Gad Beck, Last Known Gay Jewish Survivor of the Holocaust, Dies in Berlin

Gad Beck (pictured as a child, with his sister), activist and the last known gay Jewish survivor of the Holocaust, has died in Berlin at the age of 88, the Jerusalem Post reports:

BeckPerhaps the single most important experience that shaped his life was the wartime effort to rescue his boyfriend. Beck donned a Hitler Youth uniform and entered a deportation center to free his Jewish lover Manfred Lewin, who had declined to separate himself from his family.

The Nazis would later deport the entire Lewin family to Auschwitz, where they were murdered.

Speaking about his life as a gay Jew, Beck invoked a line frequently cited about homosexuality: “God doesn’t punish for a life of love.”

Beck is survived by his partner of 35 years, Julius Laufer. Read his full obituary at the link below.

Last gay Jewish Holocaust survivor dies [jerusalem post]

Comments

1. Matt26 says

Never forgotten. Always remembered, of what kind of monsters we, people can be to one another.
    I truly hope and pray Gad is reunited with his lover Manfred, forever.

2. Caliban says

In the linked JP article Gad Beck is quoted as saying that BECAUSE he was gay he was able to connect with trusted gay non-Jews who gave him food and other supplies he was able to take back to other Jews. That’s interesting, one oppressed group (though oppressed for reasons that wouldn’t show up on a birth certificate or official papers) helping another.

3. Fahd says

He was so articulate in the documentaries I’ve watched – such a uniquely important witness to history. His decision to return to life in Germany served to demonstrate the resilience of the human spirit. I found him admirable and extraordinary.

4. Jonny says

@ John Luke – I can only guess that you will be praised in heaven and have your feet washed by angels for your benevolence. If that’s how your heaven works then any place where you are not is a more peaceful eternity for the rest of us and especially for such a dedicated, forgiving, gentle soul as Mr. Beck.

5. NaughtyLola says

@John Luke, he was always a gay Jew, so per your reasoning if he had been dead he’d have been burning in hell nearly a century ago. It seems to me that it was in fact better for him — 88 years better — to have lived his life as a gay Jew than be dead. Yes?

6. Caliban says

Though I don’t believe in fairy tales, according to the Bible I was raised with it’s YOU who is far more danger of roasting for eternity, John Luke. You just went against several of Jesus’ own rules to satisfy your right-wing religious/political hate agenda. You might want to start wearing asbestos undies just in case.

7. John Luke says

No gays in my Heaven that is for sure. He lived a life of sin. He would of been better off dead is all I was saying. Maybe his after life would of be a little less painful.

8. Mary says

I probably sound strange saying this about John Luke, because until recently others used to say this about me – but ignore him. He’s just trying to stir up trouble. At least when I was opposing marriage equality I had a purpose – to explain to the LGBT community how someone could be against SSM and yet still not be anti-gay and want to help improve American’s treatment of LGBT people. But John Luke isn’t doing anything other than repeating the standard views of the other side.

When you’re a visitor (and I’m still one myself since I’m straight) you need to show respect for your hosts.

9. CollieFlower says

I recently educated myself on GLBT history, our struggles and what we endured. It was so moving and powerful. I really believe it should be taught in schools because if young children realize what we went through as a people to be comfortable in who we are, they would be far more accpeting and knowledgable. It’s part of the historic message and should be expressed.

10. Steve-ATL says

John Luke,

Your Church is what causes the biggest divide in this world. You are an institution no different than a gang. You kill innocent people all in the name of your ego. You create wars, and pin groups against each other and promote violence. If there is a hell, modern day religious folk have a warm spot reserved in it.

Enjoy it.

11. Matt says

WHy do you people acknowledge people who only want to be acknowledge. Have you never had a 3-year-old throw a temper tantrum just to get your attention?

Why bring more dirt upon a story like this by acknowledging such tomfoolery?

12. John Luke says

I aint no queer. I got a good amount of pussy. I mean yeah some of it is fat and not the best looking but pussy is pussy. Beats getting someone’s meat pole pounding my ass hole. Only people who can’t pick up girls turn fag because it’s easy mode.

13. Edward says

@ john luke: hmm… straight guy here, with gay friends/co workers. i read this blog for the news content/keep up with what my friends are talking about. what’s your point in reading this blog & hijacking a post about an amazing person’s life? are you thinking you’re going to convert gay man to your religion somehow? seems really weird to me. if you don’t like gay men, i’d think you would at least avoid a gay blog…

14. Edward says

@ john luke, you’re a joke. saving souls and being promiscuous–yeah, that’s what jesus taught.

always find it odd how much some “straight” guys think about the mechanics of gay sex. makes me wonder…

15. John Luke says

Gay history what a joke. Is Jerry Sandusky going down in gay histor? Bunch of boy loving sickos. What’s what most people think of when we think about gay men.

16. ratbastard says

John Luke is obviously one of the usuals on here trolling so they can then use ‘Lukes’ posts as a foil. Some of the BS on here is so lame and obvious it’s painful. Deliberately create an over the top troll so you can then control and/or shift the subject towards your talking points [lately it’s been mostly anti-Christian anything and the Obama re-election].

I would like to read, hear, watch a more definitive and hopefully accurate history of the Nazi rise to power, WW2, the Holocaust [which involved many groups, not just Jews], and the Soviet duplicity involving Nazi Germany and the brutal occupation of Eastern Europe in the aftermath of the war. So much now available is questionable and biased. The truth of this period is far uglier and unpleasant than many people and groups would like to admit.

17. millerbeach says

JohnLuke, you are usurping the ultimate authority of God by passing judgement upon His children (which we ALL are, like it or not). YOU, JohnLuke, will be going to Hell, because you violated one of the Ten Commandments, by passing judgement on others. That is the work of God, not you. You are a mere mortal. You violate Christian law by pretending to be god. You fail.