Crime | News | Washington DC

DC Stabbing Being Called Hate Crime

HowardTheatrePolice in Washington DC are treating a Tuesday night stabbing as a hate crime.

According to the Washington Blade, two men and one woman were arrested after allegedly stabbing a 16-year old man outside the District's Howard Theatre while shouting anti-gay slurs.

A police arrest affidavit filed in D.C. Superior Court says a witness reported seeing Ali Jackson stab the victim in the left bicep, lower back, and left leg after Campbell grabbed the victim from behind and held him in a “headlock.” The affidavit says Alvonica Jackson assisted [Desmond] Campbell in holding the victim against his will as the stabbing took place.

While the three defendants approached the victim, Ali Jackson “made several homophobic slurs directed at the [victim],” the affidavit says.

The victim “produced a can of pepper spray and sprayed all three defendants, who fled the location after being sprayed,” the affidavit reports the witnesses as saying.

The unidentified victim was treated and released from Howard University hospital. The accused stabbers face a court hearing tomorrow.

Comments

1. For all you guys talking all this mess about black homophobia of which you know little about,I live with it every day I'm a black gay man with a black family who lives around black people.I have to tell you coming to this blog and others makes me fell like I'm being bash for being black.

Posted by: James | Jun 28, 2012 11:01:31 PM

2. Christoper Allen Horton,
    Thanks for proving all these comments right with your presence on this site. I too was passionate about the history of the civil rights movement of blacks, but quite honestly? I and many people I know lost interest and empathy for that upon being exposed to the Christopher Allen Horton's of this society and that population. The idea of sitting and hearing about your adveristy all while you spew uneducated ignorance in the next breath gets really old- quick for most people, and judging by these comments, the gay community is finally waking up to some realities.

Posted by: Greg-Cali | Jun 28, 2012 11:09:10 PM

3. I POSTED A COMMENT ABOUT Matthew Shepherd AND Tyler Clementi BEING RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR PROBLEMS. NOW, I CAN NOT FIND IT. IT WAS A REPLY TO "MICHELLE'S" COMMENTS.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jun 28, 2012 11:15:55 PM

4. "OBSERVER,"

I AM NOT Alvonica Jackson's DEFENDER; BUT, WHY ARE CAUCASIAN Towleroaders SO NOSY? IF I READ SOMETHING ABOUT SOMEONE IN GENERAL, I HAVE NO NEED TO GO TO THEIR Facebook PAGE, OR, Google HER/HIS NAME.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jun 28, 2012 11:20:52 PM

5. "MJ,"

I AM GLAD YOU GREW A SPINE. I STAND BY MY "SUICIDE" COMMENT. I DO NOT TYPE WORDS I DO NOT MEAN. NEGRO-HOMOSEXUAL CHILDREN ARE NOT COMMITTING SUICIDE IN NUMBERS.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jun 28, 2012 11:29:19 PM

6. "TRUTH HURTS,"

SINCE I STARTED PARTICIPATING ON THIS SITE IN FEBRUARY, I HAVE NOTICED MANY Towleroaders SEEM TO THINK PEOPLE WHO MAKE POSTS WANT THEIR VIEWS TO BE RESPECTED. THE POINT OF POSTING IS TO PROVIDE Y-O-U-R VIEW ON A TOPIC. I HAVE NEVER CARED WHAT OTHERS THINK OF MY VIEWS.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jun 28, 2012 11:34:54 PM

7. THANK YOU, "JAMES!" (28 JUNE; 11:01:31 PM)

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jun 28, 2012 11:38:28 PM

8. DC is not a hugely homophobic city, so you can stop right there. It's got problems with the angry urban crowd, but things are changing. The city is massively liberal. I've only heard 1 or 2 anti-gay things since living here and I've been here 3 years. I heard way more back in my home state of Indiana.

Posted by: reality | Jun 28, 2012 11:45:56 PM

9. "REALITY,"

THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS. NEGROES IN THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA WOULD APPRECIATE THEM.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jun 29, 2012 12:17:10 AM

10. If you live down here in Texas it's almost impossible to get the police to admit anything is a hate crime. They will do everything they can to stop it being called a hate crime because once it is officially called a hate crime the Feds move in and take over the case. The right wingers down here in charge of the police don't want the Feds involved and don't want to help the gay victims so having hate crimes laws do not help us. There has to be something else in the law that states HOW a hate crime is officially recognized as being a hate crime. We can't trust the cops and officials down here to be honest about it so we need laws to MAKE them behave.

