California | Gay Marriage | Proposition 8

BigGayDeal.com

California Man Excoriates County Supervisors For Anti-Gay Politics: VIDEO

JeffGerardCA

Jeff Gerard has some serious gumption.

The California man last month appeared at a meeting of the Sutter County Supervisors to blast board members for their past anti-gay politics, including supporting Proposition 8 and pressuring a county clerk to stop issuing marriage licenses to gay couples during that brief period when same-sex nuptials were legal in the Golden State.

Here's the video's YouTube description:

Jeff 4 Justice addresses the anti-LGBT actions of Sutter Country Supervisors James Gallagher and Stan Cleveland.

Jeff explains how lowly they are if they need their marriages protected because of gays having the same right to legally marry as them; he calls out Gallagher for revealing his sexuality in his county biography while trying to stop SB48; and he calls them out for trying to get their country clerk to not issue marriage licenses to gay couples when they were allowed to wed for a few months back in 2008 in California.

Gerard also calls out Gallagher for once saying, "There's no fundamental right for the state to recognize relationships," a quote the activist says resembles Ron Paul's libertarian politics. "If you believe that, I hope you would be more of an advocate of getting government out of marriage as opposed to saying a certain portion of gay people can't participate in marriage."

You can check out more of Gerard's work here and you should also watch the video AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. join jeff4justice on youtube - he's amazing and well as his interviews

Posted by: Disgusted American | Jun 14, 2012 11:31:58 AM

2. join jeff4justice on youtube - he's amazing and well as his interviews

Posted by: Disgusted American | Jun 14, 2012 11:32:00 AM

3. join jeff4justice on youtube - he's amazing and well as his interviews

Posted by: Disgusted American | Jun 14, 2012 11:32:29 AM

4. this guy is fame hungry, masked in activisim, he has tried to take down a local gay support group in Yuba City because they were using a name he came up with and demanded money for the use after he had given up the group and name but saw it was getting popular after he left and saw profit, they didnt agree and he locked the board out of all the support pages, they had to start new ones, this guy is a joke...he also has this extremist POV which will never win anyone over just push people further away, thus hurting the cause of gay rights... I can go on, but won't

Posted by: Salvador | Jun 14, 2012 11:47:57 AM

5. i have a better idea, Salvador - you raise your own voice and visibility and do "a better job" by "not being an extremist."

Wouldn't that be more productive? To do the work he's doing, but in a way you feel would be more effective, rather than sitting on the sidelines and pointing out what you think he's doing wrong?

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jun 14, 2012 11:51:15 AM

6. LittleKiwi - I totally agree with you and thats why, a group of us have started a local support group at our local college, the first in the area btw, and we are taking the examples from Jeff and learning what to do and what not to do. We are looking to educated the public and make ourselves visable to the community through building relationships with local schools, businesses, etc. through volunteer work, and other events :D

Posted by: Salvador | Jun 14, 2012 11:58:51 AM

7. well, that's a good start. because invisibility is the enemy.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jun 14, 2012 12:06:12 PM

8. When it comes to insisting on equal civil and human rights for all of us, then I'm more than happy to be labeled an "extremist". We're either equal or we're not. There's no in-between. And if we're not equal, then there's no reason to discuss much of anything until we are.

Posted by: The Milkman | Jun 14, 2012 12:19:46 PM

9. The enemy IS invisibility AND/OR an odious visibility. How you do it is every bit as important as that you do it. Be visible to be acceptable.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 14, 2012 12:54:12 PM

10. More of us need to stand up like Jeff and speak out against the injustice that is being done to LGBT people every day. The time has come to stop the hate and let Americans who love each other get married.

Posted by: Dave | Jun 14, 2012 1:18:55 PM

11. More of us need to stand up like Jeff and speak out against the injustice that is being done to LGBT people every day. The time has come to stop the hate and let ALL Americans who love each other get married.

Posted by: Dave | Jun 14, 2012 1:19:11 PM

12. I agree with Salvador. Being from the Yuba Sutter area ... I have to say Jeff really has changed throughout his process of "making a voice" for the LGBT community here in the Sutter Couty area. He went from being humble to becoming this fame hungry extremist. What is seen on the outside does not match the inside. I'm not gonna mention what he has done because slander is not the way to go and I am above that. What he did to the LGBT group here in town was uncalled for (i.e. locking the board out of websites and whatnot, then demanding money from a non-charitable group)He is quickly becoming a facade of who he wants to be. Sorry Jeff you should really do some soul searching and remember what you started and why you started it. Seems like all you're looking for is fame and notoriety. I'm not fooled!!

