Dharun Ravi | News | Tyler Clementi

Dharun Ravi to Appeal Conviction in Tyler Clementi Case

Dharun Ravi's attorney's have filed a notice of intent to appeal his conviction in the Rutgers webcam case involving Tyler Clementi, the Star-Ledger reports:

RaviThe notice, filed June 4 with the appellate court, lists the proposed issues to be raised, including that the bias intimidation statute is unconstitutional as applied to Ravi and that several decisions by Superior Court Judge Glenn Berman, who presided over the trial earlier this year, "prejudiced the defendant's ability to get a fair trial."

The appeal process could take upwards of two years before a three-judge panel hears the appeal. Ravi is currently serving a 30-day sentence in the Middlesex County jail.

Warden Edmond Cicchi of the county jail said last month that inmates at the jail are automatically awarded 10 days for good behavior, which would place Ravi's release date at sometime next week, since he began his sentence May 31.

Comments

1. Of course he wants a completely clean record so it's as if nothing ever happened - a clean conscience, if you will.

I sincerely hope the malicious sociopath doesn't get the luxury, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Posted by: Leo | Jun 11, 2012 5:48:00 PM

2. Scumbag. Good guys like Tyler always finish last.

Posted by: Molc | Jun 11, 2012 5:49:13 PM

3. This is why he should have gotten way more time for the crimes he committed. He is not repentant and has learned nothing. He thinks he can buy his way into doing whatever he wants, and he needs a hard lesson. Since the criminal verdict is done and was way too lenient, I hope Tyler's parents sue him or that he gets deported.

Posted by: GraphicJack | Jun 11, 2012 5:53:51 PM

4. Time now for political pressure to get this guy deported. I believe that's what the appeal is really about anyway.

Posted by: antb | Jun 11, 2012 5:55:58 PM

5. It's too bad Tyler wasn't awarded time off for good behavior.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Jun 11, 2012 5:58:49 PM

6. Let this guy out. His sentencing was a joke to begin with. The Judge had no intention of holding the man accountable for his part in the death of Tyler Clementi. I love that "automatic 10-day" award off his 30-day sentence. The guy is on a field trip and basking in his celebrity. We can expect to see him on a gaggle of Fox shows and of course he'll write a riveting tell-all and end up a wealthy little punk.

How sad is our world when we can figuratively bully, humiliate, degrade and belittle someone to the point of suicide? Damn sad.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Jun 11, 2012 6:00:43 PM

7. U.S. Immigration needs to deport his ass.

Posted by: Christopher di Spirito | Jun 11, 2012 6:11:13 PM

8. Appeal to take potentially two years. And I thought Dharun said he was going to take responsibility for his behavior? Guess that was another lie. He, clearly, simply couldn't care less about Tyler Clementi, the Clementi family, and the pain so many are continuing to go through regarding this entire tragic ordeal. He just doesn't care, nor does his family. He's a sick individual. Hopefully, he gets deported and I agree that a civil suit is clearly in order here.

Posted by: Francis | Jun 11, 2012 6:20:22 PM

9. Deport!

Posted by: candideinnc | Jun 11, 2012 6:33:03 PM

10. Appealing because he wants a more appropriate punishment? Great...let's give him a couple of years.

Posted by: Sean in Dallas | Jun 11, 2012 6:33:50 PM

11. He has the right to appeal. What's wrong with all of you. I understand Tyler's brother said that Tyler loved being the center of attention. Tyler got what he wanted - attention! That was his decision.

Posted by: Stella | Jun 11, 2012 7:12:39 PM

12. Has your check from Ravi cleared "Stella"?

Two years is more than enough time for Ravi to commit his next crime.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jun 11, 2012 7:53:30 PM

13. @Stella, maybe you should jump of the bridge next. Your kidding right? People are upset because yet again a gay kid is dead, Ravi had no qualms about hurting him and playing a role in is death. Now Ravi is trying to get his conviction overturned. So every step along this process that little punk has shown no remorse and is trying to shirk his role YET AGAIN!!!... And stop blaming the dead gay kid, he had issues, yes, but he will never have the chance to work them out. Ravi didn't directly kill him, but was the catalyst that set the events in motion. That is why people are pissed off. Ravi will grow up and continue to bully because NO ONE has taught him the difference between right and wrong.