Posted by: Icebloo | Jun 29, 2012 12:24:32 AM

11. IF NEGRO HOMOSEXUALS HAD A POPULAR-NATIONAL BLOG, I WONDER HOW MANY CAUCASIAN HOMOSEXUALS WOULD COME ON SITE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THEIR ISSUES NOT BEING REPRESENTED. YES - Towleroad IS ALMOST THE "ONLY GAME IN TOWN." AND, CAUCASIAN Towleroaders ARE QUITE "SMUG" ABOUT IT. AS SOMEONE ELSE IN THIS THREAD STATED, "I AM THE RESIDENT 'BLACK' ON THIS SITE." WHAT DOES THAT SAY ABOUT THIS SITE'S DIVERSITY? [After all, many Towleroaders are "obsessed" with a reputation of supporting diversity].

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jun 29, 2012 12:27:57 AM

12. Christopher Allen Horton

You are a Nigg-r. You will never be anything more than a N-igger. Be prepared to be seen as the Nigg-r you are. And few of our gay children may take their own lives but atleast they are not polluting this earth by selling drugs, commiting horrible crimes, taking up the entire county prison population and taking HAND OUT money from hard working people because they are so lazy and ghetto, they can't work for a living. Put the crack pipe down 'home boy' and accept that yout people come with so many problems that even you yourselves realized you can't tackle them, and in a calculating way, try to deflect from them by pointing the finger ateveryone else. Turn that black finger around and know much of societies problems come from Y-O-U and don't let any politically correct fool tell you otherwise.

Posted by: Alex-TheSand | Jun 29, 2012 12:31:44 AM

13. Alex thesand,
    Damn! You just gave Christopher Allen Horseshet a verbal smack down. You go boy!

Posted by: JustDoingkicks | Jun 29, 2012 12:33:25 AM

14. The problem is, homophobia by black men is celebrated. Especially young black men. They pride themselves in how homophobic they can be. And there's no one correcting them on their ignorance.

Posted by: AllenANDCarlos | Jun 29, 2012 12:37:32 AM

15. @ Allen and Carlos,

You two guys nailed it, as usual with yout comments on here. I do truly feel if the black community wanted to confront their homophobia, especially by young black males, they could resolve it. Clearly they don't care to. How many stories of gay bashings in urban area do we have to read until someone stops ignoring an epidemic?

Posted by: MJ | Jun 29, 2012 12:40:01 AM

16. I'm going out on a limb here to say almost all these comments are written by the same person. Not the guy who writes in all caps all the time, I've seen him before, but for this story, almost all the commenters are new, they write in the same style, making roughly the same points, mostly about the "elephant in the room". And all the comments are roughly the same length.

Posted by: Brian | Jun 29, 2012 12:51:51 AM

17. @ Brian. I can vouch for myself, but certainly do NOT make double posts with different handles. Have been posting fair, and rational points on towleroad as Dynex for four year and stand by them. I think it's cowardly to need to create another handle to reaffirm your post.

Homophobia within the black community is something I feel is often overlooked and it's fatal to do so. I stand by that.

Posted by: Dynex | Jun 29, 2012 1:00:24 AM

18. Brian- I haven't contributed and I do think that LGBT have been exposed to so much various levels of disdain by African Americans that many seem fed up with it, and comments not only on this site but many different gay blogs seem to reflect that feeling. Telling people to not see what they are seeing with their own eyes does not make something go away. I do hope the two communities can have an indepth conversation about this matter and put aside ignorance and resent.

Posted by: USC Trojan Fan | Jun 29, 2012 1:02:43 AM

19. Ghetto hood rats being ghetto hood rats. And now we have to pay for these trash to be in jail! Wish their moms would have an abortion before they were born but that would require the mom knowing who the father was.

