Art and Design | Bruce LaBruce | Film | News

Bruce LaBruce Has Some Words For 'VICE' About Being Gay

BrucelabruceviceIrreverent, incorrigible, at times infuriating and often entertaining magazine VICE recently released a "Guide To Being Gay," an alphabetized collection that proclaimed "D is for drugs" and "N is for nasty sex," because "95 percent of gay guys have some kind of weird fetish that they'll expect you to indulge."

Director Bruce LaBruce offers a response, of which this is but a taste:

Of course I realize that articles of this ilk tend to deal in generalizations and stereotypes in order to make broader observational (and comedic) points. But owing to the recent tendency within the gay “movement” itself (I hesitate to call it a movement anymore, considering how deeply entrenched it now seems to be in its assimilationist agenda) to characterize homosexuality as a biological imperative (thankfully, I’ve always considered myself maladaptive)—as an innate, preordained, and fixed characteristic—I bristle at any description that might be analogous to the false assertion that, for example, blacks have natural rhythm. Do gays have a natural predilection toward fastidiousness and the aesthetic dimension, an “interior decorator gene,” as it were?

LaBruce later gripes, "The idea in the Guide that 'straight men are not seducible' is patently ridiculous."

Comments

1. The world's oldest living teen has spoken. I like what he's trying to do, but I'd like it better if he could actually do it.

Posted by: Ryan | Jul 11, 2012 9:39:46 AM

2. I agree, somewhat, but for different reasons.

The article seems to be written with a very backwards glancing attitude. As most broad generalizations, the gays described in the guide are caricatures from the 80s or worse.

The newer generations of gays may or may not necessarily be "assimilated" (which is what, simply being basic guys-next-door instead of the cliché?) but they are not nearly as drug-addled or sex crazed as the earlier "break-out" generations. In fact, they live much than my generation.

I'm particularly offended by the L is for Lesbians portion which asserts that gay men and women can't get along. Some of my best friends in the last 20 years have been lesbian women who I'd trust my life to well over and above some of the idiotic gay men who I used to hang with and I still have plenty of both male, female, straight and gay friends. This idiot sounds as bad as separatist dykes who tip the other end of the scale.

Even if written tongue-in-butt-cheek, the article paints a pretty dismal view of gay life. I really had a problem with the author about 2 paragraphs in. All in all: blech.

Posted by: johnny | Jul 11, 2012 9:45:56 AM

3. I've read manuscripts from meth addicts on a 5-day binger that were less wordy.

Posted by: endo | Jul 11, 2012 9:51:00 AM

4. There is no guide to being gay. There may be a marketing and political paradigm that markets towards us but this is the corporate and political world for you. At the level of definition, gay simply means same-sex. Nothing more, nothing less.

I know there are those who wish to broaden the definition of "gay" but these people usually are coming from an angle of wanting to exploit us. They are not remotely interested in our rights and they are probably not remotely interested in our humanity.

Posted by: brian | Jul 11, 2012 9:57:02 AM

5. It's always great when someone has the balls to speak out against the harmful sterotypes, even when they are propagated by gays themselves. As for so-called progressive publications, I have found many to utilize thinly-veiled homophobia in the guise of hipness. Putting a class of people into a separate box is bull****.

Posted by: patrick | Jul 11, 2012 10:52:51 AM

6. People who use the word ultracrepidarianism are generally a*sh*oles and shouldn't be trusted fyi.

Posted by: David in NYC | Jul 11, 2012 10:55:21 AM

7. I'm beyond bored of being lumped in as a drug addict (or even user) or weird fetishist. We aren't all caricatures of some myth. The sooner our own media stops propagating this garbage, the better.

No wonder people are scared of equality for us. Articles like this, which appear far too regularly, don't warrant a lot of respect for the subjects.

Posted by: Tim | Jul 11, 2012 11:36:13 AM

8. @JOHNNY "Caricatures from the 80s or worse"?

Here's a word for you to try out, hon.

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Now say it three times, then listen up.

As a member of that "break-out generation" you so condescendingly dismiss, I got news for you little sister:

I am neither sex-crazed nor drug-addled. Neither are the thousands of us who were a part of that "break-out generation".

You know what REALLY pisses me off about your post? You wallow in the same stereotypical b.s. thinking that you are railing against.

I will concede one point you make and it is a very, very important one:

When the AIDS crises were up-and-coming and then became a full-blown disaster, our gay sisters stepped up and were THERE for us. I have tears in my eyes thinking of the women I know who worked the phones, did the footwork, attended ACT-UP meetings and protests, took meals to guys isolated and alone in their apartments, visited friends in hospitals, helped navigate the bureaucratic paperwork that was necessary to get even the crumbs of assistance that was available then.

Let me tell you: the sisters came through!

Beyond that, I think you (and several others here) need to check yourself and get your facts correct.

I rarely EVER let some of the pithy little queens who troll around on Towleroad irk me. But, you, today, have succeeded.

Congratulations.

Now, STFU and grow up.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jul 11, 2012 12:34:01 PM

9. "(I hesitate to call it a movement anymore, considering how deeply entrenched it now seems to be in its assimilationist agenda)"

I would take him more seriously if he wasn't simply propagating his own assimilationist worldview on gays.

Posted by: Nat | Jul 11, 2012 12:41:11 PM

10. I am owning up to my share of Drug addled and sex crazed. How is that for self-knowledge?

Posted by: David B. | Jul 11, 2012 4:43:01 PM

11. Nat, are you sure you know what "assimilationist" means?

Posted by: Bill W | Jul 11, 2012 9:45:06 PM

12. "With "gay marriage" the only question, what's truly put in question is "gay" -- the legitimacy of our very lives. What's put beyond question is "marriage."

A system rooted in rights of property, long treating women and children as property; an institution long critiqued by feminists, social activists, children's rights advocates, gay liberationists; an edifice visibly crumbling -- has become the Gay Holy Grail. rb

Unity is a myth.

Posted by: Doug | Jul 11, 2012 11:14:41 PM

13. I have an announcement, "you're basic", see you on friday BLAB.
    oh yeah, and straight people suck.

Posted by: Travis | Jul 12, 2012 6:04:02 AM

14. Lol at these self-righteous baby boomers.

What else is new.

Posted by: Lance | Jul 12, 2012 5:51:35 PM

15. I feel it’s my duty as a homosexual, at the risk of biting the hand that partially feeds me, to take issue with a few of the pronouncements made in this albeit politically incorrect (what else?) and partly tongue-in-cheek mini-manifesto.

Posted by: Tamala | Aug 16, 2012 6:38:11 AM

16. I feel it’s my duty as a homosexual, at the risk of biting the hand that partially feeds me, to take issue with a few of the pronouncements made in this albeit politically incorrect (what else?) and partly tongue-in-cheek mini-manifesto.

Posted by: Oneida | Aug 17, 2012 4:36:03 AM

17. I feel it’s my duty as a homosexual, at the risk of biting the hand that partially feeds me, to take issue with a few of the pronouncements made in this albeit politically incorrect (what else?) and partly tongue-in-cheek mini-manifesto.

Posted by: Desire | Nov 19, 2012 5:43:21 AM