Music | Music Recommendations | News | Occupy the Disco | Tad Haes

The OXD Mirror: New Music for 6.22.12

OXD_TheOXDMirror_0622

BY OCCUPY THE DISCO / TADEU MAGALHÃES

The OXD Mirror is a weekly music column brought to you by the boys of OCCUPY THE DISCO (OXD), a New York City based movement created by three music lovers, Ru Bhatt, Josh Appelbaum, and Tadeu Magalhães, who want to share their love for disco, house and dance music with the world.

1. Kindness: 'Gee Up (Erol Alkan Extended Rework)'

British producer Kindness is on a mission to make the world of pop music better—through disco. With his intriguingly-entitled first album World, You Need a Change of Mind, he has been able to establish himself as one of the most solid new artists at the moment. His latest single, 'House,' has a very sweet video where he briefly explains his point of view and also teaches a child the basics of dance music. If you ever thought electronic music is soulless and just noise created by nerds with their computers in a basement, Kindness is set to prove you wrong. In addition to the original version of 'House,' the single includes a remix for the album track, 'Gee Up.' The song is reworked by Erol Alkan, who has remixed Hot Chip, Saint Etienne, Daft Punk, Scissor Sisters and Metronomy, to name a few. We expect this killer disco track to rise in play count rather quickly, not only on our iPods but hopefully with your local DJs as well.

2. Softwar - 'This Time Around'

Endorsing the 90's house comeback, Sydney duo Softwar released 'This Time Around,' a track that is pure house bliss and throwback to a past era. This song is part of an EP with the same title and is only their second release so far. Be sure to play this on a good sound system or you might miss on the notably strong and vibrant bassline.

3. Le Youth - 'Dance With Me'

L.A. based Le Youth (Wes James) has joined the tropical-meets-90′s-R&B buzz with a great new track, ‘Dance With Me.’ The track, which can be downloaded for free here, borrows some familiar lyrics from TLC’s hit ‘No Scrubs.' Le Youth is still making his first steps into the dance scene, and though he has yet to have any official releases of his own, the remixes we've encountered show his potential to becoming a big name in the near future.

MORE NEW TRACKS, AFTER THE JUMP...

4. Lovelock - 'Maybe Tonight'

Lovelock is the codename for NYC based producer Steve Moore, who has a very wide range of signatures for various projects, from commercial to personal work. His track, 'Maybe Tonight,' made its first appearance on Chromeo's DJ-Kicks compilation in 2009, and now in 2012 has finally gotten a proper release on Lovelock's debut album Burning Feeling. The italo-disco ballad was also tweaked by house music legend Morgan Geist (of Metro Area) who managed to enhance every great aspect of the song and turn it into a masterpiece.

5. Bottin feat. Jupiter - 'Sage Comme Une Image (Spiller Remix)'

Italian producer and designer Bottin teamed with the Parisian duo Jupiter to create this great disco song with a French touch. To make things even better, fellow Italian DJ Spiller brought the tempo up to a perfect late night beat, making this a track that will bring any dancefloor down. On another note, Jupiter has just released their debut album, Juicy Lucy, filled with disco and electro-pop tunes. Needless to say we highly recommend it.

OCCUPY THE DISCO (OXD) curates and recommends music events to the gay community in NYC—in an effort to move the focus of the nightlife scene beyond the promoter and venue and to the music itself. OXD's goal is to educate, entertain, engage and empower the gay audience to reclaim their ability to question and experience the unknown. The OXD Mirror will serve to showcase tunes that are definitely off-the-beaten-path but rightfully deserve the attention of the gay ear. It's music that will make you dance, dream, and most importantly, love.

This week's post was written and curated by Tadeu Magalhães.

For more information on OXD, check out our website and accompanying blog at www.occupythedisco.com, like us on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter: @OccupyTheDisco.

Comments

1. AWFUL. What is this crap you are posting? I want some beat-bumping, rump-humping, hard-thrusting remixed kind of a boner-licking tracks. This just sucks. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Posted by: Alan | Jun 22, 2012 12:51:02 PM

2. These songs go on too long and are too repetitous, go on too long and are too repetitious, go on too long and are too repetitious.

Posted by: Ken | Jun 22, 2012 1:14:20 PM

3. thanks for exposing me to new artists and new sounds. not all are to my liking but i always find a track or two to add to my library. keep up the good work.

