2012 Election | Barack Obama | Gay Marriage | Gay Marriage Quotes | Joseph Biden

BigGayDeal.com

Vice President Joe Biden Is For Marriage Equality: VIDEO

Biden

This morning on Meet The Press, in an interview with David Gregory, Vice President Joe Biden announced his support of marriage equality.

Watch Joe Biden on Meet The Press AFTER THE JUMP...

Here's a transcript of the relevant part of the interview:

Gregory: You write social policy. I'm curious. You know, the president has said that his views on gay marriage, on same sex marriage, have evolved. But he's opposed to it. You are opposed to it. Have your views evolved?

Biden: Look -- I just think that, uh, the good news is that as more and more Americans come to understand what this is about, it's a simple proposition. Who do you love? Who do you love? And will you be loyal to the person you love? And that's what people are finding out. It's what all marriages, at their root, are about. Whether they're marriages of lesbians, or gay men, or heterosexuals.

That's what you believe now?

That's what I believe!

And you're comfortable with same sex marriage now?

Look. I'm Vice President of the United States of America. The president sets the policy. I am absolutely comfortable with the fact that men marrying men, women marrying women and heterosexual -- men and women marrying – are entitled to the same exact rights, all the civil rights, all the civil liberties. And quite frankly, I don’t see much of a distinction beyond that.

In a second term, will this administration come out behind same sex marriage? The institution of marriage?

Well, I, I can't speak to that. Uh, I, I, I, I don't know the answer to that. But I can tell you --

Sounds like you'd like to see it happen. If that's where the president ...

Well, the president continues to fight. Whether it's Don't Ask Don't Tell, or whether it is making sure, across the board, that you can't discriminate -- look at the executive orders he's put in place. Any hospital that gets federal funding, which is almost all of them, they can't deny a partner from being able to have access to their partner [who's] ill, or making the call on whether or not they, you know ... it's just, this is evolving. And by the way, my measure, David -- and I take a look at when things really began to change, is when the social culture changes. I think Will and Grace probably did more to educate the American public than almost anything anybody's ever done so far.

And I think people fear that which is different. Now they're beginning to understand, they're beginning to understand that this -- as a base! -- I, uh, was speaking to a group of gay leaders in Los Angeles last, two weeks ago. And one gentleman looked at me in the question period and said, let me ask you, how do you feel about us? And I had just walked in to the backdoor of this gay couple and their, their two adopted -- and I turned to the man who owned the house, and said: What did I do when I walked in? He said: You walked right to my children. They were seven and five, and giving you flowers. And I said, I wish every American could see the look of love those children have in their eyes for you guys, and they wouldn't have any doubt what this is about.

This is the kind of off-the-script vice-presidential headline-making that any administration can either hurry to embrace or else attempt to slink away from. Interestingly, the Obama administration seems to be doing both.

According to the Washington Post, a "Biden spokesperson" clarifies:

[The Vice President] was saying what the President has said previously -- that committed and loving same-sex couples deserve the same rights and protections enjoyed by all Americans, and that we oppose any effort to rollback those rights.

On Twitter, President Obama's Communications Director, David Axelrod, is more succinct:

What VP said-that all married couples should have exactly the same legal rights-is precisely POTUS's position.

Good to know.

Watch Joe Biden on Meet The Press AFTER THE JUMP...

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

1. "It's a fictional show that stereotypes gays."

Articulate intelligently, please. It's a show that brought "gay" into american households, and in many ways it was indeed a "gay for straight people" show, which is still (alas) very much needed.

i'm not sure what "stereotypes gays" is supposed to mean, though. it sounds like something someone says without understanding what they're saying.

i thought will's relationship with that oh-so-fine cop, and the oh-so-fine Taye Diggs, were rather touching. I thought it beautifully illustrated a very real slice of a very specific gay manhattan existence.

simmer.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 6, 2012 7:27:31 PM

2. Dear racist Littlekiwi,

Stop calling everyone who doesn't support Obama an insecure white gay. Racism works both ways, and you're sounding pretty damn racist to me.
    You have a problem with white people? Deal with it, but stop calling us racists. We can freely hate Obama. I hated Bush, and still do, and consider both of them to be the same on the issue of LGBT rights.

Posted by: Matt | May 6, 2012 9:15:07 PM

3. Biden may be comfortable with the idea of same sex marriage but that won't help Americans in committed relationships with same sex partners from other countries. These Americans have limited opportunity to even be with their partners or they must give up America and go make new lives in foreign countries that are willing to accept same sex partners such as Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland France, Germany, Iceland, Israel, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom -- all of which do recognize same sex partnerships and grant the right to sponsor same sex partners/spouses. While it is true that young Americans do understand and accept the idea of people loving each other regardless of gender our government is woefully behind the times when it comes to such enlightenment. The US government refuses to recognize that families can be formed through same sex relationships and that causes tremendous emotional and financial strain to those couples/families who must live apart due to this burden.