Posted by: Kaylee | Jun 14, 2012 3:20:24 PM

13. Well, in this video, he was direct, thoughtful, and brave. Whatever he's done behind the scenes, or in the past, this was certainly not the presentation of an "extremist," as it were. And what's wrong with extremists? Relationship building was and is a wonderful way to raise awareness of LGBT rights. But there is also a place for anger. After all, your relationship building comes decades after the anger that began the gay rights movement - Stonewall. You're damn right I'm angry that I can still be fired from my job for being gay. You're right I'm angry that my nephew gets bullied for being perceived as gay. Anger is good. Whatever his his background, Jeff did a nice job here.

Posted by: dattexas | Jun 14, 2012 4:25:43 PM

14. Salvador,

I have another great video I made last year with petty people like you in mind. The videos is called: “LGBTs Persecuting LGBT Activists: STOP IT!” and it addresses your shallow grievances.

Next, have we met? Did we ever hang out and talk? Did you ever to get to know me on any kind of personal level or are you prejudging me based on what you’ve heard about me from other people – kinda the same way homophobes prejudge LGBT folk without getting to know them.

Regarding your silly ‘fame hungry’ comment:
    1) I am nowhere near famous
    2) What’s wrong with wanting to be famous? Would you rather we have less or more famous LGBT voices publicly visible?
    3) If you’re so seemingly anti-famous people are you going to decline any involvement from famous people in the local LGBT group? Mark S. Allen of Good Day Sacramento is an ally. Would you refuse his involvement?
    4) If I ever do attain fame would you rather I invest in donating to the LGBT community of Y-S or keep people like you in mind and invest elsewhere?
    5) The most famous LGBT person from Y-S was a comic who was a regular on Chelsea Lately. Should he donate and help you guys or should he be chased off for wanting to be famous?

Next, regarding your slander of me, let me correct you:

I have put more hours into bettering the Yuba-Sutter area for LGBTs than anyone and will gladly match what I have done up against anyone else. Whenever anyone finally does surpass what I’ve accomplished there then great! I started the first visible LGBT group there in 2003 and after leaving the area in 2008 it disbanded and there was no LGBT visibility for 3 years.

Harmony Health Resource Center, Get Equal, and a coalition of mental health workers all tried to start some type of LGBT group while I was gone. They were all funded and none of them accomplished anything near what I had accomplished with the previous LGBT group which I did un-funded. They had no media presences, no web presence, and I was still getting calls from people seeking LGBT community because all they could find online was an archive of the previous group.

I returned to Y-S in 2011 solely to restart another visible LGBT group there and that’s what I did.

While I was there in 2011 here’s what I did in 6 months:

1) recruited about 50 volunteers

2) found a team of leadership who got papers filed to attain nonprofit status

3) networked with local LGBT groups in Sacramento and Chico

4) networked with ally groups in Y-S including a connection that could result in the donation of a location as a center or office

5) found a meeting location and organized 3 well attended socials

6) made a few hundred calls to local LGBTs and allies to try to get them involved

7) made a 2 hour documentary (Rainbow Above The Buttes) documentary about the local LGBT community

8) made 2 videos promoting the local LGBT group

9) developed the entire social media presence for the group

10) confronted state Senator Doug LaMalfa and County Supervisor James Gallagher when they were out collecting signatures to repeal LGBT history bill SB48 (no one would go with me)

11) handed out an LGBT voter guide questionnaire to the local Congressional candidates

12) led the effort of local LGBTs confronting Westboro Baptist Church when they visited

13) led the rally to celebrate when the courts recently shot down Prop 8 and got local media coverage

14) got local media coverage the day DADT ended and went to the Beale Air Force base entrance and waved the rainbow flag and held a sign reading “Welcome Out Troops”

15) attended the Veteran’s Day parade holding a sign reading “Good riddance don’t ask, don’t tell, welcome out troops”

16) wrote a few letters to the editors about the local LGBT community that were published in the local paper

17) exposed the anti-LGBT content of local papers The Appeal Democrat, The Ambassador and The Territorial Dispatch though our email list and encouraged locals to write letters countering the ant-LGBT content

