2012 Election | Barack Obama | Brad Pitt | Gay Marriage | Mitt Romney | News

BigGayDeal.com

Conservative Website Claims Jane Pitt 'In Fear' Following Anti-Obama Op-Ed

JanePittConservative website WorldNetDaily has seized on news that Jane Pitt, mother of actor Brad, penned an op-ed praising Mitt Romney and blasting President Obama for being a "liberal who supports the killing of unborn babies and same-sex marriage." And, yes, they're covering the story in grand fashion, claiming the media "slant" has worked people into a frenzy and describing Mrs. Pitt's tone as "laden with heaviness of heart."

WND spoke briefly with Pitt and asked about the media assault against her for her comments as a private citizen supporting Romney. With inflections in her voice that conveyed fear and despair, she quietly and politely said she was not interested in talking to anyone in the media about the incident.

When she was told WND supported her right to speak her mind and is appalled by the threats against her life, Pitt expressed gratitude to WND for being one of the few news agencies doing so.

Even her thank you, however, was said in a subdued manner laden with heaviness of heart.

They also claim "Pitt has every reason to be frightened," because some random wackos wrote violent tweets and the "mainstream media have painted her in a vilifying light."

It's unclear what media they're talking about, since Jane Pitt's letter seems like a blip when compared to the international sensation that is Doug Pitt.

Comments

1. I live where she lives. Most of the people in this town, after reading her little letter, will probably stand and applaud her. Living in fear, my ass! Mrs. Pitt is probably very protected. She and I have lived in this town all of our lives and I've yet to lay eyes on the woman (or her other son) in public.

Posted by: ez | Jul 10, 2012 2:39:28 PM

2. Let me parse this, because I've read a few too many comments filled with invective against Ms. Pitt.

Word Net Daily called her, hoping to get another dose of homophobia to throw to their readers. What they got was that "she quietly and politely said she was not interested in talking to anyone in the media about the incident." In other words, she said nothing.

How does that help World Net Daily? There's no story there. Mother of famous person expressed her opposition to President Obama. Her sons have publicly disagreed with her. She probably regrets she opened her mouth. She doesn't want to talk about it anymore.

So, World Net Daily takes it the next step. Sure, she declined comment, but they could hear the fear in her voice. They could read her mind over the telephone and tell that she was scared. Did they document any actual death threats? Has anyone?

Direct your anger against the liars at World Net Daily.

Posted by: John D | Jul 10, 2012 2:46:00 PM

3. I don't suggest Mrs Pitt should be threatened, (I'd like to see a bit of proof of those threats as well, I am aware of supposed threats to garner) but maybe she will understand how many gay people live their lives, feeling threatened because of who they are without having ever made a public statement about anything.

Posted by: lk | Jul 10, 2012 3:17:47 PM

4. "Threats against her life"? I doubt it. The radical right is quick to play the victim card these days to elicit sympathy. I don't believe a word of it.

Posted by: David | Jul 10, 2012 4:10:50 PM

5. As usual, the story isn't what it's spun into by the Wingnutdaily writers.

What SHE said was that she won't talk to reporters.

Their reporter HEARD inflections of fear and despair in her voice -- and voila! A story that she's living in fear!

Posted by: KevinVT | Jul 10, 2012 4:34:07 PM

6. LK: I agree with what you wrote. Apparently Mrs. Pitt is afraid of threats made by (presumably) nameless, faceless people. Now she knows how gay people feel when they read the hateful things that get written on the comments sections of mainstream news websites.

Of course, we have it worse. No one in a position of power has said that people like Mrs. Pitt should be rounded up and put behind an electric fence. (I'm referring to the preacher that wants to do that to us.)

Posted by: alex | Jul 10, 2012 6:27:28 PM

7. LK: I agree with what you wrote. Apparently Mrs. Pitt is afraid of threats made by (presumably) nameless, faceless people. Now she knows how gay people feel when they read the hateful things that get written on the comments sections of mainstream news websites.

Posted by: alex | Jul 10, 2012 6:27:29 PM

8. Dear Jane- If you cant take the heat, get the hell out of the kitchen. You dirty bigot.
    Love,
    Chicklets

Posted by: Chicklets | Jul 10, 2012 10:53:46 PM

9. Dear Jane- If you cant take the heat, get the hell out of the kitchen. You dirty bigot.
    Love,
    Chicklets

Posted by: Chicklets | Jul 10, 2012 10:53:48 PM

10. I'll leave the poor old lady alone when she stops interfering with my rights.

Posted by: darkmoonman | Jul 11, 2012 2:00:19 AM

11. I'll leave the poor old lady alone when she stops interfering with my rights.

Posted by: darkmoonman | Jul 11, 2012 2:00:30 AM

12. In fear? Really?

I think it's called 'paranoia' and 'delusional'.

Posted by: mmike1969 | Jul 11, 2012 8:47:32 PM

13. It matters not to whom someone is RELATED; If they are an A##hole, they are still an A##hole. What is wonderful, is when a Child of an A##hole is not an A##hole, also. We call that progress.

Posted by: Jerry6 | Jul 13, 2012 8:42:31 PM