BigGayDeal.com

The Artist is Present

Marina

Here's a film tip. Those of you in New York City should make a point to check out Marina Abramovic: The Artist is Present, which premieres tomorrow at Film Forum.

The film documents Abramovic's physically and mentally-daunting three-month retrospective at the MOMA and the months leading up to it and is a beautiful and gripping look inside the mind of a performance artist and the world she inhabits.

Check out the trailer HERE.

Those of you not in NYC but with HBO can catch it starting on July 2.

UPDATE: Last night it just won the Audience Prize at the inaugural Champs-Elysees Film Fest in Paris.

Comments

1. Ewe! Tittays! Gross I don't like that trailer. Girl boobies are yucky.

Posted by: Alan | Jun 12, 2012 10:51:50 PM

2. It's also playing at the Provincetown International Film Festival this Thu/Fri/Sat, if you happen to be attending with me...

Posted by: Scot Colford | Jun 12, 2012 10:57:04 PM

3. blah blah blah blah...blah blah blah blah. That's about as much as I get out of that. Sorry.

Posted by: Bri | Jun 12, 2012 11:40:18 PM

4. They did one of the most unique parties at their Sundance Premiere. Everyone got a lab coat and headphones, and their was no talking at the party.

Posted by: chrissy | Jun 13, 2012 12:08:34 AM

5. She looks sad and depressed.
    Dlisted had a clip of a performance artist who was a heavy set Thai or Philippine girl who had a massive amount of butter in a pile on stage she tried to crush wearing high heels. She really went down hard a couple times and was a creamy delicious mess at the end. I'd rather look inside her mind.

Posted by: MarkUs | Jun 13, 2012 12:14:32 AM

6. it's wonderful.

Posted by: josh | Jun 13, 2012 12:51:13 AM

7. What a piece for our time. It's like she's forcing us to stop, silence our smart phones, and slowly witness live performance, completely unburdened by content.
    It's a cri de coeur, for the fleshy, messy reality of all forms of performance and art.

Posted by: Riely | Jun 13, 2012 3:53:07 AM

8. RIELY - what nonsense. It's boring and absurd, another pathetic nod to the tired trope that artists are supposed to challenge us with their superior insight or force us to think, or think in new ways because they are especially qualified to do so. Such elitist notions of special powers have marred our cities with incomprehensible, if not hideous, public works which are offensive, delusional and joyless.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 13, 2012 6:10:37 AM

9. @Markus - the Indonesian performance artist you are referring to is Melati Suryodarmo, and her famous "Butter Dance" is here: http://youtu.be/dnPNr9yquuc

Posted by: arundel | Jun 13, 2012 8:36:28 AM

10. HA "cri de coeur" -- like if you say it in French it makes it better. No, I won't eat the french fries, I'll have the pomme frites. No, I won't stare at a random stranger, I'll instead stare at a random artist. It's lazy.

Posted by: joest | Jun 13, 2012 9:10:45 AM

11. I actually saw her at MOMA while she was doing this. It was interesting. I did not realize they were making a documentary of it.

Posted by: JD Swell | Jun 13, 2012 9:28:03 AM

12. I saw this at MoMA. To truly appreciate the piece, I think you, as well as the artist, need to be present. It was definitely an interesting experience not only to watch Abramovic but also to watch the audience reacting to her and the performance. Curious to see how this translates to film.

Posted by: Brandon | Jun 13, 2012 10:40:04 AM

13. @ UFFDA: As a performer myself, I respectfully disagree. We constantly need new ways of thinking about ourselves, and (good) artists do provide that opportunity. Obviously, the legacy of their experiments transcends the actual borders of their work. Either you like what they do, or you don't. The rest is out of your control.
    SKOL.

Posted by: Riely | Jun 14, 2012 9:27:05 AM

14. She's not inventing the wheel, either. There's already a strong precedent for this kind of staring contest with an artist, this high noon showdown of the camera eye-- Warhol's infamous Screen Tests, made in the 60's. The McNay, in San Antonio, recently showed several of them, on a continuous reel. I can tell you, the spectacle was hauntingly beautiful. I'm guessing you didn't head south on I-35 to see it.....

Posted by: Riely | Jun 14, 2012 6:30:58 PM

15. She's not inventing the wheel, either. There's already a strong precedent for this kind of staring contest with an artist, this high noon showdown of the camera eye-- Warhol's infamous Screen Tests, made in the 60's. The McNay, in San Antonio, recently showed several of them, on a continuous reel. I can tell you, the spectacle was hauntingly beautiful. I'm guessing you didn't head south on I-35 to see it.....

Posted by: Riely | Jun 14, 2012 6:31:00 PM