BigGayDeal.com

Prop 8 Proponent David Blankenhorn: 'The Time Has Come for Me to Accept Gay Marriage'

Prop 8 proponent and witness and director of the Institute for American Values David Blankenhorn made waves in April when he came out against North Carolina's Amendment One. Today, in a NYT editorial, Blankenhorn writes "the time has come for me , to accept gay marriage and emphasize the good that it can do," and explains why:

BlankenhornFor me, the most important is the equal dignity of homosexual love. I don’t believe that opposite-sex and same-sex relationships are the same, but I do believe, with growing numbers of Americans, that the time for denigrating or stigmatizing same-sex relationships is over. Whatever one’s definition of marriage, legally recognizing gay and lesbian couples and their children is a victory for basic fairness.

Another good thing is comity. Surely we must live together with some degree of mutual acceptance, even if doing so involves compromise. Sticking to one’s position no matter what can be a virtue. But bending the knee a bit, in the name of comity, is not always the same as weakness. As I look at what our society needs most today, I have no stomach for what we often too glibly call “culture wars.” Especially on this issue, I’m more interested in conciliation than in further fighting.

A third good thing is respect for an emerging consensus. The population as a whole remains deeply divided, but most of our national elites, as well as most younger Americans, favor gay marriage. This emerging consensus may be wrong on the merits. But surely it matters.

Check out the whole op-ed HERE.

Comments

1. that's great and all...but it would have been nice if he did before testifying.

Posted by: DRG | Jun 22, 2012 2:53:30 PM

2. "... marriage is a gift that society bestows on its children ... gay marriage effaces that gift ... I am not recanting [anything]."

So what he's saying is that he's just given up fighting against us because he's losing to "elites" who are "wrong on the merits". We're still bad people who rob children of their gifts, even if we don't have any children. Thanks a lot, Dave.

Posted by: Randy | Jun 22, 2012 2:55:19 PM

3. The disdain he feels towards gay people drips from that opinion piece.

Posted by: jht | Jun 22, 2012 2:55:34 PM

4. Major closet-case!

Posted by: MJ | Jun 22, 2012 3:03:12 PM

5. I'm hearing Suzanne Sugarbaker saying "oh, all RIGHT."

Posted by: The Milkman | Jun 22, 2012 3:07:22 PM

6. He saw which way the wind was blowing. Hardly worthy of praise.

Posted by: brandon h | Jun 22, 2012 3:13:09 PM

7. I guess the silly putty did not hold his foundation.

Who's next said the "Shadow" ?
    For the Shadow knows.

Posted by: anthony | Jun 22, 2012 3:15:15 PM

8. Look. Full of caveats and foot dragging as it may be, just mark it as a win and move on.

Posted by: melvin | Jun 22, 2012 3:25:00 PM

9. How do you go from writing books, then testifying against it to two years later endorsing it? It takes a mighty big hypocrite to accomplish all that.

Posted by: nick | Jun 22, 2012 3:32:16 PM

10. Listen I think you should know something. I contacted the Institute for American Values about a year ago and asked for their tax forms. They didn't give me any problems at all and sent them.

100% of his Foundations funding I htink it was 2009 or 2010 was The Bradley Foundation. Yes the same Bradely Foundation that just funded the FAKE Regnerus "Gays make bad parents" research out of Texas. The Same Bradely Foundation who in 2010 gave the Family Research Council $40,000 to fund a Marriage Project which I am pretty sure was that CD the FRC Made.

Now think who Blankenhorn gets his funds from to survive.... and think of what he said today.

We can nitpick that he did not say it exactly the way we would have liked but son of a gun he DID EVOLVE.

I called and got his e-mail address and sent him a thank you e-mail. I try always to thank people who help me. Please consider doing the same.

Blankenhorn@AmericanValues.org

Posted by: StraightGrandmother | Jun 22, 2012 3:32:26 PM

11. Tell us more about the Bradley Foundation. This is what we should all be interested in. There's a real story here, and a more important one.

Posted by: Mike B. | Jun 22, 2012 3:41:13 PM

12. i won't go as far as grandma, but i thought that was as graceful a concession speech as i have heard in a while. my ideas aren't working so lets try another way of going about things. all in all he sounded far more intelligent than i gave him credit for.

i didn't read into it any dripping condescension or hate, reluctance maybe, but not hate.

Posted by: bandanajack | Jun 22, 2012 3:46:08 PM

13. Blankenhorn translator: "I'm still a bigot, and I still reserve the right to look down on gays & lesbians and their so-called "families", and I'm still in denial that marriage has more than one function and purpose in society, but I'm tired of these rainbow-wielding fairies handing me my a$$ in every debate, and making me look utterly foolish. Plus, my funding's about to dry up. So I need a new angle. Can't we all just get along?"

