Ashleigh Banfield | Curtis Knapp | News

BigGayDeal.com

CNN's Ashleigh Banfield: I Didn't Mean to Call Homosexuality a 'Voluntary Lifestyle Choice': VIDEO

A_banfield

CNN's Ashleigh Banfield attempted to clarify remarks that she made yesterday following a segment about Kansas Pastor Curtis Knapp, who believes the government should kill gay people, Mediaite reports.

In her remarks, Banfield called homosexuality a "voluntary lifestyle choice", but on her CNN newscast today, she said that wasn't what she meant at all.

Said Banfield:

I made some comments yesterday that ended up getting a lot of traction out there, not only on Twitter but elsewhere. And I want to be very, very clear about what my comments were about. I probably misspoke and mangled words, but I want to be very clear.

When I said that incest and pedophilia involve people who don’t have a choice — victims who don’t have a choice — and then said a gay relationship, you do have a choice, they are not crimes. Gay people involved in relationships are not committing any crimes at all. However, those who perpetrate incest and perpetrate pedophilia are committing crimes. I don’t know that my comments were taken in that light and I certainly hope they were, but in no way did I ever want to suggest that being gay is a choice. It is not. And I probably used the word “lifestyle choice” — not what I meant to say at all. Being gay is not a choice; being in a voluntary gay relationship is a choice. It is not a crime. So I hope that at least clears up any of the comments I made after that story of the pastor. And in no way do I agree with or stand by any of the comments that that pastor made either.

Watch Banfield try to correct her statement, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. yep that's what i thought she meant, although she made a mess of saying it. she's on our side, leave the poor woman alone now

Posted by: DanSwon | Jun 1, 2012 7:40:54 AM

2. Oh, I feel sorry for her! I've certainly mangled my words by not being able to pull the correct word out of my mess of a brain. In this case, using the word "consent" instead of "choice" would have made her intentions clear, I think.

Posted by: Scot Colford | Jun 1, 2012 7:46:51 AM

3. Yes, she is definitely on our side.

Posted by: fgsweetdog | Jun 1, 2012 7:56:45 AM

4. Here's a thought Ashley.... When you schedule a far-right anti-gay partisan for an on-air discussion, don't try to handle it yourself. Try a "fair and balanced" approach and have a professional gay advocate on-air at the same time to provide the counter argument. Then you won't have to worry about getting the terminology all confused.

Even your explanation isn't all that good. The pastor would just agree with you that being in a gay relationship is a "choice" and since the Bible says gay relationships are a sin, then gays should just "choose" not to be in gay relationships the same way that society expects pedophiles to "choose" not to act on their desires.

Posted by: Tim NC | Jun 1, 2012 8:00:45 AM

5. Here's a thought Ashley.... When you schedule a far-right anti-gay partisan for an on-air discussion, don't try to handle it yourself. Try a "fair and balanced" approach and have a professional gay advocate on-air at the same time to provide the counter argument. Then you won't have to worry about getting the terminology all confused.

Posted by: Tim NC | Jun 1, 2012 8:00:46 AM

6. This is good enough for me. Case closed.

Posted by: scotsyank | Jun 1, 2012 8:05:55 AM

7. It would have been far better for her to have made this explanation yesterday to the same audience that she made the original statement to. It's likely a completely different audience hearing this explanation today.

Posted by: Tim NC | Jun 1, 2012 8:12:02 AM

8. She really needs a good writer—even this clarification is a jumbled mess. Small point, but I don't know of any state in the US, or in the world, where _all_ forms of incest are illegal— most states in the US, if they address it at all, only address incest as it relates to possible genetic problems arising from breeding between close relatives.

Posted by: Eric | Jun 1, 2012 8:40:23 AM

9. A bad dye job is a lifestyle choice honey, when did you choose to be straight Ashleigh?

Posted by: John Normile | Jun 1, 2012 9:03:53 AM

10. Now THAT'S an apology!!

Posted by: nikko | Jun 1, 2012 9:25:01 AM

11. Yes, she has explained her meaning clearly and anyone can mangle their words from time to time. Who doesn't ?

I just hate the discussion of paedophilia and homosexuality in the same room at the same time.
    There is absolutely no connection whatever between the two and they should not arise within the same debate.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jun 1, 2012 9:34:30 AM

12. Apology accepted. Move on. Stop the snarky remarks and stop the hate; she's on our side. Everybody makes mistakes and she was strong enough to admit it and try to correct it. Get over it, haters!