Posted by: david | Jun 22, 2012 1:45:55 PM

4. @David: thanks for your support!

Posted by: OXD_Josh | Jun 22, 2012 1:47:40 PM

5. Yeah, we all have our own taste in music... but I agree, this is bad.

Posted by: John | Jun 22, 2012 1:47:51 PM

6. I enjoy these posts and it always makes me want to leave work and go drinking on a rooftop.

We all have our own music tastes but they specifically state "... who want to share their love for disco, house and dance music... "

So if you're like Alan and looking for tweaker circuit music, perhaps you should just stick to the WORK! party.

Posted by: TyN | Jun 22, 2012 2:40:28 PM

7. i think several of the tracks are great (particularly the lovelock one) however, it would be nice too, to move the recommendations beyond just dance tracks. the previous music critics on this site gave us a really diverse array of music styles to check out (everything from grace jones to james yuill and more)and it continually fed my quest for new, adventurous music to add to my collection.

thanks for contributing, however. i always like to hear new stuff.

Posted by: alguien | Jun 22, 2012 3:03:03 PM

8. Gee Up is a fantastic track, but gotta say I prefer the Cosmic Kids remix. Alkan's been on my radar, however, since I came across his fantastic remix of Metronomy's The Bay.

I'm loving that Lovelock track also. I'm kind of on the fence on the guitar outro, but I'll admit it fits with with the tone of the track. I'm thinking that if this was more recent, he would've gone with a sax solo for better or worse.

Finally, thanks for the Bottin reminder. It's a great track that got buried in my favorites and I'd forgotten about it.

Posted by: kirkyo | Jun 22, 2012 3:24:11 PM

9. I'm with Alguien. There have been a few tracks that I've liked but its all starting to sound rather generic. Not one song has made me sit up and listen with a "wow, never heard this before".

Posted by: AladinSane | Jun 22, 2012 4:19:24 PM

10. @Kirkyo The Erol Alkan remix for Metronomy is really something, as well as his remix for Hot Chip (linked in the text). I actually love the 80s rock feeling of the guitar outro on the Lovelock track, it's almost cheesy (in a good way) but who knows, a sax solo could probably work well too! I just think the italo-disco vibe of this song is so inspiring. You should check out the entire Lovelock album, it's really nice.

@Alguien That's great feedback, we'll keep that in mind!

Posted by: Tadeu (OXD) | Jun 22, 2012 6:00:41 PM

11. I've been baffled by the strong negative comments seen here each week. I'm always finding a handful of tracks from the OXD mirror that I never would have found anywhere else. The header at the top of each week's post is clear that this isn't going to be the space where you're going to be linked to the latest David Guetta remix of a Pop Top 40 artist.* This is about finding something new, different, and unusual.

Please keep up the awesome work, OXD! I'm really enjoying the Lovelock track this week and in the process of hunting down other stuff by Steve Moore.

*If you're looking for Jersey Shore dance music, by all means please visit the front page of iTunes' Dance section. Knock yourself out.

Posted by: Reader That Remembers The Old (Not-As-Awesome) Music Feature Here | Jun 22, 2012 10:33:23 PM

12. Josh! I want to go dancing with you!

Posted by: Sean Maloney | Jun 23, 2012 12:51:55 AM

13. @Reader And some of us are saying that this isn't particularly new or different. We are exposed to disco/house/dance music in our culture on a continual basis. OXD has posted a few tracks that I haven't heard before and enjoyed but I haven't heard anything yet outside the "gay box". These tracks may be new and edgy to you, but they are quickly sounding "Guetta-ish" to me...

Posted by: AladinSane | Jun 23, 2012 12:58:38 AM

14. Lovely. Great post.

Posted by: Solomon | Jun 23, 2012 3:40:35 AM

15. Lovely. Great post.

Posted by: Solomon | Jun 23, 2012 3:40:38 AM

16. The feature track from Kindness is a solid and sick piece of creative work IMO. Thanks for introducing us to new stuff, whether we like it or not. UK only?

Posted by: Terry | Jun 24, 2012 8:54:39 AM

17. Let me add my congrats as well ....

Posted by: mcNnyc | Jun 26, 2012 2:22:30 PM