18) interviewed on my YouTube channel the editor of The Appeal Democrat and called him out for publishing anti-LGBT content in a way he agreed he would likely not publish if it were racist content

19) Disrupted a visit to a local anti-LGBT church by Brad Dacus (known for comparing stopping marriage equality to stopping Hitler) and provoked Dacus to apologize for the comment

20) Attended a Tea Party congressional candidates debate and got the local Republican candidates on the record on LGBT issues

21) Notified the local LGBTs via the email list of the deadline to register to vote and election day

22) Confronted the anti-LGBT Sutter County supervisors as you see in this video

23) Confronted the top 8 major Yes on 8 donors in Y-S and also Prop 8 supporter Professor Brian Jukes of Yuba College

And since I left the area in February I:

24) Attended a health board meeting in WeHo and started looking into the connection between LGBTs nonprofits in places like WeHo and whether or not they are serving people feeling from areas like Y-S

25) got The Territorial Dispatch to agree to publish a pro-LGBT commentary

26) got Y-S blog The Nor-Cal paper to post my vids of the local congressional candidates positions on LGBT issues

27) Had a great email chat about equality with the wife of one of the local Republican congressional candidates

28) Released a video and email notifying Y-S LGBTs that pro-equality Democrat congressional candidate John Garamendi defeated all Republicans in the primary election on June - thus making him the first openly pro-equality candidate to win an election in the area – though he now has to move on to the top 2 general election.

29) Got the video of me confronting the anti-LGBT Sutter County supervisors on a major blog

WHAT A FUCKING AWFUL PERSON I AM RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT?

I repeat.

WHAT A FUCKING AWFUL PERSON I AM RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT?

If that’s not gay good enough for ya’ll then I’m sure you’ll do a good job of repelling potential volunteers.

Regarding your slander “he has tried to take down a local gay support group in Yuba City because they were using a name he came up with,” let me clear it up for you:

First, the group had not attained any profit while I was there. We were band new and had only gotten a few hundred dollars.

Because so many LGBTs in Y-S always have excuses for not getting involved due to their fear or apathy, the only Board I could develop was a male couple, a straight ally mom of a transgender teen, and a straight ally lady. Not exactly a very diverse leadership team. They were a great team of volunteers but they were consistently closed minded about ideas for advancing the group. They were excessively worried about pissing off the anti-LGBTs and extremely paranoid about how the group was perceived.

Despite me having created the first LGBT group back in 2003, being a chapter leader for EQCA, and having worked on the NO on 8 campaign, and then starting the very group they were participating in, they acted like I had not f’n clue what I was doing and were often condensing and resistant.

When I created the previous group, without nonprofit status, I still got 30 local business to donate to pay for newsletters and postage; organized events nearly every moth for 5 years, got tons of media attention including front page coverage; organized several large-scale events including Yuba-Sutter Pride Day 2004, the Brokeback Mountain debut in that area, and several other large-scale events for local LGBTs. I did it all AND pissed off the local anti-LGBTs by confronting them about their oppression of us.

So don’t act like I don’t know what the fk I am doing.

As we see with Get Equal, if you fail to show brave leadership as groups like HRC and EQCA have done, groups like Get Equal will pop up and leave behind those who are excessively paranoid about being PR-friendly and non-threatening to anti-LGBTs who do not like us anyway.

Regarding my request for payment, I suggest you look at http://www.lgbtcenters.org/careers.aspx and you will see it is common for LGBTs to hire staff that is beyond what the Board can do with their limited time and also beyond what volunteers can do.

The work I did was well above and beyond what a normal volunteer would do. So I am absolutely un-apologetic for asking to be funded to do the work I was doing. What’s more, I was networking with potential fiscal sponsors to enable us to immediately get tax-deductible donations while we awaited approval from the IRS for nonprofit status. What’s more I explained I would fundraise the expense of my salary.

Next, as I told the Board from the start, my plan was to turn the group into a nationwide group serving LGBTs in rural, suburb, small town areas that do not have access to the types of resources in areas like WeHo and the Castro and even Sacramento. I also shared with them I was leaving the area to pursue my goals of developing my talk show in which I was interviewing celebs. I offered to use the celeb connections I was making to make PSAs and score donations like we see with the NO H8 and FKH8 campaigns.

