David Burtka | Gay Parents | Neil Patrick Harris | News | Oprah

BigGayDeal.com

Oprah Visits Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka, and Their Twins: VIDEO

Oprahnph

In an episode of Oprah's Next Chapter which aired yesterday, and may be repeating on her OWN network, Winfrey visits Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka at their home and meets their kids and sees their nursery.

Oprah asks the couple about the challenges they've faced parenting, if one is more "maternal" than the other, and how they plan to tell the kids about what Harris calls the "weirdly scientific" way in which they were conceived and born.

She also asks Harris and Burtka about their past relationships with women, and about when they realized they were gay.

WATCH, AFTER THE JUMP...

What they'll tell the children about how they were born:

Parenting challenges:

Past relationships with women:

Comments

1. Pretty good interview, however I object to Oprah's asking them if they had ever had sex with women; name one heterosexual parent in a relationship to whom Oprah asked if they had ever had homosexual sex? Harris's dad (Republican & veteran) used term "gay lifestyle".

Posted by: Jeff Atwood | Jun 4, 2012 10:15:44 AM

2. Oprah always asks the stupid offensive questions that your aunt would ask? "Which one of you is the mom?" UGH

Posted by: QJ201 | Jun 4, 2012 10:22:21 AM

3. Oh, good God! Will the One Million Moms now be boycotting Oprah? Considering how every one of their boycotts bombs out they really should change their name to "Moms for Bombs."

I'm not crazy about the fact that these kids don't have a mother, but at least there are two parents in their lives. Does having two Dads beat having only a "single mom by choice?" If society is going to tolereate the latter it really has no basis for objecting to the former.

I wish this couple and their children well.

Posted by: Mary | Jun 4, 2012 10:26:20 AM

4. "I'm not crazy about the fact that these kids don't have a mother"

...Because, Mary?

Thousands of children are raised by single fathers and turn out just fine. My brother has 3 kids he raised without a woman in the house and did very nicely, thanks. That statement is pretty prejudicial, Mary, and offends anyone that has no mother or is raising kids without one.

Yes, Oprah asks the dumb questions, but in a way she's asking what most of dumb Americans would probably ask and that's her job, presumably.

A bit unfair to ask about having sex with women, though, and she'd never ask a hetero male if they've ever had sex with men. Bias.

Posted by: johnny | Jun 4, 2012 10:41:39 AM

5. What a beautiful story and Oprah as usual allows her guests to reveal themselves.

Posted by: andrew | Jun 4, 2012 10:49:25 AM

6. I hear so many people say they found it offensive and dumb of Oprah to ask if they ever had sex with women. But I don't know, to me it seems like a logical question to ask. I mean, it was in the context of whether they always knew they were gay and such, and her gay friend telling her how repulsive even the thought of straight sex is for him, so it made perfect sense I think. Some gay men are like Oprah's friend, others enjoy(ed) sex with women, why not speak about it?? Maybe I don't understand the hang-ups people have about this?!

And to Mary: My uncle raised his two sons by himself after their mom passed away when they were toddlers, and they turned out just fine, so I don't think you need to worry.

Posted by: Lee | Jun 4, 2012 11:07:40 AM

7. Why are they so perfect?! I was supposed to marry NPR. :(

Seriously, though. Beyond some of the cliché questions that are biased and lean towards a double standard, I think this interview is amazing.

1) Neil Patrick Harris is adored by most of the country and being gay hasn't hurt his career. He has a healthy celebrity life style and is not afraid to answer life questions or be a role model in American society. He's a perfect public example of what we all are striving for, as is his relationship with Burtka.

2) Most of the country (and Oprah's daytime audience) would ask the same questions. This is why she tends to ask lame questions on high profile interviews...she's dumbing it down for her audience. With this interview she invited America into a model example of a gay family and highlighted it's complex but normal nature. Yes she should not ask "have you ever slept with a woman" style clichés...but didn't all our families, friends, etc...ask us that very question when we came out?

Kudos to Patrick and David for letting us into their home and family and kudos to Oprah for providing the outlet to broadcast such an amazing example of what the equality agenda is really about. Acceptance, Love, Relationship, and Family.

Posted by: DRG | Jun 4, 2012 11:15:14 AM

8. All the best to D&P and their family.
    I won't watch the clips, because I don't watch Oprah.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jun 4, 2012 11:28:49 AM

9. Jeff Atwood,

Did miss the beginning where both say that they DATED women? Did you miss the part where David B. admits to being bisexual?

