Anderson Cooper | CNN | Gay Media | News

Anderson Cooper Comes Out: 'The Fact Is, I'm Gay'

AndersonCooperGay

Finally putting to rest all that speculation, journalist Anderson Cooper has officially and publicly come out as a proud gay man.

"The fact is, I'm gay," Cooper wrote in an email to friend Andrew Sullivan after being asked about an Entertainment Weekly article on public figures who remain in the glass closet:

...I have given some the mistaken impression that I am trying to hide something - something that makes me uncomfortable, ashamed or even afraid. This is distressing because it is simply not true.

...There continue to be far too many incidences of bullying of young people, as well as discrimination and violence against people of all ages, based on their sexual orientation, and I believe there is value in making clear where I stand.

The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud.

I have always been very open and honest about this part of my life with my friends, my family, and my colleagues. In a perfect world, I don't think it's anyone else's business, but I do think there is value in standing up and being counted. I’m not an activist, but I am a human being and I don't give that up by being a journalist.

As for why he resisted coming out, Cooper said his privacy and travels to dangerous nations both played a part in his staying in the aforementioned glass closet.

Congratulations to you, Anderson. Maybe now the paparazzi can now get a proper shot of you and your boyfriend together?

Comments

1. Yeah! LOVE how he came out in his time. Good job Silver Fox!

Posted by: FunMe | Jul 3, 2012 12:02:42 AM

2. He wasn't sending the message that being gay was bad by not officially coming out. In my mind, he was acting as a 21st century gay man should, by recognizing that his sexuality was perhaps extremely important to some busybodies but not the defining thing about him.

And Rick--gosh I hate feeding you, but do you really think anyone is living under the illusion of journalists being objective today? Every network is staffed by anchors and hosts who constantly editorialize, and networks try to create a "brand" that is marketable. No one thought Anderson was completely objective on gay issues because you CANNOT be objective in the face of discrimination, bullying, etc. as a human being. If a journalist had been "objective" about slavery or the civil rights movement, would we have given him respect? If a journalist was a woman, would she be seen as non-objective about stories related to women?

Posted by: Stefan | Jul 3, 2012 12:26:21 AM

3. "RICK" (2 JULY; 4:37:20 PM),

I GUARANTEE - UNLESS IT IS A NEGRO STORY - FROM NOW ON, Anderson Cooper WILL "OVERSHADOW" Don Lemon AND COVER THE MAJORITY OF CNN'S STORIES OF HOMOSEXUAL INTEREST. IN LESS THAN A YEAR, Mr. Lemon WILL PROBABLY RETURN TO NBC, OR, GO TO ANOTHER MEDIA OUTLET. SINCE HE HAS PURCHASED PROPERTY IN NEW ORLEANS, Mr. Lemon MAY GO HOME.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jul 3, 2012 12:43:47 AM

4. SO, DAVID EHRENSTEIN, IT TOOK YOU THIS LONG TO MAKE A "JAB" AT ME FOR "CALLING YOU OUT" ABOUT General Colin Powell's DAUGHTER.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jul 3, 2012 12:51:00 AM

5. Towleroaders MUST REALLY LOVE MONEY. FOR ALL OF YOU TO BE CONGRATULATING Anderson Cooper FOR "COMING-OUT" IN MIDDLE-AGE - AND, AFTER HE HAS ESTABLISHED HIMSELF IN HIS CAREER - SENDS THE WRONG MESSAGE TO HOMOSEXUAL YOUTH ABOUT TAKING AN HONEST ASSESSMENT OF SELF. IF THIS IS THE TREND, WHY "COME-OUT" AT ALL? NO CAREER IS WORTH MORE THAN A LOVE OF SELF.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jul 3, 2012 1:03:40 AM

6. This is WAY overdue. Anderson is from one of he richest families on the planet. He had absolutely no risk attached to his coming out. If he got fired his family have the money to buy the whole company anyway ! He didn't need a job or any other method of earning money - he already has more than he can ever spend yet he still chose not to come out. I think this shows what a selfish individual he really is !

Had he come out years ago he could have done so much good for the younger generations but he chose to stay in the closet because he didn't have the balls to come out even though he had absolutely no risk attached ! I can understand people not coming out if they haven't yet earned enough money to withstand being fired but this was not the case for moneybags Anderson.

What a weak, selfish, pathetic man. I will never have any respect for him.

Posted by: Icebloo | Jul 3, 2012 3:14:05 AM

7. THIS IS AMAZING. vISIBILITY IS KEY.

being in the closet says being gay is shameful

Posted by: MJ | Jul 3, 2012 3:38:42 AM

8. The bigots always argue "there's SO very fewwww gays out there. You don't deserve to change rules and rights because there's so few of you out there"

Those of us who are openly LGBT know that's false. We KNOW there's many, many of us out there, and even more allies. That's why we as LGBT SHOULD come out and be open and honest with who we are. To defeat that ignorant comment that we are this freakish small group that is insignificant. We're not. We're everywhere!

Posted by: DaTruth | Jul 3, 2012 3:40:29 AM

9. It's going to take all gay people to come to terms with who they are, and be forthcoming with who they are to shift the mental block of heterosexuals. So straight people know their neighbor, friend, cashier, mailman, and even newsanchor that's welcomed in their home is part of our community...that's what makes our community less threatening: EXPOSURE.
    We can't expose ourselves if we're hiding ourselves. With truth comes freedom.

Posted by: Jiles | Jul 3, 2012 3:42:07 AM

10. His announcement and his words are BEAUTIFUL. His sentences devoted to our gay kids is some of the most touching things I've ever read, He may have taken his time, but man O man did he come out in the most ARTICULATE way, paying tribute to our beautiful community.

