott | May 29, 2012 10:37:36 PM

5. To Little Kiwi: Kinda frightening isn't it. What I said was a little too true. Think about it. You're the type who will have to make the mistake to find out. It has nothing to do with "bigots" this time. You will own this F-up.

Posted by: Cliff | May 29, 2012 10:58:31 PM

6. Savage thinks he's got the power of life and death in his hands. Imagining people's fate by him declaring that their lives will get better. Maybe he can stop this generation's mistake. Falling in love that turns to hate. The intimacy that turns to boredom. Who's the first to admit it's over? Did you sign that prenup? Men are not designed for monogamy, but you'll have to find that out the hard way. So fight this guy Dan, it will be a victory for the losers. Find something to do with the children. They aren't made of plaster.

Posted by: Cliff | May 29, 2012 11:09:10 PM

7. Wow I can't believe what assho!es some of you are being about Dan Savage. Pathetic

Posted by: Michae | May 29, 2012 11:26:59 PM

8. Savage thinks he's got the power of life and death in his hands. Imagining people's fate by him declaring that their lives will get better. Maybe he can stop this generation's mistake. Falling in love that turns to hate. The intimacy that turns to boredom. Who's the first to admit it's over? Did you sign that prenup? Men are not designed for monogamy, but you'll have to find that out the hard way. So fight this guy Dan, it will be a victory for the losers. Find something to do with the children. They aren't made of plaster.

Posted by: Cliff | May 29, 2012 11:28:49 PM

9. Yes, interesting that there will be no wife, cuz she' too busy taking care of kids and being pregnant. Keeping the ball and chain barefoot and pregnant jokes aside, I know lots of mothers who enjoy dinner parties. I've known lots of pregnant women who socialize as long as they can. Don't know how far along she is - maybe she's too pregnant to travel. But something about this smacks of sabotage - denying Savage and his husband the opportunity to be considered human and worthy of social interaction.

Posted by: TJ | May 29, 2012 11:31:28 PM

10. And CLIFF, just because you are incapable of sustaining a relationship doesn't mean others are likewise stunted. Be gone.

Posted by: TJ | May 29, 2012 11:33:50 PM

11. Someone needs to tell Dan that 'kitsch' is how the word is spelled.

Posted by: Nanuq | May 29, 2012 11:37:35 PM

12. KIWI says "... this debate will be hilarious. One side has facts, logic, consistency, evidence and citations. The other has Maggie Gallagher's recipe for diabetes."

I can't stand KIWI but this is too good not to appreciate, it's actually brilliant. What could be more useless, more devoid of authority than a fat woman's recipe for diabetes! I'd have to kick his ass after putting a hundred dollar bill in his pocket.

Posted by: UFFDA | May 29, 2012 11:40:51 PM

13. Yeah, I look forward for that duel.
    But still, Dan Savage is on the edge (if not already there) of an antisocial personality disorder.
    Hey, the other guy ALSO is (and even worse). But it's our own old Dan the one who worries me.

Posted by: ElCid | May 29, 2012 11:44:40 PM

14. Yeah, I look forward for that duel.

Posted by: ElCid | May 29, 2012 11:44:42 PM

15. Wow the NOM trolls are out in force on here! Get real, Dan Savage has NEVER caved to the far right, and cliff-jason-rick-mary-whatever, just because you still prefer to confine yourself to bathroom cubicles don't dare to think for a second you speak for all gay people. Furthermore, while marriage equality is of the utmost importance to our community for countless reasons, if you had ever read anything by Dan Savage, you would know that he is anything BUT an advocate of monogamy. Now go back and slobber at your favorite glory hole.

Posted by: Kenneth | May 30, 2012 12:24:40 AM

16. I am excited. This won't change either of their minds but it has the potential to be a great documented debate. I may not agree with Dan 100% but I do applaud Dan for fighting for equality while others sit behind a computer and question his intentions.

Posted by: Justin | May 30, 2012 12:51:27 AM

17. As someone said on another site, Brian Brown earns a quarter million dollars a year for his role in that racket known as NOM. If his wife wants to attend the debate, he can't afford a babysitter? Or leave the kids with relatives? She can take a break from caring for the seven beautiful children. Spare me the false piety.

Posted by: Someone Out There | May 30, 2012 1:41:53 AM

18. DAN --- leave the statues out

BRIAN -- get the wife a diaphram or eyeglasses

Posted by: Bob | May 30, 2012 3:04:09 AM

19. I don't know about all this, but if it were me I would make sure there was plenty of shellfish and bacon in the food.

Posted by: Bob | May 30, 2012 3:58:52 AM

20. @BOB -- shellfish and bacon? I would put Santorum in Brian Brown's food.

Posted by: Bob | May 30, 2012 5:04:40 AM

21. Get those cameras rolling! This should be fun to watch. Brian Brown makes such an ass of himself trying to wrap reality around his beliefs that the only way Dan Savage could look bad is if he got violent -- which obviously isn't going to happen.

Posted by: Tonic | May 30, 2012 7:21:25 AM

22. Kiwi, your cruelty regarding Maggie's diabetes is no suprise to me. But Uffda, I'm disappointed in you...

TJ, isn't it possible that Brian just didn't think it a good idea for the wife to be stressed out when pregnant? The debate might get rather heated and no one knows what a fiasco it could turn into. Her health and the baby's health is what he should be more concerned with. And why can't you respect the fact that some people want a lot of kids? This "barefoot and pregnant" type of putdown is really very 1971. No one forces women to bear children and stay home anymore.

And Kenneth, I'm not homophobic anymore or an opponent of marriage equality, so please stop associating me with Rick-Jason-Cliff or whoever he is.....

-Mary the former troll

Posted by: Mary | May 30, 2012 8:20:32 AM

23. Beavis confirms his debate date with Butthead!

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | May 30, 2012 12:37:57 PM

24. TJ: What you said is always the assumption. I had a relationship for 14 years. I'm not talking about two losers keeping each other company. You sound like a clinger. Good luck.

Posted by: Cliff | May 30, 2012 12:45:00 PM

25. My relationship is going pretty darn well so far. :-)

And I'm not sure what any of that has to do with the simple factual reality that the "anti-gay-marriage" side doesn't actually have any form of solid argument.
    Excuses for everything and reasons for nothing.

I would know - I've been actively involved in this debate, in person to person encounters, since I was a teenager.

Has anyone at any point ever heard anything remotely resembling a logical, solid "Argument" against Marriage Equality?

how about you, CLIFF? Give me at least one sterling example, so i can see what we (and by association, Savage) will be up against.

Just one. Because I've never heard one. I've heard the same bogus excuses for years, but nothing resembling an intellectually honest and valid argument.

so try me.

p.s. why do i get the feeling that some of you hate dan savage more than you care care about LGBT Equality? it's kinda pathetic.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 30, 2012 1:01:13 PM