Comments

1. manbot says

Ummm…that is now the second time the New Yorker has featured a cover with lebian brides! (see cover from last summer shortly after it was declared legal in NY) I’m all for lesbian brides, but can’t we get a couple of dudes represented as well? To me, this only reinforces the idea that the larger society can handle females profess their love, but not two men. Come on New Yorker! Give it up for the me.

2. Scott Landores says

Meh. Lesbians tend to be pretty homophobic toward gay men. I should eb excited for this, but I also know the public uses lesbians as a way of saying “we’re okay with LGBT”…is that so? well, feature less lesbians and more male + male couples, trans folks and bisexual men and then we’ll see how OK you are with LGBT.

3. ThatDJ says

I believe lesbians have a different gay POV and prespective because they HAVE had it better than gay men. They’ve certainly had it a bit easier. To say otherwise is foolish. I don’t resent them for that, but I also realize they can’t seem to grasp they’ve had it easier and often want gay men to adopt the same complacent approach to equality they carry. Of course you’d be complacent to discrimination, you haven’t faced it as hardcore as gay males have.

4. says

While I admire my lesbian friends, I do think it’s an interesting thought to explore. That they have a different approach to gay rights and often crticize gay men for being as passionate as we are to grab on to equality. They don’t get our sense of urgency because I too don’t feel they’ve experienced much push-back. The whole Cynthia Nixon situation was very eye opening and rather disturbing. Lesbians in droves siding with heterosexuals and going as far as to say most homosexuals can and do choose it told me that, depending on how comfortable your transition toward “outness” has been, you very well could be more of a thorn on the side of GLBT equality than an ally. And the “outness” of lesbians, in my opinion, is a far safer and smoother road to travel than any gay man or transexual I’ve known.

5. IonMusic says

The media is comfortable with showcasing lesbians. Big news flash. What would have been truly interesting is depicting a picture of two married lesbians AND two married gay men.

6. Dr Mortimer says

Wow, I can’t believe these are 4 separate commenters. I think it’s just a clever troll (= “Rick” probably just learnt about sockpupetting).

I mean please, this is ludicrous. Saying “I hate lesbians because they hate gay men” is exactly like the Christian right claiming they’re oppressed. You’re the ones hating on lesbians right there and right now.

As for the difficulties of being a lesbian, I think it depends. Some have it hard, some don’t, maybe for different things than us. I’m a gay man and I didn’t have it hard as a kid – yet I’m passionate about equality, so what?

7. jhr459 says

This is an old argument against lesbians and it has always confused me. Sure there are some androphobic lesbians, but there are just as many gynophobic gay men.
    During the height of the AIDS pandemic, there were thousands of lesbians that came forward as caregivers to HIV+ and AIDS afflicted gay men. I like my lesbian friends and I just don’t understand this exclusionary attitude; unless it is specious and is being fostered by the RW as a divide and conquer bit.