Posted by: M | Jun 29, 2012 1:04:43 AM

20. I'm pretty shy around this kind of topic ever since I ran my mouth off right after Prop 8 passed and word went falsely out that blacks who joyfully voted for the nation's first black president also cynically voted to strip away my civil rights. I had some choice words that I quickly came to regret.

But I just wanted to drop in here to tell Christopher Allen Horton that I don't view him as a man of color interloper on a white gay blog ... but as an astoundingly rude internet troll who posts in all caps, in contravention of all that's considered polite on every blog, website and internet anything in cyberspace. Mister, it's going to be really hard to get past the fact that you come in here with such rudeness from the get-go. Why don't you knock that off, and maybe some of us would actually read what you have to say?

Posted by: Zlick | Jun 29, 2012 1:20:58 AM

21. @Zlick: Well said, he is one of the very few commenters here that I simply can't read or understand, and when he gets going it ruins the thread.

And it looks like I may have to retract my earlier statement, as it seems like at least some of these commenters are real. It was just an odd experience to read dozens of comments making the same point with virtually no opposition, when usually racial stuff starts very heated debates.

I will say that I don't really understand the point almost all of you are making. You're saying first that nobody wants to talk about it, but African Americans are homophobic. Well, if you scroll through the comments, you'll see that virtually everyone wants to talk about it, so it's hardly an elephant in the room. In fact, if you scroll through most threads, even if the story has no connection to race, commenters will bring up the "blacks are homophobes" meme. I think we need much less of this, not much more.

And I don't understand the solution you're proposing. All this "this has to stop now" crap, are we just going to start bashing people of color because they may be homophobes? I'm sure you're not advocating better outreach programs, because leaving these kinds of comments do nothing to help build bridges between communities. And if you're just trying to incite hate against African Americans because a tiny fraction commit violence against gays, that's just stupid. If you want to get violent, why not attack perpetrators of anti gay violence regardless of color? That would seem much more efficient, and much less racist.

Posted by: Brian | Jun 29, 2012 1:38:52 AM

22. A gay child was stabbed nearly to death for walking on a street, and as witnesses report, was approached by these monsters and called anti gay slurs repeatedly before being pinned down and stabbed multiple times (all while still being called anti gay slurs)

WHERE IS THE MEDIA OUTRAGE? Where is the protests? rallies? cries for backlash? Al Sharpton making press releases against this? Where's the discussion about homophobia?

A child was approached and attacked for being gay by an ignorant mob. Why is HIS story not being told like another recent story of another minority child? Because this young boy managed to run away before being killed? or because he's not part of the appropriate minority group to attain attention over?

Something to really consider.

Posted by: Art Smith | Jun 29, 2012 1:54:01 AM

23. @ ART Smith: My first exact thoughts. Where's the media exposure about this story? If the roles were reversed and this young gay kid approached Alvonica Jackson screaming the N word while his friends stabbed her while screaming that word: the President would stop current programing and make a speech about it.

I'm truly sick and tired of our people being pushed to the sidelines and told everyone else comes before us, even amidst a time we face great discrimination.

Posted by: LipstickBunny | Jun 29, 2012 1:56:48 AM

24. I think we should be encouraging ALL local news affiliates and CNN/MSNBC to cover this tragic story. I read the authorities said it was a heinous crime. It deserves far more attention than it is recieving. I hope someone who stumbles across this story sheds the light about it on various media outlets.

Posted by: Dynex | Jun 29, 2012 1:59:04 AM

25. "I'm going out on a limb here to say almost all these comments are written by the same person."

@Brian: I was thinking exactly that just before I arrived at your comment.
    There are some comments on the issue that a regular Towleroad reader can recognize as sincere and from "real" posters, but a large portion of this back-and-forth conversation between a dozen anonymous "commenters" could just as easily be someone like Brian Brown or Maggie Gallagher pretending to simultaneously be angry black people and angry gay people (and then sitting back and hoping that they've driven enough of a wedge to let real people take over with real anger).
    Internal memos from NOM were leaked that revealed that NOM had established a goal of trying to figure out ways to turn gay people and black people into enemies.
    I hope the "real" people here are savvy enough to keep a level head and remember that this is the internet.

Posted by: GregV | Jun 29, 2012 2:04:24 AM