Advertising | American Family Association | News

'One Million Moms' Goes after The Gap for Its New Gay Ad

Gaygap
(image twitter chris votaw)

Claiming that its recent campaign against JC Penney over an image of lesbians in its catalog is having an effect, American Family Association subgroup One Million Moms is now going after The Gap for an ad featuring a gay couple.

Writes the group:

Speaking of companies who are choosing to be politically correct instead of focusing on selling clothes; GAP is also guilty. In Los Angeles, CA, GAP has a billboard located downtown that reads: "GAP- BE BRIGHT- BE ONE" with two homosexual men pressed together under a shared t-shirt. They are hugging each other and facing the camera cheek-to-cheek. "BE ONE" is in large letters which emphasizes the same-sex relationship.

GAP Inc. Brands, including Old Navy, Banana Republic, Piperlime, and Athleta, does not deserve, nor will it get, money from conservative families across the country. Supporting GAP is not an option until they decide to remain neutral in the culture war. GAP needs to seriously consider how their immoral advertising affect the youth of our nation.

Christians should urge for the removal of GAP's offensive billboard in Los Angeles and any other city where it is located. GAP will also need to cancel any plans to use the "Be One" ad campaign elsewhere including store-front posters, its website, and in print magazine ads.

The group instructs its members to send the company the following action item:

As a parent and a member of OneMillionMoms.com, I am highly offended by your company's disrespect for the millions of parents whose children will be exposed to your latest "Be One" GAP billboard ad. Selling clothes has nothing to do with a person's sexual orientation. In attempting to be politically correct, you are offending a huge majority of your customers.

GAP Inc. Brands, including Old Navy, Banana Republic, Piperlime, and Athleta, does not deserve, nor will it get, my family's business as a result. I will not be able to support your corporation until you decide to remain neutral in the culture war. I implore you to consider how your immoral actions affect the youth of our nation.

Please order the removal of your offensive billboard in Los Angeles and any other city it is located. Also cancel any plans to use your "Be One" ad campaign elsewhere including store front posters, your website, and in print magazine ads.

The ad features Rory O'Malley (Tony nominee for The Book of Mormon) with his boyfriend, Gerold Schroeder

(via right wing watch)

Comments

1. I saw this ad near the corner of Hollywood and Highland yesterday. It's amazing! Love Gap and LOVE progress!

Posted by: Randall Reynolds | May 18, 2012 4:39:46 PM

2. And by "remaining neutral in the culture war" OMM means continue to put forth the notion that all couples have one wee wee and one hoo hah.

Posted by: Brian G | May 18, 2012 4:41:13 PM

3. It's always interesting how OMM insists companies who support gay rights are "trying to be politically correct." Maybe they're just doing what their conscience tells them is right?

Also, this IS the business of selling clothes. It's called advertising. If people like your advertising (I'd say Gap's potential customers in LA probably like this ad), it sells more clothes for you.

Posted by: Michael | May 18, 2012 4:43:33 PM

4. I went to the one million moms web site and filled out the "form letter" on their page, but modified it before I submitted it:

As a GAP customer, I am not at all offended by your company's recognition of the diversity of your customer base with your latest "Be One" GAP billboard ad.

GAP Inc. Brands, including Old Navy, Banana Republic, Piperlime, and Athleta, deserve, and will get, my family's business as a result. I will be happy to support your corporation as you ensure everyone feels welcome in your stores. I'm thankful that you are setting a good example for all of the youth of America, not just a select few who conform to a specific, outdated belief.

Please order more of your excellent billboards, like the one in Los Angeles. Also make more plans to use your "Be One" ad campaign elsewhere including store front posters, your website, and in print magazine ads.

I look forward to hearing from you regarding my concerns.

Posted by: joe | May 18, 2012 4:43:41 PM

5. ONE MILLION MORONS

Posted by: Miguel | May 18, 2012 4:46:17 PM

6. I'm sure The Gap will care about One Million Moms as much as JC Penny, Ellen, Archie Comics and Toys R Us did.

Posted by: KT | May 18, 2012 4:51:34 PM

7. So in other words, buy Gap stock NOW before the price goes up!

Posted by: Caliban | May 18, 2012 4:58:30 PM

8. The ad is so unprovocative - it's like hating on two puppies.

Posted by: kirkyo | May 18, 2012 4:58:57 PM

9. I live in a college town. Young straight men today are comfortable putting their arms around each other, sitting in each other's laps, and holding hands on the street.

