"Ex-Gays" | Evangelicals | Family Research Council | News | Religion

Preacher Breaks Down While Discussing 'Ex-Gay' Guide: VIDEO

JesseConnors

Conservative ideologues are currently gathered in Washington DC for Family Research Council's Watchmen on the Wall Pastors Briefing, where a man named Jesse Connors was given an opportunity to tout his website, TrueLife.org.

In addition to providing Biblical analysis and local church listings, Right Wing Watch reports the site also has a number of "instructional" videos that Connors claims were "built to convert a homosexual."

Connors must have felt the spirit, because he became overwhelmed by emotion and began to weep, especially when discussing one of the star's of his "ex-gay" video, a man who died of HIV/AIDS-related causes.

There's a lot that could be said about this little scene, and I'll let you do the talking in the comment. But first, watch the video, AFTER THE JUMP

Comments

1. @Rich, he surely needs helps. The video is sad.

Posted by: Matt26 | May 24, 2012 2:50:22 PM

2. I hope that man finds happiness one day. But he probably won't. That's incredibly sad.

Posted by: MateoM | May 24, 2012 2:54:45 PM

3. I agree with you Michae....he does not need our compassion, he needs someone to beat the fk out of him. Dumb ass.

Posted by: Reppin2 | May 24, 2012 2:54:58 PM

4. I agree with you Brian. The audience response was underwhelming. I didn't hear a single note of encouragement. And the poor fellow seems to be a a couple of tears away from a total meltdown. I find the video sad, disturbing, and a bit creepy.

Posted by: Joe | May 24, 2012 3:02:15 PM

5. It's really sad to see someone who's so obviously tortured. I wish him peace, and freedom from religious tyranny.

Posted by: Daniel | May 24, 2012 3:06:40 PM

6. I'm as capable as the next (gay) guy at feeling concern and compassion. But somehow, the thought never rises as I watch this histrionic wad work himself up purely for show. His audience seems to be waiting for him to finish.

Posted by: Soren456 | May 24, 2012 3:11:56 PM

7. So Jesus cured someone's gay, but not his AIDS. What a great God he is.

Posted by: esza | May 24, 2012 3:14:30 PM

8. @RICH...I just ran out of pity for scum like this. Maybe you can muster up enough for the both of us...but don't work too hard at my half...find your own and donate to him.
    Maybe you're young...who knows? I'm 60...I've spent my pity and compassion for garbage like this years ago. If you're young...save some for your later years...you'll need it because this wears on you after a few decades. Sound jaded? Yes, and over it !!!@

Posted by: Paul B. | May 24, 2012 3:14:55 PM

9. @Joe, that wasn't a total meltdown?? While watching, I expected him to jump up at any second and say "F#*K IT, I'M GAY GOD DAMMIT!" He is clearly fighting as hard as he can to convince himself that he is straight.. it's sad, but ultimately his fault...

What you resist, persists...

Posted by: Lucas | May 24, 2012 3:19:06 PM

10. I feel really bad for this guy. Religion is terrible.

Posted by: Johnathan | May 24, 2012 3:21:07 PM

11. We should all be very compassionate toward people with mental illness.

Until that mental illness starts influencing the political process and subsequently limiting the civil and human rights of others.

At that point, it doesn't matter what his problem is. He needs to get help or piss off and STFU.

It really does come down to that.

Posted by: The Milkman | May 24, 2012 3:23:17 PM

12. I think we used to call this 'tragic'.

Posted by: David | May 24, 2012 3:28:02 PM

13. Hate the sin, love the sinner.
    Hate the false message this man (and so many others) have been overwhelmed with; to hatefully deny his inner self all in the name of a loving god.
    Finding pity, having tolerance, practicing forgiveness for these most damaged of creatures doesn't mean forgetting or quitting our goals. Yes they have hurt us along with themselves, but must we (can we) hate them as much as they themselves or their own spiritual leaders, do?

Posted by: StevyD | May 24, 2012 3:34:21 PM

14. Watching this a second time (yuck!) I realized he reminded me of that "unwell" woman we all saw a week ago at the city council meeting. I'm thinking that mental illness takes many forms...it's very easy to confuse the ugly symptoms of religion with those of mental illness. They often look the same and often are...so what's a nice person to think?

Posted by: Paul B. | May 24, 2012 3:35:57 PM

15. I can not even fathom this level of self-denial and self-hatred, all in the name of religion. The weight of being this closeted is like being 5 feet tall, yet screaming to the world:

IF I PRAY HARD ENOUGH, I WILL BE 6 FEET TALL!

Posted by: Paul V. | May 24, 2012 3:37:06 PM

16. Another shining example of how religion takes away all the kookoo in people's lives. Oh wait, sorry -- how it makes them extra kookoo.

Posted by: Sam Armstrong | May 24, 2012 3:42:20 PM

17. That QUEEN wins the Meryl Streep award for acting. Gross.

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | May 24, 2012 3:45:38 PM

18. "shut up you cringing nancy"

Posted by: swinter | May 24, 2012 3:46:09 PM

19. I'm sorry, he was portraying fake emotion to garner support from those listening to him thus giving himself and methods validity. It's a tactic used by ministers all the time.

BTW, I am still waiting for an answer from MANY bloggers to state one of the 10 commandments or 8 beatitudes that condemns gay love between sexes. So far no replies.

Posted by: Dale | May 24, 2012 3:47:17 PM

20. I'm sorry, he was portraying fake emotion to garner support from those listening to him thus giving himself and methods validity. It's a tactic used by ministers all the time.

Posted by: Dale | May 24, 2012 3:47:21 PM

21. That man is the gayest man from gay town. I would seriously feel pity for him if I wasn't thinking of all the damage he is doing. More an more I am starting to see Christianity as akin to mental illness. I really am. This is exhibit A.

Posted by: AJ | May 24, 2012 3:55:34 PM

22. Ugh. How can anyone think that is OK.

Posted by: Matt | May 24, 2012 4:44:52 PM

23. I can only hope he fins his way out of the closet and his way to being healthy and happy.

Posted by: Magpie | May 24, 2012 5:27:01 PM

24. Sad pathetic mess...this man seems headed for either a nervous breakdown or an early grave- how ironic that a religion that is suppose to teach love has been twisted into a weapon of self loathing and hate.

Posted by: jaragon | May 24, 2012 5:46:48 PM

25. Pedro's response is right. He is pathetic. I think many of us have been through the torment he is obviously undergoing, but hopefully most of the rest of us didn't succumb to the neuroses as badly, and work for our own oppression. Pitiful creature. It gets better, but you can't make it better by identifying with the 'phobes.

Posted by: candideinncc | May 24, 2012 5:56:39 PM