Coldplay | News | Rihanna

Coldplay's 'Princess of China' Video: WATCH

Rihanna_coldplay

Chris Martin has an intimate confrontation with Rihanna in Coldplay's rather stunning new 'Princess of China' video, which dropped quietly over the weekend.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Love this song! Two of a couple of my favorite artists is win/win for me! Chris Martin looks especially hot in this video for some reason.

Posted by: Nat | Jun 4, 2012 8:11:35 AM

2. Count the cliches.

Posted by: stranded | Jun 4, 2012 8:40:56 AM

3. Everyone's a lil bit lacist, especially this video!

Posted by: NPH-DHP | Jun 4, 2012 8:54:46 AM

4. Samurai sword. Eyeroll.

'In another secondhand embarrassment-inducing attempt to uphold his authority as a Spanish teacher, Schue dons "authentic Spanish matador" garb for a bilingual Elvis performance. Things reach a new low when he brings out Mike and Brittany as his bulls, and the only good thing about the number is that it prompts Santana to finally challenge his qualifications. "Why don't you dress up as the Taco Bell chihuahua and bark the theme song to Dora the Explorer? You don't even know enough to be embarrassed about these stereotypes that you're perpetuating," she says...'

Posted by: luminum | Jun 4, 2012 9:14:52 AM

5. Someone needs to spend more time in world history.

The ninja costumes are feudal Japan.

The many-armed goddesses are typically Hindu deities from India.

I do like the song though. It's the only track on Mylo Xyloto I like.

Posted by: endo | Jun 4, 2012 9:34:23 AM

6. Indeed, stupid clichés.

Japanese clothing, head gear, Japanese katana...

How stupid do you have to be? I mean, even if they had taken the Chinese equivalents of those, it would still be clichés. But at least it would be accurate.

That's like having a video clip about the USA featuring the Carnival of Rio, moose hunting and maya symbols.

Posted by: Dr Mortimer | Jun 4, 2012 9:52:18 AM

7. Underwhelming.

Posted by: DiCKster | Jun 4, 2012 11:48:40 AM

8. People....it's a MUSIC video, not a documentary from the History Channel!!

Posted by: Greg | Jun 4, 2012 12:41:53 PM

9. I dunno I can't look at Rihanna anymore without thinking "complete junkie train wreck/abuse victim going back for seconds".

Posted by: Alex | Jun 4, 2012 12:45:26 PM

10. I don't understand why music videos are beyond accurate representations of culture.

Greg, you're the reason why Americans remain so stupid.

Posted by: endo | Jun 4, 2012 12:59:12 PM

11. @ Endo WOW...so mean spirited a comment

Music videos COULD be made to be accurate representations of other cultures in a more perfect world, but in reality they're made to entertain not educate.
    I noticed the cultural inaccuracies, as did many if the commentators before me, but I don't expect to gain my knowledge of other cultures from watching music videos and was not horribly offended by how loose they played with cultures and history.

p.s. Why on earth do you think I am American?

Posted by: Greg | Jun 4, 2012 1:39:36 PM

12. So does this count as yellow-face? Cuz Rihanna aint Asian.

Posted by: ror | Jun 4, 2012 1:56:11 PM

13. FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Alan | Jun 4, 2012 5:40:20 PM

14. not sure how i feel w/ the princess of china not being chinese.

Posted by: billion | Jun 4, 2012 6:35:54 PM

15. let's hear what the chinese, japanese and thais have to say. i'm not any of them, but i'm asian, and i'm offended by the fact that they missed the beauty of divergence of different asian cultures and simply lumped them together as "chinese." it's been decades since the west in general have done this, despite the so-called "world integration."

Posted by: simplet0n | Jun 5, 2012 1:55:53 AM

16. This is embarrassing. I like Rihanna and I like Coldplay, but this video... wow.

Posted by: stingo | Jun 5, 2012 6:01:08 AM

17. Y'all are haters, I thought it was cute. It's just a music video.

Posted by: Jay | Jun 7, 2012 1:30:04 AM

18. Some parts of this video to classics such as crouching tiger, hidden dragon among others. While some things in this video might not be "culturally correct".. You have no choice but to admire the beauty of this video.

And so what Rihanna isn't Asian, more specifically Chinese.. When Gong Li played Hatsumomo in memoirs of a geisha, she played a Japanese woman. Angelina Jolie has played a black woman and there are countless other examples that race doesn't matter for the part you're playing.

Besides, its a music video. Enjoy it, stop judging it.

Posted by: taidenise | Aug 16, 2012 10:56:05 AM