I actually didn't see this ad as a gay couple until I found out who the models were. I read it more like a Benetton ad (e.g: http://tinyurl.com/6raeto8).

Posted by: BABH | May 18, 2012 5:01:39 PM

10. Besides, they're already behind -- I'm in Chicago today and saw it on the side of a city bus. It's cute! And really, so unoffensive on the scale of ads.

Posted by: Andrew ACG | May 18, 2012 5:02:07 PM

11. Yes the ad is cute and innocent and vulnerable and adorable.

Ah, la recherche de temps perdu !

Posted by: JackFknTwist | May 18, 2012 5:07:59 PM

12. Does anyone really think this group actually has 1,000,000 members who are moms?

Posted by: JONNY NYNY2FLFL | May 18, 2012 5:22:59 PM

13. I take exception to their claim that The GAP is "offending a huge majority of your customers". That's like me saying a huge majority of ONE MILLION MOMS actually buy their clothes at Wal-Mart.

Posted by: PatrickA | May 18, 2012 5:23:02 PM

14. let's hope they are as successful with this as they were with their Starbucks boycott!

Posted by: Oliver | May 18, 2012 5:28:06 PM

15. ^actually, was that OMM? or was it NOM? can't keep track anymore. let's just lump them all into OMMorons.

Posted by: Oliver | May 18, 2012 5:30:38 PM

16. The only possible reason that lame, laughable groups like this get any attention at all is because the media rely on controversy for content. Their letter is so pathetic. Not a shred of defensible rhetoric beyond "I don't like it." No wonder the organizations targeted by these losers just roll their eyes.

The ship has sailed, ladies, and you all are standing on the shore shaking your fists at people who are watching you get smaller and smaller...

Posted by: Rascal | May 18, 2012 5:31:51 PM

17. Oh, and those boys are adorbs.

Posted by: Rascal | May 18, 2012 5:32:51 PM

18. It's nice how companies like Starbucks, JC Penny etc. are starting to wear these anti-gay boycotts as badges of honor.

Posted by: Tom | May 18, 2012 5:38:53 PM

19. Oh jezus kriste, now we're gonna have to shop at The Gap, TOO? JCP is cool, you can get stuff for the whole house there, but The Gap is a bit limited for a 50-year-old. Did used to love my Gap jean jacket tho...maybe I'll get a new one. Honestly, these Hundred Moms are f*cking with my budget!

Posted by: jim | May 18, 2012 5:40:25 PM

20. They keep boycotting and they will not have anyplace to shop.

Posted by: JellyBean | May 18, 2012 5:43:50 PM

21. @Bash: what wonderful college town do you live in? I might want to visit just to see all the lads lounging snuggly and warm.

Posted by: gregory brown | May 18, 2012 5:46:23 PM

22. @Gregory: I'm in New Haven, but I believe there's a wider trend. See, e.g.: http://www.salon.com/2011/10/05/straight_male_friendship_now_with_more_cuddling/

Posted by: BABH | May 18, 2012 5:54:38 PM

23. I could be wrong, but I think what we have here are One Million Moms who aren't getting f*cked.

Posted by: Oliver | May 18, 2012 5:55:19 PM

24. Neutral would be having no models and only still life's, OR doing as GAP has done and fairly representing all sides in the "cultur wars." Neutral is not just showing heterosexuals. Not only does One Million Moms need a calculator, they obviously need a dictionary as well.

Posted by: Michaelandfred | May 18, 2012 5:56:27 PM

25. The One Million Moms could do society more good by trying to prevent social disasters instead of worrying about two cute boys cuddling in a photo. What if the moms broke into groups of 5 each and in each group the 5 women concentrated on one individual? That would be 200,00 efforts to help people. Even at a 10% success rate, this would mean 20,000 fewer divorces, unwanted pregnancies, high-school drop-outs, people on welfare.

Isn' this a better idea?

Posted by: Mary | May 18, 2012 6:00:51 PM