New York | News | The Outs

The Outs, Episode 2: VIDEO

Outs2

Here's episode 2 of the new web series The Outs, about (gay) life in NYC. Although, if you missed it, you may want to start with Episode 1.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. @Jim, any chance the writers *had/have* lives like the friends of yours who slept around, or have friends who did? You say that the story exists "only in the minds of the writers" like it's a bad thing.

I'm 27 and I live in NYC, and parts of this aren't all that far from a stylized version of my life. As for the parts that are really far from *even* a stylized version of my life, well, that's why they call it "fiction", yes?

If you want to see a show about the kind of gay life you describe, go ahead and write it. Nothing can be all things to all people.

Also, not the critic, but the man in the arena, blah blah.

Posted by: Jeremy | May 25, 2012 11:12:56 PM

2. Also, I think we can all agree that if the show were about "getting up in the morning, showering and brushing our teeth, getting dressed and going to work, coming home and having dinner, and maybe going out for entertainment once in a while", we'd all be roundly criticizing it for being boring.

There's a reason fiction doesn't much resemble real life. It's because most of real life is dramatically *really boring.* Dramatic Writing 101.

Posted by: Jeremy | May 25, 2012 11:14:48 PM

3. I like the script and the characters are very likeable. Some of the screen direction in ep.2 could be better though. Either way, I'm hooked.

Posted by: Unicorn | May 25, 2012 11:55:25 PM

4. I agree somewhat with Jim on this. I watched the first episode and even though I'm just 31 wondered if this is what life is like for the gay 20-something. Seriously, I was born and raised in San Francisco, lived across the street from Ghirardelli Square and now on Russian Hill. I was high school mascot, 4.0 grade avg. went on to SFU with a full scholarship and have been openly gay all my life but life for me and my gay friends was never as it is depicted in this TV show. Is that what it is like in NY? How sad, seriously, how sad and it is no wonder the uneducated religious right think gay life is awful if they are basing it on shows like this.

Gay life here is very normal. Most of my friends, gay and straight, are in committed relationships, not all of course, some are single and a few on the edge but the latter come and go pretty quickly.

Real gay life is good, average, and pretty damn normal. I've got a husband, a job and a child - all to love and take care of. Nothing better then that in life. How come we don't see that on TV?

Posted by: OS2Guy | May 26, 2012 12:26:30 AM

5. OS2GUY, because teh gays are still HIlarious.

Posted by: yuninv | May 26, 2012 12:47:32 AM

6. Am I am too demanding... but is that really bland acting? Those lines sound very ¨written¨ and very rehearsed... but it is cute.

Posted by: Michel | May 26, 2012 1:08:45 AM

7. Sorry OS2GUY but Ive got 2 husbands, 2 blow-jobs AND a transvestite child and there isnt a show about my boring life either.

Posted by: Malaysian Ho | May 26, 2012 2:00:42 AM

8. Omg, I am sorry but after watching the first episode I thought it was pretty good but after seeing this second one I think this show is phenomenal. I can't believe some guys are bitching about certain aspects. Keep living in your walmart towns. I've been to the metropolitan bar and swore the last time I visited Brooklyn never to go again because the L train was a pain to get back into Manhattan with. its fantastic Mitchell and Oozi actually write the stuff with it being Mitchell's baby.

Posted by: Michae | May 26, 2012 2:03:35 AM

9. These are portraits of how to lead idiotic lives with idiotic people who have no thinking existence, no vision, no skills and certainly no future. Hollow, shallow and depressing.

Posted by: UFFDA | May 26, 2012 2:28:59 AM

10. @Ab: Sadly...

Posted by: Solomon | May 26, 2012 3:01:51 AM

11. @Ab & @Solomon: Yeah, that question popped up distinctly for me as well. However, so far the story/writing feels authentic.

As for the characters, they didn't seem stereotypical or flat to me. Jack is obviously going through something with his promiscuity...he's not just a lusty homosexual.

This show seems to be done well and I would LOVE to see more of it (and more like it)!

Posted by: C | May 26, 2012 3:44:58 AM

12. @Jim, "getting up in the morning, showering and brushing our teeth, getting dressed and going to work, coming home and having dinner, and maybe going out for entertainment once in a while"
    does not make for engaging tv, for that matter it doesn't even make for barely interesting tv. Then again I guess if there were to be a tv show based on that format it could be packaged as some kind of organic sleep aid.

Posted by: Oliver | May 26, 2012 5:38:22 AM

13. This is so absolutely wonderful. I love Mitchel (LOL at his grabbing on to the lady's boobs). And the final scene was so WOW! Tender and wonderful!