Instead, they rejected those ideas. They wanted the group so stay local.

So those geniuses on the Board figured that in the Y-S area where the economy has been awful for decades before the nationwide economic downturn they would somehow rely on local donations and grants in a time when many nonprofits are struggling. A lot of LGBTs in that area are unemployed, under-employed, working jobs with hours hindering their ability to get involved, or on social security or welfare. Considering all of that and how it is a predominately Yes on 8 area even after the recent redistricting, how do you expect to raise funds to sustain an LGBT nonprofit there without going outside the region?

What’s more they Board began to try to censor and limit ideas even proposing a bylaw to forbid a topic from being re-addressed until 6 months. How Republican-like.

I resigned from the Board and moved on. I asked them to drop the name I created in exchange for the resources I brought with me starting the group. I wanted to keep the name of the envisioned nationwide group. They declined.

So they want the group to stay local and to hell with other LGBTs in rural, small town, suburb areas? And they want to reject the chance to get donations and celeb involvement. And they don’t think someone who put that much work into the goals of bettering the region for LGBT locals is worth funding.

Well good luck with that.

So Salvador you frankly do not know what the fk you’re writing about.

Same goes for you Kaylee.

What’s more, my efforts to better the LGBT community there in Y-S are well documented on in news paper stories and videos online.

I understand there a lot of LGBTs in Y-S who don’t like me. That’s ok. I understand they project their anger and fears on me. I get that.

My goal however is not to be liked. My goal is to get things done and be authentic to myself.

Lastly, Salvador: essentially what you’re conveying is that if someone is not an LGBT person the way you approve of them to be then they are unworthy. Only LGBTs who act and organize and do activism like you are right and the rest are wrong.

Well I got news for you. Progress comes from ALL types of people: the pacifists, the orderly, the anarchists, the PR friendly people, the angry yelling type, etc…

I’m guessing if someone Lisa Lampanelli ever stopped by that area you’d crap your pants.

I could care less if you like me. I will however defend myself against your slander.

I wish ya’ll the best.

PS: For all those who condemn self-promoting activists and also do not think we’re worthy of being funded, please, please, please make sure you never benefit from an LGBT group that accepts donations from self-promoters like Lady Gaga or Cyndi Lauper or Lisa Lampanelli.

Posted by: Jeff 4 Justice | Jun 14, 2012 5:56:11 PM

5) found a meeting location and organized 3 well attended socials

8) made 2 videos promoting the local LGBT group

9) developed the entire social media presence for the group

22) Confronted the anti-LGBT Sutter County supervisors as you see in this video

And since I left the area in February I:

25) got The Territorial Dispatch to agree to publish a pro-LGBT commentary

WHAT A FUCKING AWFUL PERSON I AM RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT?

I repeat.

WHAT A FUCKING AWFUL PERSON I AM RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT?

So don’t act like I don’t know what the fk I am doing.

Instead, they rejected those ideas. They wanted the group so stay local.

Well good luck with that.

So Salvador you frankly do not know what the fk you’re writing about.

Same goes for you Kaylee.

I wish ya’ll the best.

Posted by: Jeff 4 Justice | Jun 14, 2012 5:56:18 PM

16. Thank you Towle Road for sharing this.

Posted by: Jeff 4 Justice | Jun 14, 2012 6:06:34 PM

17. JEFF- you win, hands down, you have made Salvador look like a chump, wimp and ignoramus. Thanks a lot for your service.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 14, 2012 6:32:55 PM

18. Thanks UFFDA.

Unfortunately I dealt with worse when I started the previous LGBT group there. I've really taken more personal attacks from LGBTs there than from the anti-LGBTs.

Again, I understand they're projecting their fears on me.

There’s also a lot of LGBTs who self-righteously think all other LGBTs must act and behave as they to attain equality. It’s a fear-based paranoid mindset. It’s an understandable fear however.

I’ve studied LGBT groups and have interviewed LGBTI leaders on my talk show so I understand that infighting and fierce internal debate on the best ways to advance the community happens to all organizations.

Example:

Mission Drift at Gay Inc.

The funny thing is Salvador speaks of a Yuba College group (which I was not a part of since I was not a student - though I did post flyers for the group I started at the college). And as we see in the following link, the leader of the College LGBT group (the guy who was the VP of the board of the group I started) wants to get Dan Savage to speak at an event by their group.

