American Idol | Gay Marriage | Gay Marriage Quotes | London | Music | Religion

Carrie Underwood Comes Out For Marriage Equality

In a move doomed to alienate a signiicant hunk of her fanbase, Carrie Underwood has revealed to the Independent that she is a strong believer in marriage equality:

"As a married person myself, I don't know what it's like to be told I can't marry somebody I love, and want to marry," she said. "I can't imagine how that must feel. I definitely think we should all have the right to love, and love publicly, the people that we want to love."

UnderwoodMs. Underwood was speaking to the British newspaper in preparation for her first-ever concert in the UK, which shall be held at the Royal Albert Hall later this month. (Incidentally, Underwood isn't the first American country star to visit London and make statements which might annoy her red-state fanbase. It was there that the Dixie Chicks' Natalie Maines famously voiced her unhappiness about the United States' rush to war in Iraq.)

From the Independent:

Underwood ... draws much of her fanbase from evangelical Christians, speaks frequently about her faith and has made religion the subject of several of her best-known songs, including the No 1 country hit "Jesus Take the Wheel".

She said, however, that her liberal attitude towards same-sex marriage comes because of her Christian values, rather than in spite of them. Though raised a Baptist, a church that tends to oppose homosexuality, Underwood and her husband Mike Fisher, a professional ice-hockey player, now worship in a non-denominational congregation.

"Our church is gay friendly," she said. "Above all, God wanted us to love others. It's not about setting rules, or [saying] 'everyone has to be like me'. No. We're all different. That's what makes us special. We have to love each other and get on with each other. It's not up to me to judge anybody."

Underwood, 29, swept to fame in 2005 after winning American Idol and has since drawn much of her estimated $20m (£13m) annual income from touring the US. In the interview, she condemned "people who use the Bible for hate", adding: "That's not how I would want myself as a Christian to be represented."

Underwood's new album, Blown Away, and her single, "Good Girl," currently occupy the top spots on the Billboard country charts.

Comments

1. Right on, Carrie! Check out this Marriage Equality Country Anthem. http://www.townandcountryband.com/

Posted by: Town & Country | Jun 10, 2012 9:36:13 PM

2. Awesome! And I doubt this will severely impact her sales. In any case, she took a stand on principle and deserves so much praise.

Posted by: Francis | Jun 10, 2012 9:42:57 PM

3. You can't really compare the statements made by the Dixie Chicks with anyone expressing support for gay rights. In a post-9/11 USA, being anti-patriotic is an unpardonable sin. Although I firmly believe that speaking one's mind is the essence of patriotism, the majority of our nation feels otherwise.

Plenty of other country stars have made public statements supporting gay rights. Toby Keith is the current king of pro-USA patriotic song writers and he supported the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell. Being pro-equality does not cause controversy like it did in the past.

Posted by: alex | Jun 11, 2012 1:01:14 AM

4. Thank you Carrie! There is hope in this world, after all!

Posted by: Josh | Jun 11, 2012 9:58:01 AM

5. IF Carrie Underwood NOW WORSHIPS IN A NON-DENOMINATIONAL CHURCH, MAYBE, HER ANNUAL SALARY OF TWENTY MILLION HAS CAUSED HER TO FORGET HER Baptist TEACHINGS. Ms. Underwood SHOULD SUFFER A "BACKLASH" IN THE COUNTRY-MUSIC COMMUNITY. TRADITIONAL-COUNTRY MUSIC IS BASED ON WHOLESOME LIVING - NOT, MODERN IDEOLOGIES.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jun 12, 2012 8:15:02 AM

6. IT IS FUNNY HOW IN STORIES LIKE THIS, Towleroad READERS SEEM TO ACKNOWLEDGE THE FACT THAT PEOPLE IN AMERICA'S "HEARTLAND" DO NOT SUPPORT "gay" MARRIAGE. EVERYONE SEEMS TO BE WORRIED ABOUT THE IMPACT ON Carrie Underwood's CAREER. Ms. Underwood HAS PROBABLY DECIDED TO "VENTURE-OUT" INTO COMMERCIAL-POP MUSIC. IN MEMPHIS, Ms. Underwood's - AS WELL AS, "Dixie Chicks'" MUSIC - IS HEARD MORE OFTEN ON POP RADIO THAN COUNTRY RADIO.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jun 12, 2012 8:29:22 AM

7. __^__^__^__^__^__^__^

"moron", - ALERT.

DEEPERSTILL

Posted by: DeeperStill | Jun 14, 2012 2:36:46 AM

8. "DEEPERSTILL,"

"Moron" IS NOT NECESSARY. THIS IS A GENERATIONAL ISSUE. MORE ESTABLISHED - AND, ADORED - COUNTRY ARTISTS LIKE, George Strait AND Patty Loveless ARE NOT SUPPORTING "gay" MARRIAGE BECAUSE IT OPPOSES THE MESSAGE IN THEIR MUSIC. PERSONALLY, SOME ESTABLISHED-COUNTRY ARTISTS MAY NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH HOMOSEXUALITY, BUT ADMISSION WOULD GREATLY TARNISH THEIR IMAGE.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jun 19, 2012 9:25:00 PM

9. I believe that GOD said woman and man. Not woman and woman or man and man. I oppose Gay Days @ Disney World. I would not want for my son or Daughter to believe that that is okay. However in saying this, If my Son chose to be gay and maintain a gay appearence with another,I would be ok with that because he is my son. This is a touchy subject, but we as americans should turn back to the Lord and read the GoodBook and Trust and Obey in Jesus the Father,the Son and the Holy Ghost. we all are not perfect, we are Human,we shall stumble and fall,but with my faith I believe that all is possible through Jesus Christ our Savior and Lord.I give Carrie prompts for being Bold and Beautiful at the same time.

Posted by: ghostwriter | Jun 20, 2012 7:50:22 AM