I'm Gay | I'm Not Gay | News | Raven Symone

Raven Symone: 'My Sexual Orientation is Mine to Know'

Raven

In response to a National Enquirer story that she's dating and living with an America's Next Top Model contestant  in New York City, actress Raven Symone today tweeted that she doesn't plan on sharing her sexual orientation with anyone.

Tweeted Symone:

"I'm living my PERSONAL life the way I'm happiest. I'm not one, in my 25 year career to disclose who I'm dating. and I shall not start now....My sexual orientation is mine, and the person I'm datings to know. I'm not one for a public display of my life...However that is my right as a HUMAN BEing whether straight or gay. To tell or not to tell. As long as I'm not harming anyone...I am a light being made from love. And my career is the only thing I would like to put on display, not my personal life. Kisses!"

Comments

1. Hmm. It seems like if she wants to keep her personal life private (which is fine), the best way to do it would be to ignore the story and let it die. These tweets almost beg people to make it into a story.

Posted by: R | May 18, 2012 6:58:33 PM

2. Wow. It's as if she wants us to think her orientation is a state secret or something. She needs to get over herself.

Posted by: Randy | May 18, 2012 7:07:09 PM

3. Sounds a little Latifah-y, no?

The issue of "outing" is a controversial one, but if the cat's already out of the bag...may as well own up to it, even if it wasn't on your timeline. No point in running away from it...that's so craven.

Posted by: KDNA | May 18, 2012 7:08:17 PM

4. I always find when people say that their relationships are their own business (which they are)it still seems to scream, "I'm gay! Leave me alone.". Straight people never seem to go through the trouble - they just say they are straight and that's that.
    One more reason I can't wait for marriage equality...

Posted by: victor | May 18, 2012 7:08:29 PM

5. Ummm honey - you just outed yourself.

Posted by: Michael | May 18, 2012 7:09:15 PM

6. Yeah, probably not straight

Posted by: Steve | May 18, 2012 7:18:21 PM

7. Even though I think visibility is the greatest weapon we have to fight bigotry and intolerance Raven is alas an entertainer and not a spokesperson or civil rights activist for glbt causes. Every step of the way she has been respectful and complimentary of our community and asked for her private life to remain so...she owes us nothing. Perhaps someday when/if she is ready to come out we can embrace her without judgment. NOT TO MENTION THE FACT that she has the triple whammy of being black an female...that's a heavy burden. Not eeryone can be as fly as Pam Spaulding (shot out to a sister from another mister)!

Posted by: Tadpolicus Wex | May 18, 2012 7:28:40 PM

8. Well, kisses right back at ya, honey. Why is Towleroad reading the National Enquirer?

Posted by: Alan | May 18, 2012 7:36:13 PM

9. I think it was David Hyde Pierce who use to say something like "My life is an open book. I'm just not going to read it to you."

Posted by: Charles | May 18, 2012 7:42:06 PM

10. AZMarie is GORGEOUS! A perfect pair if it's true! Wishing you LOVE LOVE LOVE, Raven!

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | May 18, 2012 7:46:34 PM

11. Who??

Posted by: OMNOMNOM | May 18, 2012 7:49:53 PM

12. Your private life ceases to be private when you are the one plastering it all over the media.

Posted by: Lymis | May 18, 2012 7:54:19 PM

13. Lets's say, for the sake of argument, that she's straight. The exact same thing applies: she has a right to a private life. It's astounding that so many people on this site have a complaint about that when, frankly, a huge portion of the coverage here is about how awful it is for the GOP and fundies to police YOUR private lives. She's an entertainer. You are invited to see the characters she plays, and nothing more. When you go to a restaurant, you see what they bring to the table. What goes on in the kitchen is not your concern, period.

Posted by: Joey Y | May 18, 2012 8:08:10 PM

14. She's the new Dana Owens.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 18, 2012 8:41:59 PM

15. That was kind of a bad analogy, Joey. I very much disagree with anyone who says it's not the costumer's business what goes on in the kitchen at a restaurant. That's why we have strict regulations on restaurants.

Posted by: Ryan | May 18, 2012 9:03:46 PM

16. Hmm, if she said nothing the story would have died. Now that she responded with a "my sexual orientation is my own business", the story will never die. I believe everyone has the right to their privacy but usually the only people who remain vague about their orientation when asked are LGBT. Straight people also answer with a "Lol, sorry but I am straight". They never let their sexuality be vague. That said I do not believe she should be driven out of the closet. Her life is her own life.

Posted by: KP | May 18, 2012 9:12:06 PM

17. She was respectful with her comments.

Posted by: Mel Smith | May 18, 2012 9:25:59 PM

18. That's so Raven

Posted by: Jake | May 18, 2012 9:45:05 PM

19. Just. Gross.

Posted by: Matt | May 18, 2012 10:03:10 PM

20. I had never heard of "Raven Symone" until just now. So off to Wikipedia I go. OK, I'm back. Who cares?

Posted by: David Hearn | May 18, 2012 10:23:54 PM

21. It was always obvious she way gay. In EVERY interview, she gets VERY defensive when asked about her personal life and said she doesn't talk about it. We all know that line is code for "I'm gay".

Posted by: Obviously | May 18, 2012 10:31:01 PM

22. @ RYAN, what goes on in the kitchen of a restaurant is ONLY your concern in regards to your health. Her sex life has no effect whatsoever on you.

Posted by: Joey Y | May 19, 2012 1:50:18 AM

23. Ravene who?

Posted by: andrew | May 19, 2012 6:52:33 AM

24. in other words, I'm a lesbian.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | May 19, 2012 7:11:54 AM

25. wait--let me rephrase my previous comment: "In other words, I'm a lesbian and ashamed of it."

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | May 19, 2012 7:18:36 AM