College is a good time for coming out

So I’m a big radical scary gay activist but Dan Savage is not. Well, Savage is more handsome than me I concede LOL.

Such hypocrites.

In short, I’ll be the best activist as I see fit and may other be the best activists they can be as they see fit.

Posted by: Jeff 4 Justice | Jun 14, 2012 6:59:43 PM

19. Thanks UFFDA.

Again, I understand they're projecting their fears on me.

Example:

Mission Drift at Gay Inc.

College is a good time for coming out

Such hypocrites.

Posted by: Jeff 4 Justice | Jun 14, 2012 6:59:49 PM

20. Thanks UFFDA.

Again, I understand they're projecting their fears on me.

Example:

Mission Drift at Gay Inc.

College is a good time for coming out

Such hypocrites.

Posted by: Jeff 4 Justice | Jun 14, 2012 7:00:18 PM

21. Sorry, I do not know why the comments are duplicating.

Posted by: Jeff 4 Justice | Jun 14, 2012 7:01:26 PM

22. Hi, Jeff 4 Justice. Good show.

Posted by: dattexas | Jun 14, 2012 7:57:21 PM

23. What a great Article and Video From Jeff4Justice! We ALL want the same thing EQUAL RIGHTS!

Posted by: MaleCrystalBall | Jun 14, 2012 9:20:50 PM

24. Way to go Jeff!!! ::that was sarcasm BTW:: I know Salvador and myself aren't the only people who feel the way we do. Trust me! Just the fact that you feel a need to explain/ defend yourself, at some length by the way, shows that it struck a nerve with you because of the basis of truth behind our words. No one is denying you started a movement here in the Y-S area but maybe, just maybe people here just don't like you because they know you. Again we are speaking purely from the Y-S perspective, which I'm sure won't matter once you make it to Hollywood or even better WeHo. Living in your SUV as a "political statement" but then wanting a couch to crash on when times get tough? Okay 0_o Homeless people sleep out in the freezing cold and bare the rising temperatures. Maybe you should consider that actions like that really effected the image that you tried to create here in Y-S: that is hardly projection that's a reaction.
    Of course people in the Y-S would fear pissing people off, THINK OF WHERE YOU ARE!! So a few LGBT people piss some "straights" off someone gets hurt, or worse killed.Not gonna lie the local government sucks and of course nothing would be done. But it's all good in the name of the cause right?
    BTW posting flyers at the college? What about standing in the courtyard and spreading the message? Or was that so hard for you to do? There was A Christian hypocrite that would be there all the time spreading the "good word," which was not a student by the way, I never saw you there trying to reach the next generation.
    As for the hiring a staff BS. In my experience if someone feels passionate about what they are doing and truly follow and respect there leader the work would be put in without pay. The current LGBT group (which now has a pretty decent youth membership) has done more for the community in the past couple of months than you did for those six months that you described. And they had to start all over again once you resigned.
    In conclusion Jeff. I knew you would use this as a way to plug your propaganda on everyone here, again the fame thing. Obviously your fans are one sided and don't know the real Jeff, which is fine I get it, they can't help it. again Way to go Jeff!! again that was sarcasm, in case you couldn't tell because of your loud ego.
    And yeah maybe you did "put us in our place." But not once did we say we don't agree what your doing, we just wish you were really honest with yourself. Remember change starts within.

Posted by: Kaylee | Jun 14, 2012 10:56:52 PM

25. Way to go Jeff!!! ::that was sarcasm BTW:: I know Salvador and myself aren't the only people who feel the way we do. Trust me! Just the fact that you feel a need to explain/ defend yourself, at some length by the way, shows that it struck a nerve with you because of the basis of truth behind our words. No one is denying you started a movement here in the Y-S area but maybe, just maybe people here just don't like you because they know you. Again we are speaking purely from the Y-S perspective, which I'm sure won't matter once you make it to Hollywood or even better WeHo. Living in your SUV as a "political statement" but then wanting a couch to crash on when times get tough? Okay 0_o Homeless people sleep out in the freezing cold and bare the rising temperatures. Maybe you should consider that actions like that really effected the image that you tried to create here in Y-S: that is hardly projection that's a reaction.

Posted by: Kaylee | Jun 14, 2012 10:57:01 PM