Andrew Rannells | Justin Bartha | News | Ryan Murphy | Surrogacy | Television

'The New Normal' Gay Couple Andrew Rannells and Justin Bartha Interview a Surrogate: VIDEO

Rannels_bartha

On Friday, I posted a promo photo from The New Normal, the upcoming Also just released is a clip from The New Normal starring Andrew Rannells and Justin Bartha, the new Ryan Murphy series about a gay couple who forms a family with a surrogate. The show also co-stars Ellen Barkin and Nene Leakes.

Here's a brand new clip in which Rannells and Bartha interview the potential surrogate, Goldie.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Can't wait for this!

Posted by: Frank | May 14, 2012 11:01:37 AM

2. Very cute.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 14, 2012 11:10:29 AM

3. I'm always surprised with how adorable Justin Bartha is... This looks quite cute - looking forward to it!

Posted by: Billy | May 14, 2012 11:22:47 AM

4. As soon as the door swung and we see it's an NBC program...

Will last 3 weeks.

Posted by: David in NYC | May 14, 2012 11:28:24 AM

5. As soon as you mention Ryan Murphy I'm prepared for an interesting premise to go off the rails by episode 6. Character development be damned for the sake of "outrageous" plot twists.

Posted by: Waynesf | May 14, 2012 11:51:10 AM

6. Nope.

Posted by: Munro | May 14, 2012 12:27:16 PM

7. David, I kindly disagree with you. Yes, NBC is low-rated. However, they also have a history of supporting shows that are low-rated but critically-acclaimed (30 Rock, Parks & Rec, Community). So I think if the show is good, it will survive. I'm also happy that CBS picked up Partners, another gay-themed show. I just wish there were more lesbian-focused shows on network tv but hopefully that will come soon.

Posted by: Scar2 | May 14, 2012 12:28:10 PM

8. Heeheehee! One Million Mom boycott in 3.....2......1.....

Posted by: Michaelandfred | May 14, 2012 12:43:24 PM

9. I *loathe* the name of the series. Christian fundamentalists will seize on it as evidence that gay people want to 'destroy the American family' and other such nonsense. It also looks like it might be a tad heavy-handed. But, yes, Justin Bartha and Andrew Rannells are cute.

Posted by: peterparker | May 14, 2012 12:48:18 PM

10. So, this is a traditional surrogacy situation, not a gestational surrogacy issue. That is, this woman is the egg donor, as well. And she *expressly* says she's doing it for the money and no one balks?? (Automatic deal-breaker for surrogacy agencies and most prospective parents.)

Just no.

Posted by: jeffy | May 14, 2012 1:14:51 PM

11. I can't wait to see this.

Posted by: Miguel | May 14, 2012 1:31:19 PM

12. That actually looked OK.

Posted by: Glenn I | May 14, 2012 1:38:57 PM

13. @Jeff: and every surrogate does it JUST because it gives them a warm fuzzy feeling inside? If that were the case they would do it "pro bono". I'm not saying people just do it for money, not at all, but come on. BTW in this episode (and remember it is a TV show) she is doing it to make a better life for her child so she can go to school. It's not like she is using the money to buy designer clothes and candy canes. Geeze.

Posted by: WOW | May 14, 2012 2:22:20 PM

14. @Wow: OF COURSE surrogates are doing it for the money. I'm just telling that it's a deal-breaker to come right out and say it, as silly as that sounds. It's the elephant in the room throughout these relationships.

Posted by: jeffy | May 14, 2012 2:36:32 PM

15. She said she was doing it for the money because she wants to give her daughter a new life. The woman has goals in mind that require funds. She was honest and up front about needing the dough to go to law school.

Posted by: Jason | May 14, 2012 4:21:21 PM

16. Cue the NOM and One "Million" Moms boycott against the sponsors and NBC any second now. I'm suprised the boycott against NBC hasn't been in place for years, I meant that peacock is the color of the rainbow for crying out loud (Skittles: you're next!). How gay is that?

Posted by: WOW | May 14, 2012 4:46:52 PM

17. Speaking of One "Million" Moms...from their website:

"GCB got axed by ABC and won't be coming back for a second season. Praise the Lord! Jesus Christ will not be mocked! God is using OneMillionMoms.com to help remove this filth from television. As the hands and feet for the Lord, we are making a real difference.