Posted by: Scott mcg | Jun 11, 2012 7:56:46 PM

14. I think the problem is that no matter what the charges stated, he was being tried for Tyler Clementi's death.

If there had been a girl in that room, and not another man (and it could have happened, kids also might like to check out the first sexual experience with a shy, awkward violin playing roommate)--do you think any of this would have taken place?

Very unlikely. Because a boy wouldn't have been so ashamed at having been with a girl. Because boys aren't taught to be ashamed of being heterosexual.

And Tyler didn't absorb that feeling from someone who had been his roommate for less than a month. He arrived there with it, from growing up being told churches and politicians and who knows who else, that there was something wrong with being gay.
    The governor of NJ made a big speech about how terrible it was, and how he didn't know how those young people slept at night. Well, he ran on a platform of not allowing marriage equality in the state, and this year, when the state senate voted it in, he vetoed it the next day. It took him several weeks to let the anti-bullying legislation sit on his desk before signing it.

He appears be sleeping fine. Yet he's truly sending out a message that gay people are not quite as deserving of rights as straight people.

Jumping on this case, because there were clear villains that could be identified, is assuaging the guilt of all the people who are complicit in keeping gay people as second class citizens. They can point to this trial and claim to take it seriously--but it's like having handed kids guns and bullets for years, and then acting indignant when they pull the trigger.

To me, it would make more of a statement to say at the end that there's no point in punishing one person, when there are so many others who have created the culture in which this took place. I'm surprised no one made a case for it. The invasion of privacy issue is valid, but I don't think something like that is usually pursued by anyone other than the person whose privacy was invaded. And part of what seems so shocking about that is because until recently, there was no real technology to do it. But back when the internet and online groups were in their infancy, I can think of a number of people who no one would think were inherently evil, who could have ruined someone's marriage by spreading the word about seeing the screen name of a married man in a NJMen4Men chat room. People didn't know then that their activities could show up like that, and before they became tech savvy enough to realize, I'd heard of several ugly scenes. No one could be prosecuted, of course, but again it's a similar mind set. And I'm able to believe that Ravi wasn't homophobic, because I know kids his age that sounded like that about races, ethnicity and sexuality, yet when push came to shove, didn't really mean harm. If he had really been homophobic, he would have requested a room change. And although doing something behind a person's back isn't kind, this is not the kind of bullying that caused five other kids to commit suicide in the six week period prior to Tyler's.

I know no minds will change because of this, but I've always tried to be fair, even when it wasn't popular. I asked a number of gay kids I knew, whether they thought it was a crime, or a bias incident, and it was interesting to see that those who were out, at ease with themselves, with supportive families invariably said no. They said they'd seen enough to know the difference.

People might ask how I'd feel if it were my child, and I don't know for sure; but I have to say, it would probably not be very likely this would have been my child, not for this. As soon as I realized that my son wanted shiny red ruby slippers much more than a shiny red fire truck, I started trying to inoculate him against this happening. I saw too many young men of my generation die, and be buried in secrecy and shame, because their families didn't want anyone to know they were gay, not even in death.

If my son was going to die as a result of what he was, I'd make sure everyone knew it.

So by the time he was started college, if something like that had happened, I think it would be more likely he would have been out signing autographs. For better or worse, he's very pleased with himself.

I'm not saying that Ravi's actions were kind or smart--but I can look around at relatives and former classmates I would have considered "mean girls" at that age, and today, they are probably among the crowds howling for blood. Memories can be short.