That letter was truly lovely on his part. Hope EVERY LGBT read it .....then saved it!

Posted by: Real Talk | Jul 3, 2012 3:46:10 AM

11. Little Kiwi is absolutely right.

Here's my take:
    So he admits in his letter that it IS important to come out and that the tide of history only advances when we make ourselves visible. Something I've known since I was 23 (around 30 years ago). It has been repeated for decades. Harvey Milk and many many others have spoken and written about the importance of coming out. He's a smart man...did he really miss all that?
    And if he didn't know about bullying previously, the "It Gets Better" campaign was started in September of 2010. But he only recently got the message. I applaud him for doing it...but what took him so long?

Posted by: stillmarriedinCA | Jul 3, 2012 4:25:02 AM

12. Anderson is above all a first class journalist and should be a role model for other LGBT people in journalism.

Posted by: andrew | Jul 3, 2012 4:34:44 AM

13. Now if we could just get Ratbastard, Rick, Little Kiwi and all those mean spirited ranters who post on this site to go back in the closet, the gay world would be a much healthier place.

Posted by: andrew | Jul 3, 2012 4:46:24 AM

14. But he was practically forced out - which is not cool. Read the comments under this piece by Brian Moylan:

Posted by: Boz | Jul 3, 2012 5:56:37 AM

15. Anderson Cooper is our own precious angel and we love him, love him more now and love him to pieces. I want him and his boyfriend to come over and have a piece of pie and tell me about all the fun their having. Then when they get married I want to be there in the back row, unobserved, dabbing at my tears with my hanky just thinking about what a much better world it is than when I met my Jim basically thousands of years ago. Thank you to Anderson.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jul 3, 2012 6:32:05 AM

16. Is this real? I can't imagine the Silver Fox endangering his career via an email with Andrew Sullivan...

Posted by: Erich | Jul 3, 2012 7:51:33 AM

17. @Rick. Learn cut and paste. You "quoted" me but changed the sentence.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 3, 2012 8:26:04 AM

18. Why are you so upset about Colin Powell's daughter CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON? Every professional journalist has known about her for years because she was the reason he turned down the Republican veep slot.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jul 3, 2012 8:52:10 AM

19. Youre obsession with being HNIC is not becoming dear.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jul 3, 2012 8:52:56 AM

20. Honestly, it makes me sad that we must publicly declare our sexuality (who I sleep with in the privacy of my home). While I completely understand that our rights are at stake, it's still sad that sexuality has ever been in that equation.

I applaud Anderson for speaking out so those that follow have another respected role model. Still, it's sad that we have to fight in a world that offers only one ultimate outcome-- our eventual death. For the short time we are hear, it would be wonderful to actually practiced the basic tenants of the religions everyone chooses to associate with.

that's all.

Posted by: Bradley Simon | Jul 3, 2012 9:43:49 AM

21. @Littlekiwi: in the scenario you sketch -- that your parents accepted you when you came out because they knew out gay people in their community. How is that inconsistent with the way Anderson Cooper lives his life? If your parents knew him, they'd know he was gay, so apparently he has fulfilled his responsibilities to "the Movement" (your caps) as you articulate them.

If instead you mean, he has a responsibility to "the Movement" to tell interviewers that he's gay -- and if that's your definition of "out" of vs "in" the closet, then we disagree. I was closeted until I was 25, and I'm here to tell you, refusing to talk to interviewers about your sex life while simultaneously conducting it rather publicly in New York City and Fire Island is NOT what being in the closet means, and moreover, defining it in that way diminishes the struggle real closet cases go through.

Anderson Cooper was never a closet case. Larry Craig is. McGreevy was. John Travolta. Et al.

You're just pissed because he doesn't want to be a spokesperson for a political movement, but that's his right.

Posted by: Scottevill | Jul 3, 2012 10:36:14 AM

22. Well done, Anderson Cooper! He's a brilliant journalist and human being.

Posted by: Andreas | Jul 3, 2012 12:43:08 PM

23. Thanks Mr, Cooper! Sort of overdue, but thanks!

Posted by: billmiller | Jul 3, 2012 3:49:07 PM

24. Anderson Cooper DID NOT come out.

He sent Andrew Sullivan an e-mail who came out FOR HIM.

How passive-aggressive and manipulative.

Posted by: Mark | Jul 5, 2012 8:52:29 AM

25. Yes, it's wonderful that Cooper has finally come out. I couldn't help but take a more critical view of all this...

The best Anderson Cooper can do -- with his family background, social status, education, experience, and knowledge -- is end up with the owner of an East Village Gay bar who looks like a stripper/escort? Really?

Transparent "Peter Pan Syndrome", arrested development and issues with masculinity.

SECOND
    "Even though my job puts me in the public eye, I have tried to maintain some level of privacy in my life." -Anderson Cooper.

Oh, I see. Anderson Cooper needs "privacy"? Is that why he goes to David Barton Gym -- a very public, very Gay Manhattan gym -- with his boyfriend (!!!) instead of a private training facility? To guard his precious "privacy"?

Is that why they're both photographed all over Manhattan together? Wonder how the photogs always "manage" to find them? Coincidence? Sounds like the very hard and calculated work of publicists.

The "privacy" pretense is as embarrassing as the closet itself -- a classic defense used by self-loathing closeted homosexuals who reluctantly come out.

THIRD
    "I've always believed that who a reporter votes for, what religion they are, who they love, should not be something they have to discuss publicly." --Anderson Cooper

"WHO they love"? No one is asking Anderson Cooper to reveal the name of his sexual partners (ew). Disclosure of one's *own* sexual orientation has nothing to do revealing the names of partners. Sadly, this distinction escapes Cooper.

Posted by: Mark | Jul 5, 2012 9:00:56 AM