Adam Carolla | News

Adam Carolla Justifies Anti-Gay Jokes Because 'Nice Doesn't Get Laughs': VIDEO

Carolla

Sara Gilbert asked Adam Carolla about making jokes at the expense of gay people yesterday on The Talk. Carolla seems to think it's perfectly okay, as long as he gets a laugh out of it.

Said Carolla:

“If somebody says to me, ‘What do you think of your mother-in-law,’ and I go, ‘Oh, she’s a delight, I love her dearly,’ nobody laughs. So if they say, ‘What do you think of Chaz Bono,’ I have to say something that’s horrible, so I can get a laugh. And everyone goes, 'oh, that's what you think?' Nice doesn’t get laughs, especially on stage...When did we start holding comedians up to the level of politicians and teachers? We're supposed to say these things...we make no policies. I don't control anything. I just tell jokes."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Not following us on Twitter @TLRD yet? We appreciate it when you SHARE and RT our content using the tools below.

Comments

1. If the only laughs you can get are from jokes made at the expense of others, it means you're just not funny...f*cking idiot.

Posted by: Not that Rob | Jun 20, 2012 9:05:53 AM

2. Pretty much what Not That Rob said. Good comedians know the difference and know the line and to toe it but not cross it. Adam never has, this dude is openly racist, homophobic, he's a horrible person. But he gets away with it because he's "doing his job". So if anything, I blame Americans for making this guy relevant whatsoever. Trash will be trash.

Posted by: Francis | Jun 20, 2012 9:19:49 AM

3. I agree with NotThatRob -- good comedy doesn't involve callously targeting others for cheap laughs. Furthermore, I doubt Carolla would make the same arguments regarding other, historically discriminated minorities. He's going for a cheap laugh and trying to justify abusing the LGBT community to do so.

Posted by: Mike8787 | Jun 20, 2012 9:19:51 AM

4. Not really understanding the sudden anti-Adam Carolla slant on this site. People are just reaching for a reason to hate him.

@Not That Rob: Do you feel that way about every comedian? Lisa Lampanelli?

Posted by: Luke | Jun 20, 2012 9:21:06 AM

5. I don't really have any issues with comedians poking fun at different groups. They all do it, some of it is funny, some is not. But I think people need to look at intent. A comedian saying something harsh about gays is completely different from a politician doing it. We should be going after real bigots, not pretend ones. Every time we go after someone like Adam Carolla who was clearly joking around, we look like a bunch of uptight winy bitches.

Posted by: intristin | Jun 20, 2012 9:22:28 AM

6. It should be noted that Carolla is a conservative republican.

Posted by: AlfonzoStLouis | Jun 20, 2012 9:26:09 AM

7. Adam Carolla was just on a very right wing radio show the other night talking about how liberals want to take all his money and speaking against Obama's policies. At one point even defending tea party folks. So this doesn't surprise me

Posted by: Stella | Jun 20, 2012 9:28:02 AM

8. There's a rule in comedy that if you're going to make fun of those different than you, you have to make fun of EVERYONE. But picking fun of just gays because u think you'll be able to get away with it while everyone else is off limits is wrong and flawed.

Posted by: Truth | Jun 20, 2012 9:29:50 AM

9. He's a republican. What do you expect?
    Ever heard his show? He's not a fan of anything or anyone who falls under the term liberal or progressive

Posted by: Lyebs | Jun 20, 2012 9:31:05 AM

10. Maybe gays would be more prone to laugh at all the jokes directed to us If we werent treated so differently in terms of freedoms, rights and legislation. Kind of hard to laugh at a straight priviliged man making money off of belittling gays when thousands of gays go unemployed in many states simply for being gay.
    Think about that one for a sec.

Posted by: Steve-ATL | Jun 20, 2012 9:33:48 AM

11. Fine. Heteros you give us the same exact benefits under the law you're granted simply for being hetro and stop spending millions to vote on our rights and we'll have a hearty laugh at how gay we are. Until then, it's a little insulting to demand we enjoy priviliged peeps getting a paycheck at out expense.

Posted by: CJ | Jun 20, 2012 9:37:13 AM

12. The fine line on this topic is often hard to discern. I think, as has been mentioned, the comedian and intent needs to be weighed. Lisa Lampanelli, was a great example, or Chealsey Handler, even Kathy Griffin and Margaret Cho do down and dirty gay jokes. Some of the best comedy is off colored and mean. Not everyones sense of humor is the same and sometimes we need to relax and be able to laugh at ourselves and our discomfort as easily we laugh at others.