No matter what the verdict or sentence, no one will really be happy. So maybe more good could be done by identifying all those who had a hand in the attitudes that touched off the chain of events that led to Tyler Clementi's suicide.

Naturally, there can be no question of prosecution. There aren't enough lawyers or enough jails. But letting them know they haven't escaped notice should be the first step. Then they can't make claims of "forgive me, I didn't know what I was doing." They know perfectly what they're doing, the goal is to see that everyone else does as well.

Posted by: Kathleen O'Neill | Jun 11, 2012 9:13:47 PM

15. "Stella", do you even LIVE on this planet?

Posted by: russ | Jun 11, 2012 9:15:16 PM

16. I feel it is important to point out that of all the many crimes this guy was charged with, he was not charged with anything related to the death of Clementi.

Essentially, he was charged with invasion privacy and bias crimes. The invasion privacy is a definite but the bias crimes were always nebulous. I believe that it is virtually impossible to convict someone fairly for what they might have been thinking.

I don't believe most suicides occur because of one incident.

It is important that he felt his family, especially his mother, had rejected him because of his orientation.

Posted by: MikeBoston | Jun 11, 2012 10:26:08 PM

17. Deport.Let him file an appeal with ICE.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Jun 11, 2012 11:53:53 PM

18. "Oh, you're Dharun Ravi. Aren't you...?"
    Can you imagine going through life with that? Why doesn't he just leave? I'd certainly give him a piece of my mind!

Posted by: Tallulah | Jun 12, 2012 1:08:13 AM

19. "Oh, you're Dharun Ravi. Aren't you...?"

Posted by: Tallulah | Jun 12, 2012 1:08:14 AM

20. Way to take responsibility. How predictable. He almost had me at "I'm very sorry..."

Posted by: dc | Jun 12, 2012 5:00:14 AM

21. Dharun is basically a peeping Tom.

If local police had caught him spying through the bedroom window of his nextdoor neighbor's daughter, would Ravi had gotten such a light sentence.

If Ravi had hidden a spy camera in the bedroom of some 18 year old girl, what would be his punishment?

Shouldn't Ravi be listed as a sex criminal and then deported instead of getting only 30 days?

Posted by: Continuum | Jun 12, 2012 6:58:39 AM

22. No , he should be punished for what he did (the privacy thing and if you really want to push it, the evidence stuff ) not for a situation he had no control over and that he did nof create

Posted by: aki | Jun 12, 2012 11:22:15 AM

23. Letting the invasion of privacy charge stick will open a can of worms (though some of it might be a good idea). All those nanny-cam cases of babysitters hitting kids will get tossed, along with a variety of defamation cases that will see a new light of day (this could impact journalism too). If DR had simply gone around the dorm telling everyone what TC was up to, under this prosecution he could get fined and be subject to a defamation civil charge. That would be pretty bad law. There's never been a obligation to secrecy under the law, just as there is no obligation to conspiracy. Yet, the prosecution would assert both, essentially, to make his case. Yeah, that's one headache too many.

Posted by: anon | Jun 12, 2012 12:23:11 PM

24. He got away always scot-free and still he wants to appeal? I hope the appeal's court gives him considerable jail time.

He clearly doesn't regret his actions at all. Rot in prison.

Posted by: Philip Wester | Jun 12, 2012 2:32:24 PM

25. This kid is INNOCENT!! Clementi was the SICK mind. Having sex in his dorm room, thats illegal.

Poor Ravi, got sucked in this as Clementi's parents got on his case when they found out he was gay!! Clementi's parents killed Tyler. Ravi did what 99% of us would have done, make healthy pranks on a queer kid.

Next time, ask if your room mate is gay, because if he jumps of a ravine or a bridge, you could end up in prison.

This victimization of this innocent kid(Ravi) has made me realize, Gays are trouble, stay away from them, at your work place, at your school or in your neighborhood!!

Posted by: Robin | Jun 20, 2012 12:48:13 AM