Posted by: vikram johri | May 26, 2012 6:56:54 AM

14. i thought it was fun
    lived for many years in nyc
    lived there in my 20s
    this seems somewhat off in a few respects
    first, way too white -
    second, they all seem to have their own apartments - that is, live by themselves
    that is completely false for underemployed 20s in nyc nowadays
    there should be rattier apartments and roommates aplenty
    why do shows about nyc always get the housing wrong
    housing is everything in nyc
    and it is always represented in a completely unrealistic way
    that said, i thought this well acted, funny and overall charming
    whereas the boys were not too pretty and seem realish they are -
    also of course all way above average in looks so that is also somewhat false -
    but i understand shows can't show too many ugly or overweight folks or ugly small dark apartments
    the cliche of the bitchy best straight girlfriend is done and needs to be reimagined -
    show highlights how much talent is out there and how the web is allowing folks to make art and get it out there for cheap -
    congrats to the them for making this happen

Posted by: jw | May 26, 2012 7:33:08 AM

15. Honestly, I found this series boring. I liked two scenes, when the two guys sit and talk in the sofa and teh final scene in bed. Other than that, not so good.

Posted by: Matt26 | May 26, 2012 8:52:18 AM

16. @JW

Exactly! Nobody ever gets the housing correct.

Posted by: JB | May 26, 2012 10:10:59 AM

17. can someone post these videos on youtube? vimeo is blocked in my country.

Posted by: some1were | May 26, 2012 11:24:07 AM

18. OS2GUY - yours really IS a story and because you're a writer you're the most able one day to write it up. Keep at it - a heartwarming, challenging, family story combined, perhaps, with Mary's late suggestion that a drama built around useful, socially contributive gay men/and women could have great merit. It's far more suitable and compelling nowdays than yet another gay orgasm hunt for twinks.

Posted by: UFFDA | May 26, 2012 11:35:36 AM

19. I'm confused, Jim.... are you saying that the bigotry and prejudice of anti-gay Christians is justified, just as long as they're hating "those evil stereotypical promiscuous gays?"

I mean, come on. Being upset that gay male characters in a fictional webseries geared toward gay men are "whores"? Someone sounds like he never had much luck getting any, just sayin'.

In the quest for liberation, so many of you seem to have forgotten the element of SEXUAL liberation. Your need to "remove the sexual element" from it, in a way to perhaps become palatable to Insecure Bigoted Straights, is self-defeating. Great, you're accepted. or Tolerated. And all you had to do was...censor and edit yourself into a desexualized "look at how boringly normal i am" type of neutered gay male.

That's great for you, but it aint for everyone.

But here's the solution - this is a webseries, and a low budget one. All y'all complainers have to do is make your own. Set in whatever town you choose, with characters that are as boring and sexless or "normal" (gag) and ordinary as you please. I'm sure it'll be riveting - watching a show about people who don't get laid because they're too busy worrying about what Straight Christians Think about them.

or something.

anyway, cute lil'show. be neat to see how it develops. i've lived in NYC for four years. there is indeed another wave of young people who, yeah, don't like to hear words like "promiscuous" used pejoratively. dont' be upset that fictional gay characters get more than you ever did. use it for escapism. you know, the way millions of straight women did when they watched "sex and the city" and exclaimed "oh! this is SO our LIVES!" - when it, like, totally wasn't.
    ;-)

and yeah i want that scruffy one.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 26, 2012 12:01:30 PM

20. @ RONTEX: My real name isn't Nathan. I don't use it online, because it's so unique it's an instant identifier. I also don't spend any time in the gay scene, so you likely haven't seen me around.

Posted by: Nathan | May 26, 2012 1:23:28 PM

21. Like all tv shows you have to make it more highted. Personally I have been in the same place as any of these characters, gone thur a whore period after a bad brake up, dealt with a crazy boyfriend, and tried to find love. These episodes are all under 20 mins long it will take some time to get to know these characters, but so far I enjoy how lost they all are in this stage of their life.

Posted by: Matt | May 26, 2012 1:37:27 PM

22. I can not believe what whiny little bitches some of u guys are. This is probably the most down to earth, realistic, heart warming and relatable portrayal of gay life I have seen on tv. If you guys are looking for an Oscar worthy web series about gay guys that don't hook up, drink, do drugs and try to find love while, yes, having a kinda bitchy but witty girl as a good friend, then go sit on the back of the bus and was for NOM to write you a script. I played the last scene of the 2nd series five times over because it was perhaps the best scene I've seen that deals with gay love.

Posted by: Michae | May 26, 2012 4:41:47 PM

23. I can not believe what whiny little bitches some of u guys are. This is probably the most down to earth, realistic, heart warming and relatable portrayal of gay life I have seen on tv. If you guys are looking for an Oscar worthy web series about gay guys that don't hook up, drink, do drugs and try to find love while, yes, having a kinda bitchy but witty girl as a good friend, then go sit on the back of the bus and was for NOM to write you a script. I played the last scene of the 2nd series five times over because it was perhaps the best scene I've seen that deals with gay love.

Posted by: Michae | May 26, 2012 4:41:48 PM

24. A gay soap opera. It's alright. I agree with Pedro though, it's not great or something to rave about, but not much is.

@MICHAE,

The L train isn't that bad. I assume you were going to Willamsburg? That's not that far from the city.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 26, 2012 5:28:09 PM

25. "Nobody ever gets the housing correct."

Rosanne being an exception.

As for "where is the guy with the regular job and coming home to the husband and kid and dinner every night", that would be America's number one comedy these days, no?

Posted by: BobN | May 26, 2012 5:56:54 PM