THAT said, just because someone is a comedian doesn't mean what they are saying is funny, or even, (think Tracy Morgan's rant against gays) a joke. Comedians in my opinion do get cut some slack because making jokes is what they are doing and that's often on the edge of the acceptable, but just because you happen to be on stage and ARE a comedian doesn't mean you can say whatever you want, in whatever context and be able to blame it on comedy. Good comedy is smart comedy, not "only" fart jokes aimed at certain groups or characteristics.

Most people are smart enough to be able to tell the difference.

Posted by: Michaelandfred | Jun 20, 2012 9:41:03 AM

13. Would he find the jokes acceptable to use if he replaced Gay with Black and Fag with the N word? Probably not, or at least he would know that he could not get away with the joke. It is fine to make jokes, and sometimes our community lacks a sense of humour about ourselves, but the joke does actually have to be funny and not mean spirited or bigoted.
    This guy actually lacks the required smarts to be truly funny, so his humour has not progressed past the level of school yard bully.

Posted by: Swiminbuff | Jun 20, 2012 9:45:43 AM

14. It's sad how so many in this community are just dying for a reason to be offended. And you're just reacting to headlines, you've never heard any of his work.

Keep spinning those headlines, people.

Posted by: Luke | Jun 20, 2012 9:46:43 AM

15. He's a hasbeen who is insanely jealous of the success of his former sidekick Jimmy Kimmell. Carolla is trying to remain relevant and is grasping at any controversy. I remember him from his days on radio - baiting gay guests and callers.

Posted by: niles | Jun 20, 2012 9:54:10 AM

16. I have never liked Adam Carolla and have never found him funny. I still think that Bill Cosby and others have proven you don't need to be hateful to be funny. What Mr. Carolla plays to is that teenage/frat boy caustic humor and I am sorry, but I outgrew that decades ago.

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | Jun 20, 2012 10:03:18 AM

17. Never heard of him. I'll keep it that way. I've heard the name Jimmie Kimmel but couldn't pull him out of a crowd. Bill Cosby I know.

Posted by: MarkUs | Jun 20, 2012 10:13:26 AM

18. And the lesbian gives him a pass w/a smile. Shameful.

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Jun 20, 2012 10:17:52 AM

19. The difference between Adam and other comedians is that he's not funny.

Posted by: Jack M | Jun 20, 2012 10:35:25 AM

20. Right Niles! However, he can not really be called a has been, for the simple reason that he never was!

Posted by: Mike | Jun 20, 2012 10:39:43 AM

21. Quite telling how the lot of you jump directly to attacking his character.

Posted by: Luke | Jun 20, 2012 10:52:14 AM

22. Adam Carolla gets laughs? I hadn't realized.

Posted by: James in Hollywood | Jun 20, 2012 10:54:19 AM

23. Swiminbuff is right: if blacks could not be inserted as the target for his jokes, it's over the line.

Posted by: Jack | Jun 20, 2012 11:07:49 AM

24. The list of well-known comedians who have NOT resorted to minority baiting to get laughs is long and honorable. If Corolla can't find any way to "entertain" other than that, it's evidence of how pathetically limited (untalented?) he is as a performer.

Posted by: jomicur | Jun 20, 2012 11:11:08 AM

25. "The fine line on this topic is often hard to discern. I think, as has been mentioned, the comedian and intent needs to be weighed. Lisa Lampanelli, was a great example, or Chealsey Handler, even Kathy Griffin and Margaret Cho do down and dirty gay jokes. Some of the best comedy is off colored and mean"

"THAT said, just because someone is a comedian doesn't mean what they are saying is funny, or even, (think Tracy Morgan's rant against gays) a joke"

@MICHAELANDFRED I agree with most of what you said in your comment and I agree generally with others who have said that intent is the key to deciding whether the joke is "OK" or not.

However, I cannot help but note that the 4 examples you gave of "positive intent" were all women.....and the 2 examples you gave of "negative intent" (assuming you are including Corolla) were both men.

Much as I would like to be a coincidence, my gut tells me that it is not and that a lot of the sensitivity being displayed here has to do with gay men feeling inferior to straight men or being generally hostile to straight men......while they feel some kind of imaginary "bond" with women, by sharp contrast....and are therefore willing to give women a pass for saying things that they would find offensive if a man said them--and assume that the woman had positive intent and the man had negative intent.

Gay men are, at some point, going to have to stop thinking of women as "good" and straight men as "bad" if they want to really progress.

The whole "diva" phenomenon is based on the same mindset....

Posted by: Rick | Jun 20, 2012 11:36:43 AM