Colorado | James Holmes | News

Colorado Shooter Makes First Court Appearance

Court_holmes

James Holmes, the man behind Friday night's murderous rampage, appeared in court moments ago looking completely out of it and deranged.

Denver Post:

A prosecutor told the Associated Press this morning that Holmes could face the death penalty. Formal charges are expected to be filed on Monday. Eighteenth Judicial District Chief Judge William Sylvester entered a protection order, requiring Holmes not to have contact with victims or witnesses. He also sealed the records in the case.

Sylvester ordered Holmes held without bond. The purpose of the hearing, known as an advisement, was to tell Holmes about the murder charges on which he is currently being held. A formal filing of charges by the district attorney's office will come later. Prosecutors could add to or change his charges in between.

Clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. @ stillmaarriedinca

Ha, for real. I seriously loaded the comments just to see how long it would take.

Posted by: virtualdespot | Jul 23, 2012 3:15:32 PM

2. As an insomniac, I can recognize the signs of sleep deprivation. He won't remember anything from the court appearance; his mind is already sleeping sort of, while his body is on auto-pilot.

Posted by: Tanoka | Jul 23, 2012 3:32:58 PM

3. I watched the proceedings live, he was making really odd expressions the entire time. Maybe it is sleep deprivation, or maybe it's because he's a psycho, or some combination thereof.
    I am curious to see what he has to say for himself, if he ever does say anything. Will it even make sense? Or will it be more like Son of Sam, who said a demon spoke to him through a dog and told him to kill people?
    But I believe the guy is a nutjob. I'm on the fence about the death penalty though. Part of me thinks sitting in prison for the rest of your life is worse punishment than knowing your days are numbered.

Posted by: Lucas H | Jul 23, 2012 4:36:41 PM

4. Let's stop giving this creep any more free publicity.

Posted by: jaragon | Jul 23, 2012 5:45:34 PM

5. Welcome to the post gay marriage USA.

Posted by: Josh | Jul 23, 2012 7:36:55 PM

6. I WONDER IF HE GREW UP IN THE GHETTO...THE WHITE GETTO.....WITH THE CRACK/METH ADDICTS.....

Posted by: Shannon | Jul 23, 2012 11:13:55 PM

7. He grew up in an upper middle class San Diego neighborhood.

And yes, I realize 'Shannon' was trolling with that question.

====================

He's clearly sleep deprived. Probably also on drugs for anxiety, maybe antipsychotic meds, etc.

And I'll say it again; he's not a bad looking guy if you look past the current situation. Nothing wrong with saying that. Jeffrey Dahmer was a pretty good looking guy. In fact, prosecutors said his good looks helped him in picking up dudes in bars.

Posted by: rtbastard | Jul 24, 2012 12:04:03 AM

8. Can't see how an insanity defense would work. This was planned out in too much detail for that.

I do wonder who financially supported this crime. Full body armor, weapons, ammunition and the materials used to booby trap the apartment must cost quite a bit of money. Far as I've heard he has no job and his family isn't that wealthy. Had to be some red flags somewhere that were ignored.

Posted by: Eddie | Jul 24, 2012 3:47:15 PM

9. Can't see how an insanity defense would work. This was planned out in too much detail for that.

Posted by: Eddie | Jul 24, 2012 3:47:18 PM