News | Tennessee | Thomas Roberts

Straight Man Pretends To Be Gay For A Year, Learns Lesson: VIDEO

Kurek

Nashville resident Timothy Kurek says his religious upbringing taught him that gay people are sinners, and that for years he acted like a straight up bigot toward them. Then, after a friend was ostracized by her family for coming out, Kurek decided to pose as a gay man to see if his past fears were warranted.

They were not, he learned. Now Kurek is writing a book about the experience and stopped by MSNBC today to discuss his project.

Gay anchor Thomas Roberts doesn't seem quite sure what to make of Kurek, and wondered how the author can "validate" his experiment to people who are actually LGBT and may be offended by his work, particularly since his research only entailed hanging out in Nashville's gay neighborhood.

In response, Kurek readily admits "there is no way I could possibly understand what it's like to actually be gay."

"The book itself is not at all about what it is like to be gay, but only about ho the label of gay impacted my external life and how those things kind of altered my faith and challenged my beliefs," he said.

Kurek also explained that his family, though very religious, was supportive and that he hopes his work — something of a 21st century update of Gentlemen's Agreement — can change some religious conservatives' minds.

Surely readers will have something to say about this, so watch the video and sound off AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Oh Rick. You're just so...stupid. And we're all just SO impressed with your manliness. You remind me of someone...oh I know! Bryan Fischer! That's it!

Posted by: wtf | Jun 14, 2012 5:38:10 PM

2. Oh Rick. You're just so...stupid. And we're all just SO impressed with your manliness. You remind me of someone...oh I know! Bryan Fischer! That's it!

Posted by: wtf | Jun 14, 2012 5:38:18 PM

3. Have none of you heard of the Book "Black Like Me"? This is a long time honered way of "walking a mile in someone else's shoes". He was willing to test a hypothesis in a personal way, Good On Him, Good For Him.

Posted by: Matthew Hintzen | Jun 14, 2012 5:42:42 PM

4. I've been following Tim Kurek for a while now. I think his heart is in the right place doing this - count him as an ally.

Posted by: Justin | Jun 14, 2012 6:40:50 PM

5. His attempt at being gay and trying to understand the lifestyle is 110% more than most, so I applaud his efforts. More like him, Please!

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Jun 14, 2012 7:05:51 PM

6. His attempt at being gay and trying to understand the lifestyle is 110% more than most, so I applaud his efforts. More like him, Please!

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Jun 14, 2012 7:05:58 PM

7. How could this person know what it's really like to be gay like Rick? Rick is a real mannequin, with a real boyfriend he wants to marry. We know he's the real thing because he did what some teens do when they don't fit in, but thank god he got over it and later pose naked online to validate what, I didn't see. He's so confident he blocks people from Twitter. He hasn't got Anderson's pedigree, but Anderson doesn't strive to be a perfect example. Fortunately news anchors come and go. I'm not fond of people who "represent" me .Remember, bitching is an art form. Someone's negative could be your positive and visa versa.

Posted by: Truman | Jun 14, 2012 7:06:53 PM

8. I'm more curious about Rick than this character. How could this person know what it's really like to be gay like Rick? Rick is no news mannequin. He's got a real boyfriend he wants to marry -- yes marry He's the real today gay. I've seen his backside on line. All the greats do that - Mr. Black. He's so sure of himself he blocks people from Twitter at the drizzle of anything negative. He may not possess Anderson's pedigree, but Anderson can't pass as straight. I'm so glad we finally have a "normal" guy to "represent" us. Too bad Richard Engel is my favorite. This edited job should pass muster.

Posted by: Bebo | Jun 14, 2012 7:34:29 PM

9. I'm more curious about Thomas than this character. How could this person know what it's really like to be gay like Tom? Thomas is no news mannequin. He's got a real boyfriend he wants to marry -- yes marry He's the real today gay. I've seen his backside on line. All the greats do that - Mr. Black. He's so sure of himself he blocks people from Twitter at the drizzle of anything negative. He may not possess Anderson's pedigree, but Anderson can't pass as straight. I'm so glad we finally have a "normal" guy to "represent" us. Too bad Richard Engel is my favorite. This edited job should pass muster.

Posted by: Bebo | Jun 14, 2012 7:36:03 PM

10. Wow! So much low self-esteem in this comment thread. What's all this talk about obesity? Some are are attracted to it, some are not. To each his own.

As for the subject-person, I wouldn't judge him. His experiment, from what I gathered, was not about trying to figure out what it is like being gay, but about what it is like to be on the negative social response to being gay. I think he learned his lesson and will make his point.

Posted by: William | Jun 14, 2012 9:19:05 PM

11. Wow! So much low self-esteem in this comment thread. What's all this talk about obesity? Some are are attracted to it, some are not. To each his own.

Posted by: William | Jun 14, 2012 9:19:17 PM

12. he is proof that Christians pretend to be gay to get into the gay community, some do it to spy and some to it to try and change gays and some do it to make trouble. The Mormons are doing this a lot, pretending to be gay to save gay souls. While he says he want to walk with gays what are his real motives? If he is Christian then that means he wants gays to stop being gay, which is impossible since God created them gay. What is so hard for Christians to understand about God creating gays? They think that God made them, right? Most likely he will do what a lot of Christian do and that is try to stop gays from having gay sex, like that is any of their business. Why do Christians think they have any business in the sex life of people, I never read that in the Bible that God say stop people from having sex?

Posted by: Dave | Jun 14, 2012 9:33:24 PM

13. He is on our side. Thank him.

Posted by: andrew | Jun 14, 2012 9:42:26 PM

14. He is on our side. Thank him.

Posted by: andrew | Jun 14, 2012 9:42:29 PM

15. He is on our side. Thank him.

Posted by: andrew | Jun 14, 2012 9:42:33 PM

16. He is on our side. Thank him.

Posted by: andrew | Jun 14, 2012 9:42:34 PM

17. He is on our side. Thank him.

Posted by: andrew | Jun 14, 2012 9:42:35 PM

18. He is on our side. Thank him.

Posted by: andrew | Jun 14, 2012 9:42:36 PM

19. He is on our side. Thank him.

Posted by: andrew | Jun 14, 2012 9:42:38 PM

20. He is on our side. Thank him.

Posted by: andrew | Jun 14, 2012 9:42:41 PM

21. He is on our side. Thank him.

Posted by: andrew | Jun 14, 2012 9:42:41 PM

22. He is on our side. Thank him.

Posted by: andrew | Jun 14, 2012 9:42:41 PM

23. He is on our side. Thank him.

Posted by: andrew | Jun 14, 2012 9:42:41 PM

24. He is on our side. Thank him.

Posted by: andrew | Jun 14, 2012 9:42:41 PM

25. He is on our side. Thank him.

Posted by: andrew | Jun 14, 2012 9:42:41 PM