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Jun 1, 2012 9:51:45 AM

13. Leave her aloneness you whiny nellies.

Posted by: EatGine | Jun 1, 2012 9:53:26 AM

14. Absolutely agree with Alex above. She really did "misspeak" and she has clarified. Leave her alone. She is a good person.

Posted by: Jay | Jun 1, 2012 10:38:46 AM

15. Just accept the apology already.

It's a hell of a lot better than the scripted emotionless crap GLAAD usually writes for people.

I'd much rather accept an apology that is off-the-cuff than one that has prewritten talking points. It makes it sincere instead of just a PR move.

Posted by: Brad | Jun 1, 2012 10:44:24 AM

16. All right, you self-righteous bit**es who have never made a mistake or misspoken: cut the gal some slack: she misspoke and then did the right thing by trying to remedy it. Now back off.

Posted by: Danny in the East Village | Jun 1, 2012 11:04:26 AM

17. You don't choose to be gay but you're incorrect in stating that acting on those gay feelings isn't a personal choice you make. No one has died from not acting on their gay feelings. The reasons for not acting on those feelings should be personal and not coerced. But, to try and say that you don't choose to bump unglies isn't a logical arguement. Just because you're gay doesn't mean anything other than you act a bit different in the bedroom when time and opportunity permit. That's it. Unless you live with your mom in the same room I don't see who's stopping you from doing what you want.

Posted by: Old Skooler | Jun 1, 2012 11:06:58 AM

18. Excuuuse me GOPROUD TROLLS...

But what part of "I PROBABLY misspoke and mangled words..."

...DIDN'T you understand?

PROBABLY...

MEANING "MAYBE"

Meaning LACKNG ALL SINCERITY AND TRUTH IN HER APOLOGY.

You republican turds sure can spin anti-gay animus.

As the KIWI would imply...Just another attempt to white wash gay hate for your Daddies who hate you for being gay.

SORRY, ASHLEY...apology NOT accepted...TRY AGAIN.

Posted by: Mic | Jun 1, 2012 11:14:16 AM

19. "...No one has died from not acting on their gay feelings..."

Dear POS: The day you account for all those teens who committed suicide or being gay BEFORE they 'acted' on their feelings...

...is the day we'll award you a little tin Psychiatry Badge from a fruitlopp box.

In the meantime shut the ''F" up and sit down.

Cause you are 100% WRONG.

SAAVY?

Posted by: Mic | Jun 1, 2012 11:17:28 AM

20. She is not qualified to speak publicly on the subject. I'm not sure she's qualified to speak publicly on any subject.

Posted by: Boris | Jun 1, 2012 12:34:29 PM

21. I accept her apology and understand she mangled her words. But in explaining the mangling of her words, she really seemed to mangle them again. Just drop the word "choice" from the discussion completely. Those in a "voluntary straight relationship" are making the same kind of "choice" that she ascribes to gay relationships.

Now, moving along...

Posted by: MrRoboto | Jun 1, 2012 1:00:29 PM

22. God, Mic, reading comprehension is not your strength.

Posted by: ger | Jun 1, 2012 1:03:48 PM

23. Mic is the only GoProud troll on here. So everybody just ignore him.

Posted by: MateoM | Jun 1, 2012 1:17:17 PM

24. She was talking about how pedophiles are born vs how gays are born. Her explanation is an attempt to pretend she was talking about people's actions rather that talking about the qualities of the people. Words mean things, and the way she said it was clear. Pedophilia and incest are innate, being gay is a choice is what she said basically.

Posted by: Hex | Jun 1, 2012 3:28:22 PM

25. Oh, and if people inclined to engage in pedophilia or incest should be where the cultural warriors should be focusing their efforts. People who have no choice but to enter into a child rape relationship need to be our first priority to deal with, not gays.

So whether she was contrasting how people are born or contrasting their behaviors, she was defending people who engage in pedophilia and incest.

Posted by: Hex | Jun 1, 2012 4:09:49 PM