Posted by: Gaggie Mallagher | Jun 22, 2012 4:01:06 PM

14. Straight Grandmother: as I recall Frank Rich pointing out in 2010, Blankenhorn paid himself almost $400,000 from his foundation, and his wife another $70,000. So I doubt that he is going to have a hard time surviving. He is a huckster and obviously believes that toeing the Brodley Foundation line has been bad for his business. I suspect his anti-gay marriage position has hurt his foundation. A lot of people don't like to associate with bigots. He probably hopes to resuscitate it by recalibrating his position.

Posted by: Jay | Jun 22, 2012 4:11:54 PM

15. The less people like these that are out there fighting us, the better. I think it's pretty awesome, next up...Brian Brown.

Posted by: meowen | Jun 22, 2012 4:16:28 PM

16. You can discount his intentions all you want, but you're putting words in his mouth and attributing perspectives to him which you don't know at all. At the end of the day, he recanted his stance on the issue and he was a major supporter in the first place. That stance is huge. We've all been wishing for more allies. Lets not beat them down when they join our side.

As far as assuming he looks down on our relationships, don't we do the same to a couple we don't think look right together or who exist on opposite ends of a pay or weight scale? Judgement is universal so lets not worry too much about that. He is a supporter now. Welcome, sir.

Posted by: Tim | Jun 22, 2012 4:44:55 PM

17. I have a lot of respect for this guy now, and anyone who can so thoughtfully change their mind, especially on something he feels so strongly about.

Some of you make me ashamed to call myself gay, but for totally different reasons than I did before.

Posted by: Jack | Jun 22, 2012 4:58:26 PM

18. Who's assuming?

He explicitly says that he recants NOTHING, and that he does not believe that gay and lesbian relationships deserve the same recognition that penis-vagina marriages do.

No one has to put words in his mouth. You can quote him directly and see he's still spewing bigotry.

Posted by: Gaggie Mallagher | Jun 22, 2012 5:22:47 PM

19. Raindrops make a sea. While most of us remain skeptical and personally in a "too little too late" mind set, this will be groundbreaking to those foot soldiers on the other side who have blindly followed where he, and others, have led. This will start conversations and leave a gray area for those who have started feeling like bigots but saw no wiggle room or space to shift to the left.

This is good news.

Posted by: Michaelandfred | Jun 22, 2012 5:28:17 PM

20. He's not supporting, he's conceding. Huge difference.

It's an improvement in form, not substance.

Posted by: Grateful But Not Duped | Jun 22, 2012 5:29:20 PM

21. That op-ed is more asinine than anything else he's ever said.

I think he should lose the 1970s haircut, but I guess I'll tolerate it for now.

Posted by: Turbohand | Jun 22, 2012 5:44:27 PM

22. BISH, PLZ.

that excerpt was like 2 steps forward, 1.99 steps back.

if i read one more qualification of his 'acceptance' of gays, i was going to scream.

Vomit.

Posted by: REDBALL | Jun 22, 2012 5:46:10 PM

23. Well stated MICHAELANDFRED. Let us not lose sight of the forest for the trees. Not everyone is going to like us, not everyone is going to respect us. This is true within our own community, as well as the straight community. It doesn't matter. What matters is the fact that he is no longer actively trying to deny us our rights. He can look down his nose at me as much as he likes, it won't hurt me or my feelings in the slightest. If he goes back to financing, testifying, campaigning to deny me the same rights enjoyed by my siblings, then I am going to have a problem with him. I'll take concession, as long as I am equal in the eyes of the law.

Posted by: Kenneth | Jun 22, 2012 5:53:34 PM

24. I'm a little confused... Everyone in our community damned him for what he was doing against us. We work tirelessly to educate people like him that our love and devotion to our partners equals that of straight relationships, with the aim that one day they will understand us better and be more accepting. Then, when someone like him comes along and admits he was wrong, and that he has changed, even if it's not as much as we hoped, we sill damn him... Are we fighting for acceptance? Or are we fighting for acceptance from a certain few?

If someone could clear that up I'd appreciate it.

Posted by: Wdeanis | Jun 22, 2012 6:07:26 PM

25. "Then, when someone like him comes along and admits he was wrong, and that he has changed,...."

@WDEANIS: IDIOT! Did you read the op-ed? He admitted no such thing! He says that he has NOT changed. He just encourages homophobes to stop attacking and villifying gays and lesbians on the marriage issue, not because opposing marriage equality is wrong, but because it's a lost cause, and wasted effort.

Posted by: Thanks For Not Much | Jun 22, 2012 6:35:35 PM