Posted by: ZoeO | May 6, 2012 11:24:13 PM

4. Biden is amazing

Posted by: Reality | May 7, 2012 12:01:46 AM

5. Biden may be comfortable with the idea of same sex marriage but that won't help Americans in committed relationships with same sex partners from other countries. These Americans have limited opportunity to even be with their partners or they must give up America and go make new lives in foreign countries that are willing to accept same sex partners such as Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland France, Germany, Iceland, Israel, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom -- all of which do recognize same sex partnerships and grant the right to sponsor same sex partners/spouses. While it is true that young Americans do understand and accept the idea of people loving each other regardless of gender our government is woefully behind the times when it comes to such enlightenment. The US government refuses to recognize that families can be formed through same sex relationships and that causes tremendous emotional and financial strain to those couples/families who must live apart due to this burden.

Posted by: ZoeO | May 7, 2012 12:05:37 AM

6. It must be an election year.

Posted by: DAVID | May 7, 2012 1:59:45 AM

7. NOT SO FAST ... this administration is still playing games with the ones they consider ever dispensable, us the GLBTs, since they know we'll support them no matter what.

"The White House echoes Axelrod. In a statement released to Politico, a spokesperson from the Vice President’s office maintains Biden’s comments do not fall outside the administration’s current stance.

“The Vice President was saying what the President has said previously – that committed and loving same-sex couples deserve the same rights and protections enjoyed by all Americans, and that we oppose any effort to rollback those rights [...] Beyond that, the Vice President was expressing that he too is evolving on the issue, after meeting so many committed couples and families in this country.”

"EVOLVING" ... there they go again, backtracking when it should be an easy thing to say they support GLBT equality. I call it political cowardice, doing whatever will get them the votes even if they have to throw under the bus the GLBT community once again.

Tell you what, I may have voted for the Obama administration last time, but this time I will be "evolving" too and decide on November 11, 2012 if I will support them with my money and vote once again. How's that!

And to all those who say we must BLINDLY continue to vote for them because they are "Democrats" (the blue/red farce) and will do the right thing in their 2nd term.

Is the right thing similar to what Clinton did? Like DOMA passing in Clinton's 2nd term?

Posted by: FunMe | May 7, 2012 3:49:58 AM

8. dear racist matt, i'm white. you're not a racist because you hate obama, you hate obama because you're a racist. :D

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 7, 2012 9:55:15 AM

9. Someday the United States will accept gay marriage, Until then just move north to Canada where you can have equality and the American way of life.

Also note to Zoeo, Australia does not support gay marriage they are in the same boat as Americans are with state and federal governments refusing to advance like the other Commonwealth Countries such as Canada and the UK.

Posted by: Darrell | May 7, 2012 9:56:15 AM

10. V P Joe Biden is one of the most down to earth, honest politician. I voted for Hillary Clinton in the Pa primary and Obama in the general election and I have respect for both of them, but I believe he is a less calculating politician than either of them. With Joe Biden you get what you see. He has become the butt of late nite jokes. He is no joke. He comes from middle class Irish-Catholic roots. He was a senator for about 30 years. He chaired major committes like Judiciary and Foreign Affairs. He has been a life long liberal democrat who was reelected about 5 times in the fairly centrist or conservative state of Del. He has been an outstanding spokesman for progressive causes in the USA. His personal family story has been inspirational. If you don't know it, check it out.

Posted by: andrew | May 7, 2012 10:17:10 PM

11. I agree with jackfkwtwist that we must reelect Obama to push the SCOTUS to the left.If Romney wins the SCOTUS will be controlled by the right wing for the next generation. That is NO exaggeration.

Posted by: andrew | May 7, 2012 10:39:35 PM

12. @Matt: I am a lifelong liberal democrat who almost never votes for a republican and even I know that the foreigner who calls himself Littlekiwi is an a**hole. Don't judge all of us lefties as if we agree with the mean spirited vitriol of his.

Posted by: andrew | May 8, 2012 2:49:56 AM

13. @Paul: Name a few things that Cheney did! Go ahead name them. Cat got your tongue?

Posted by: andrew | May 8, 2012 3:14:20 AM

14. @Darrell: Don't make Canada the ideal nation. There are millions of French-Canadians and others who would like to be free of British Royal Family as their soverigns.

Posted by: andrew | May 8, 2012 5:04:07 AM

15. Wasn't it pleasant to have Kiwi absent during the last week so that we could have a rational exchange of ideas?

Posted by: andrew | May 8, 2012 5:14:58 AM