These accomplishments are the result of the Lord's blessing on the prayers, action alerts, email letters, and gifts from concerned and generous supporters."
    Yes, because God has nothing better to do than put this on the top of his "to do" list!

Posted by: WOW | May 14, 2012 5:07:11 PM

18. Too cute and patronizing. It is NBC and will flame out in 3 episodes, no matter how good it is.

Posted by: Iwontgrowup | May 14, 2012 5:51:15 PM

19. Not what's needed for the gay community. What is needed is a drama, not a comedy. One that shows a gay couple ADOPTING one or more children, especially children others wouldn't want (ideally, a child with disabilities.) This does two things. First, it avoids the issue of children being created deliberately knowing that they will have a life without a mother or without a father. Surrogacy is still very controversial. Many people don't like the idea, and would probably love to pretend that gays/lesbians started the whole ttrend(an outrageous lie, but they might try to claim it.) Secondly, if you show gays adopting children then the message is that gays are rectifying the mistakes of others by picking up other people's parental slack. Some teenage girl gets pregnant out of wedlock and then gives up her baby. A gay couple adopts the child, who will now have TWO parents. Society benefits financially as well as socially from this.

When I started to regularly hear about gay couples who adopted children my opinion on the question of whether gays should be allowed to adopt just shifted automatically. I had an "oops" moment one day when I realized this had occurred without any struggle on my part to "evolve."

Posted by: mary | May 14, 2012 7:31:07 PM

20. @Mary: please don't tell us what you think we need! It's patronizing. Btw sometimes humor can go a long way to defusing situations and make those uncomfortable with it see that the other side is not the evil people we are made out to be as Will & Grace for the most part was able to do.

Posted by: PJ | May 14, 2012 8:41:19 PM

21. PJ, I'm only giving an opinion. Aren't we all entitled to have our opinions? And yes, you're right. Humor IS effective. I just don't think that this particular show will use it effectively. I agree with the others here who say this show could easily be used against the gay community. And I offered a realistic alternative, even explaining why I thought it was more realistic. Since I already said that I'd changed my position and become more liberal on the question of gays adopting, why are you still being hostile? Sure your name isn't really TJ instead of PJ?

Posted by: mary | May 14, 2012 8:53:31 PM

22. Actually, P & J are my initials. You have seen all of one minute and 14 seconds of this show, so how can you make a judgement that it won't use it effectively?? Just because you have "liberalized" your views doesn't mean you can tell us what we need or speak for us.

Posted by: PJ | May 14, 2012 9:15:43 PM

23. My having liberalized my views makes me an ideal candidate for giving advice about how to win people over. Listening to the stories of people who were once homophobic and then became pro-gay could enable you to create a strategy for building a winning majority. It's in the book "Switch: how to change when change is hard." Although it isn't a political book, it suggest that to effect change, you look for bright spots, see what caused them, and then try to replicate this situation on a larger scale. It doesn't always lead to miracles occuring, but it can lead to a surprising degree of success. It's a question of fighting smarter, rather than just fighting harder.

I actually have a ton of suggestions about what I think would be helpful. But I won't share them right now because I can see that you wouldn't listen to them now, you're too angry with me.

Posted by: mary | May 14, 2012 9:52:37 PM

24. I bet Ellen Barkin is going to steal the show.

Posted by: ror | May 14, 2012 10:03:12 PM

25. Really tired of sanctimonious straight people trying to tell GLBT people that they should adopt & not have their own kids (there's one of these people who pop up in nearly every discussion on surrogacy). Maybe straight folks should keep their pants on and stop popping out babies they don't want and can't take care of. Gays aren't your backup plan when you screw up. I think it's great that they're showing this expressly because it is about surrogacy, which as evidenced by Mary's silly comments, is still in need of being explained to straight people.

I'll definitely watch it (and yes, partly b/c Gartha is precious). Also, this particular scene did feel a bit Kevin & Scotty to me, and I loved those characters.

Posted by: Jackson | May 14, 2012 10:55:50 PM