California | Health | News

California Health Department Woos LGBT Smokers

NoButts

Well aware that more LGBT people smoke than the national average, California's Health Department erected this billboard targeting these populations. The phone number, however, may be a dissuasion to some.

[Copyranter via Joe.My.God]

Comments

1. Epic fail on SO MANY levels.

Posted by: AJ | Jul 10, 2012 2:37:11 PM

2. I didn't realize so many LGBT people smoked. I thought we were smarter than that.

Posted by: Jack M | Jul 10, 2012 2:42:12 PM

3. In Cali we've had good, targeted campaigns for decades.

Posted by: John | Jul 10, 2012 2:50:05 PM

4. I smell a photoshopped image...

Posted by: The News-Breaker | Jul 10, 2012 3:06:07 PM

5. Lame. It's just too dumb having an ad targeted at gay men with the words 'NO BUTTS' on it. What, is it trying to get gay men to give up liking man booty and anal sex? Extreme fail!

1.800.ASS-NOT-ASH would have been a much better alternative.

Posted by: HOCKEYJOCK | Jul 10, 2012 3:14:11 PM

6. Or 1.800.NO-(gay slur which starts with a F)

Posted by: simon | Jul 10, 2012 3:46:52 PM

7. 1-800-NO-BUTTS has been going for years; this is just a new campaign.
    I thought the headline was tongue in cheek and would be understood as such.
    It's a pun. "No ifs, ands or buts" (one t) crossed with the idea of putting out cigarette butts (2 t's). It has nothing to do with your hiney.

I actually find it surprising (though not unbelievable) that more gays than straights polllute their lungs with smoke.
    In my highly-gay neighborhood, the gay community is very health-conscious and the vast majority of gay women and men I know not only never smoke but would rather not date a smoker.

I can imagine why it would be harder for some people to quit when they may be dealing with homophobia-related issues.

Posted by: Gregv | Jul 11, 2012 2:46:03 AM

8. 1-800-NO-BUTTS has been going for years; this is just a new campaign.
    I thought the headline was tongue in cheek and would be understood as such.

Posted by: Gregv | Jul 11, 2012 2:46:10 AM

9. Some of y'all are surprised gays smoke more than straights?? Really? Not surprising to me. (Same goes for alcohol, drugs, etc.)
    Maybe among white-collar professionals it isn't that way, but among gays who are not in that socioeconomic class, they are very likely to be smokers. No doubt.

More noticeable in the south than California, probably. When NC passed the smoking ban in 2010, every single gay bar in the state opened up patios for the smokers. Go to any NC gay bar on a Saturday night and unless weather is bad, the patio is more crowded than either the bar or the dancefloor, and it's almost all smokers. It's very sad!

Posted by: RaleighRob | Jul 11, 2012 8:38:38 AM

10. I would say obesity has surpassed smoking as the U.S. most pressing public health issue. But of course seriously addressing that would require acknowledging the obvious: genetically modified food, growth hormones in the food chain, popular pharmaceuticals that as a side effect cause obesity, massive government subsidies especially in agriculture that allow our food supply to be the way it is, are all very integral to the high level of over-weight and obese people in the U.S. That's not going to be seriously tackled because too much $ is at stake.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 11, 2012 11:32:23 AM

11. It's always disappointing to see a hot guy with a fag in his hand.

Posted by: foobar | Jul 11, 2012 11:00:41 PM

12. It's always disappointing to see a hot guy with a fag in his hand.

Posted by: foobar | Jul 11, 2012 11:00:54 PM

13. The post was professionally written and I feel like the author has extensive knowledge in this subject.

Posted by: teeth whitening | Sep 4, 2012 5:31:46 AM

14. Wow! That billboards a bit close to the bone.

Posted by: whiteteethwhiteningkits | Sep 23, 2012 12:46:13 PM

15. However, too many of them in the vagina can cause bacterial vaginosis.It is not known what causes the overgrowth of bacteria

Posted by: bacterial vaginosis | Oct 6, 2012 2:37:27 AM

16. I surprised with the analysis you made to make this particular publish incredible. Wonderful activity!

Posted by: genemedics.com | Jan 29, 2013 12:14:35 AM