Sheesh.

Posted by: Mario | Jun 4, 2012 11:41:54 AM

10. Jeff Atwood,

Sheesh.

Posted by: Mario | Jun 4, 2012 11:41:56 AM

11. I think the question on 'having slept with a woman' was OK because they had publicly stated they had both dated women. I would hope that if a straight guy had publicly dated men, she would also ask the "are you bi?" "did you have sex with a guy?" Yes, I know it is a straight normative world, so the parallel is a bit of a stretch, but based on the comments I had expected her question to come out of nowhere.

Posted by: Don | Jun 4, 2012 11:57:41 AM

12. I didn't mind her asking if one was more "maternal" than the other, despite its feminine (for lack of a better word) overtones. We know what she means, and there really isn't another word for it. "Caretaker" doesn't really cover it, because ideally both parents are caretakers.

What would you call it in heterosexual parenting if, as sometimes happens, the father is the one who's better at the soothing and comforting than the mother? It's a subset of caretaking that's usually associated with the mother even though not all mothers have it.

Posted by: Caliban | Jun 4, 2012 12:08:21 PM

13. "I didn't mind her asking if one was more "maternal" than the other, despite its feminine (for lack of a better word) overtones. We know what she means,"

In the context of two paternal parents, no, I don't understand what she means.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Jun 4, 2012 12:16:01 PM

14. Damn - This woman may be rich but does not have a clue!!! The questions are so stupid anyone with a bit of insight and common sense would know better. She needs to get back to where she one belonged. In the reality we all live in

Posted by: Gary | Jun 4, 2012 12:27:37 PM

15. Oprah has done an excellent job,as usual.A better friend LGBT people couldn't ask for. You rule Oprah!!!

Posted by: andrew | Jun 4, 2012 1:17:28 PM

16. Asking them if they had sex with women is perfectly acceptable. Living in a hetero-based society where everyone assumes that everyone's sexuality defaults to heterosexuality, gays have been forced to go through a journey of sexual self-awareness. . Some faster than others.

It is a blunt question, but valid because it goes to the personal journey each of these guys have made.

It is only five clips, but I do wish NPH would have let David talk a little bit more, but that may be the nature of their relationship. I just could not get a very good fix on who David was.

Posted by: Ricco | Jun 4, 2012 1:38:34 PM

17. Is it wrong to say that I have been in lust with Doogie (sorry, NPH) since I first saw him?

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | Jun 4, 2012 1:52:33 PM

18. Is it wrong to say that I have been in lust with Doogie (sorry, NPH) since I first saw him?

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | Jun 4, 2012 1:52:34 PM

19. David didn't want to interview he only did it because he got to interview OW for E

Posted by: Kim | Jun 4, 2012 1:52:58 PM

20. Is Harper David's offspring and Gideon Neil's? That's my guess, though it's hard to tell. I think they must both take after their mother.

Posted by: Buddy | Jun 4, 2012 2:09:43 PM

21. I think It is strange that on the the various gaysites, is where they are criticized. While others think the interview was amazing.
    Remember these are just a few clips, The interview lasted nearly an hour. Their parents also spoke.

Posted by: NN | Jun 4, 2012 2:35:20 PM

22. MARIO, i saw it on TV last nite & i dont recall David B. admitting he's bi....

Posted by: redball | Jun 4, 2012 3:22:09 PM

23. Bravo Jeff Atwood, I too found that question incredibly homophobic. But no one will call her on it. She has always been a patronizing synchophant(sp?) of anyone she interviewed except those who disagreed with politically or those who deceived her. Her hidden homophobia kind of slipped out via her juvenile questioning.
    "Oh look I'm interviewing two gay men, aren't I the perfect liberal?"

Posted by: Iwontgrowup | Jun 4, 2012 3:40:26 PM

24. From Mary's above post, "I'm not crazy about the fact that these kids don't have a mother, but at least there are two parents in their lives."

Other than breast milk, what, exactly, does a woman give a child that a man cannot? Having a mother is not always all it's cracked up to be. It's the quality of the parenting that counts, not the gender of the parent.

Posted by: Boone68 | Jun 4, 2012 4:15:01 PM

25. I have so many friends and relatives who grew up in two parent f**ked up (Mom and Dad)families that I have long since stopped thinking of it as the ideal. A child needs a loving adult in his or her life no matter the gender or the relationship.

Posted by: andrew | Jun 4, 2012 4:41:16 PM