Art and Design | David Hockney | News | Royalty

BigGayDeal.com

David Hockney Produces His First Royal Portrait

Hockney

British artist David Hockney has painted his first portrait of the Queen, the UK's Daily Mail tabloid reports:

"The last time he was asked to paint the Queen, David Hockney politely declined on the grounds that he was too busy painting her country. But the Jubilee river pageant has prompted the 74-year-old to change his mind and create his first picture of the Monarch. A printed copy of his riverscape – produced using an iPad as he watched the flotilla on television – will be given by the artist to the Queen to add to the Royal Collection, which has portraits dating back to the 16th Century."

Comments

1. Looks like crap.

Posted by: Jack M | Jun 11, 2012 11:13:53 AM

2. I agree. I'll never understand what differentiates an elite artist like David Hockney from a 5th grader with fingerpaints. Are those rowing sculls or centipedes in the water?

Posted by: Eddie | Jun 11, 2012 11:22:58 AM

3. The difference is that for some unreasonable reason a loud or influential critic begins irrational praise of a non-entity like Hockney (or Warhol), is then joined by other aspiring critics eager to have the latest correct opinion, who then stonewall sensible/critical dissent in an industry governed by pretention.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 11, 2012 11:54:27 AM

4. Not a huge fan of the monarchy, I assume.

Posted by: BobN | Jun 11, 2012 12:14:05 PM

5. I've always like Hockney's work. But this?

Posted by: Sammy | Jun 11, 2012 12:23:43 PM

6. It is wonderful, I love it.

Posted by: trees | Jun 11, 2012 12:39:11 PM

7. How did I miss that big purple mountain last time I was on London?

Posted by: Mason | Jun 11, 2012 12:46:34 PM

8. I think the picture known as "Hugging Towers", found by Joe Jervis in the wake of September 11, 2001 and recently donated to the World Trade Center Memorial and Museum, has far more artistic depth and meaning than this piece of crap. And it WAS done by an elementary-school child.

Posted by: Tessie Tura | Jun 11, 2012 12:48:01 PM

9. It's a remarkably good likeness of the Queen, though.

Posted by: Demian | Jun 11, 2012 12:52:21 PM

10. I love it, Hockney is brilliant sometimes.

Posted by: CHAD | Jun 11, 2012 12:52:25 PM

11. Who is David Hockney?

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | Jun 11, 2012 1:20:28 PM

12. Well, even the Queen needs toilet paper...

Posted by: Randy | Jun 11, 2012 1:23:49 PM

13. It's not Hockey's best work, but come on, guys, he's done some great art in his day. I always laugh when people criticize art, but know nothing about it. You hate it, therefore it's worthless and anyone who likes it is an elitist. Well, art doesn't always have to be a "pretty picture"... Sometimes it can have cultural, political, or social relevance and themes that make it thought-provoking and meaningful. In my experience, if you don't know what you're talking about, it's a good idea to shut up. Lol. I wouldn't speak as an authority on accounting, medicine or golf, for example, because I'd look like an idiot to anyone who actually knows something about these topics. We all have areas of knowledge and experience. Just because you have an opinion on something doesn't mean it's an informed one.

Posted by: Graphicjack | Jun 11, 2012 1:29:13 PM

14. Always the same argument, anyone who disagrees with the prevailing opinion is "uninformed" if not stupid...no one else can be right or "as right." Hockney hasn't even tried, this is a silly work of clumsey craft as anyone can see. Hockney has, however, done some wonderful things, though they have never shown any remarkable skill.

I have made a good living from the get go and for a long time as an artist - gallery sales and many public commissions. I never apply for awards because I know the canned response of committee critics: we don't know what to make of this (because in fact I work in a style that demands actual knowledge as well as a good eye, not vacuous theories or fads - an ironical twist in this discussion).

Some guy (I have blocked his name as yet another of the many in our spoiled culture who have no reason to be known) put a big shark in a plexiglass tank of (something) and is now fronting a major (LOL) show of colored bubbles in his galleries throughout the world...or maybe I've conflated two equally banal imposters...who cares? I don't need to be informed further to know what it's not.

Never be intimidated by the art establishment...and so glad to see that many of you aren't.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 11, 2012 3:35:28 PM

15. I've always really liked his on-canvas stuff, esp from the 70s. But his iPad stuff? Meh, not so much.

Posted by: Derek Pearce | Jun 11, 2012 3:52:37 PM

16. Seriously now that painting looks like it could have been made by any six year old with some crayons...

Posted by: jaragon | Jun 11, 2012 6:18:30 PM

17. Oh, I'm a fan of Draw Something too!

Posted by: I Love My Brick | Jun 11, 2012 7:05:03 PM

18. @UFFDA...you obviously don;t have a Hockney or a Warhol...LMAO.

Posted by: Chris | Jun 11, 2012 9:05:54 PM

19. CHRIS - actually I love that Hockney of his boyfriend Peter swimming underwater in a sunstruck California swimming pool - years ago now but memorable, and I'd love to have even a copy. Warhol though is pure fame-making-for-no-good-reason to me.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 11, 2012 11:26:45 PM

20. Ditto GRAPHICJACK. One of the most amazing experiences I had was a triptych production at the Met of "The Rite of Spring", "The Nightingale" , and "Oedipus Rex". Music: Stravinski; Sets and costumes: David Hockney. Truly transcendent.

Posted by: David R. | Jun 12, 2012 12:16:43 AM

21. David is brilliant. He's remained fresh and inquisitive and technologically savvy throughout his long career.

Posted by: Ernie | Jun 12, 2012 12:28:58 AM

22. UFFDA, if you don't know that Damian Hirst was the artist who created "The Physical Impossibility Of Death In The Mind Of Someone Living"--the title of the piece with the shark suspended in a tank in a solution of formaldehyde--then I have to question your credentials.

Personally, I hate that piece (and many of Hirst's other works) because I can't stand that a shark (3 actually) had to die to make that work of art. But it is considered one of the quintessential pieces of British art from the 1990s. Like most great art, it generates very strong feelings all along the spectrum of emotion. It seems this Hockney piece is doing the very same thing. (I hate it, by the way.)

Posted by: peterparker | Jun 12, 2012 1:28:33 AM