Film | News | Robert Pattinson

Robert Pattinson in Final 'Cosmopolis' Trailer: VIDEO

Pattinson

The full U.S. trailer for David Cronenberg's Cosmopolis starring Robert Pattinson as a billionaire asset manager whose meticulously-managed life is thrown into disarray during a trip across the city in a single day, has been released.

Cronenberg told the BBC that shooting Cosmopolis was "like making a documentary" given the events of Occupy Wall Street and the financial banking crisis.

"It was kind of spooky," admits the Canadian auteur, whose adaptation of the 2003 Don Dilillo novel was in contention for the Palme d'Or at Cannes last month.

"Don wrote this book 12 years ago and it seems as though the world is catching up. It felt like we were making a documentary because everything we were shooting was happening on the streets at the same time."

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. That made me want to watch a Will Ferrell movie.

Posted by: steve | Jul 12, 2012 3:01:35 PM

2. CANADA!

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jul 12, 2012 3:06:35 PM

3. It looks interesting, more like Cronenberg's past work (reminiscent of Crash) but there's nothing very compelling about Pattinson in the trailer and he's the center of the movie. It could be a surprise though because Cronenberg tends to get good performances from actors, performances unlike what they've done before.

Posted by: Caliban | Jul 12, 2012 3:12:01 PM

4. Looks like crap, and having Pattinson in the lead role makes it even worse. If you want to see a good film adaptation of a J.G. Ballard novel, see Crash.

Posted by: Jack M | Jul 12, 2012 3:17:01 PM

5. "It could be a surprise though because Cronenberg tends to get good performances from actors, performances unlike what they've done before. "

I was impressed by Pattinson's performance, especially since when I was reading the book, I was picturing someone more akin to Leonardo DiCaprio. Pattinson did bring his own personal style to the character though. But the character he plays is also somewhat muted and emotionless; much of the drama of the performance plays below the surface.

Posted by: Nat | Jul 12, 2012 3:22:40 PM

6. "If you want to see a good film adaptation of a J.G. Ballard novel, see Crash."

Cosmopolis was written by Don DeLillo, not J.G. Ballard.

Posted by: Nat | Jul 12, 2012 3:23:43 PM

7. And Crash was the worst movie I've ever seen in my life.

Posted by: GB | Jul 12, 2012 3:36:40 PM

8. Cronenberg is likely one of perhaps four directors alive who could get me to see a film starring Robert Pattinson, so advance kudos for that feat alone!

Posted by: Zlick | Jul 12, 2012 3:38:36 PM

9. GB -- Crash was horribly overrated (compared to its Best Pic win), but is it the "worst movie" you've ever seen? You must not have seen very many bad movies.

If you want to talk about worst movies ever, here's a good list to start... http://www.rankopedia.com/Worst-Movie-Ever-Per-Rotten-Tomatoes-and-IMDb/Step1/23044/.htm

Posted by: Ryan | Jul 12, 2012 3:46:34 PM

10. Ryan, Cronenberg's Crash is not the same Crash that won the Best Picture Academy Award the same year Brokeback Mountain was nominated. Cronenberg's Crash is about a sexual underground of people who fetishize car crashes and re-enact famous ones like the one that killed Jayne Mansfield.

I've been a Cronenberg fan since the 80s when he was still doing what some reviewers called "venereal horror films" about parasites, technology that changes the body, and his generally odd obsessions. Whether you "like" a particular film or not Cronenberg is always interesting and he definitely fits the "auteur" label. Even in his more recent, traditional films like "A History Of Violence" there are odd touches that make it a Cronenberg film, things another director wouldn't have done.

But I understand why some people don't like his movies. They're discomfiting and odd, with glossy surfaces contrasted against violence and more than a little gore. Based on this trailer Cosmopolis is in that vein.

Posted by: Caliban | Jul 12, 2012 5:13:31 PM

11. Robert P. has to be the most unattractive leading man in my lifetime. I have an incredibly broad taste when it comes to the male of our species, yet I can find nothing at all to like in this guy. Why is he a movie star???? I thought it was due to me only seeing him in photos and not moving but this trailer only reaffirmed that he has no charisma, and definitely no good look.

Posted by: Mike in Oly | Jul 12, 2012 9:33:50 PM

12. "I've been a Cronenberg fan since the 80s when he was still doing what some reviewers called "venereal horror films" about parasites, technology that changes the body, and his generally odd obsessions. "

The film is a clear return to his earlier, pre-Spider themes. There's a de-emphasis on the characterization that's driven much of his recent work in favour of weaving a story about a man enthralled and enslaved by his technology.

Also, it's probably Howard Shore's best score (he collaborated with Metric) since Eastern Promises.

Posted by: Nat | Jul 12, 2012 10:18:28 PM

13. @MIKE IN OLY
    Pattinson's face lakes depth. the camera can't love him because it thrives on the pay of light and shadow.

Posted by: my2cents | Jul 12, 2012 11:16:56 PM

14. @MY2CENTS: Brilliant explanation. I accept it.

Posted by: Solomon | Jul 13, 2012 12:17:17 AM

15. Whereas this movie looks interesting, I'm not buying whatever Pattinson is selling. After watching him in Little Ashes, I realized his acting ability is seriously limited. Perhaps he has upped his game since then, but I have not heard so. His leading man good looks also escape me. Maybe I'm just missing something.

Posted by: MattS | Jul 13, 2012 4:22:42 AM

16. Robert Pattinson has to be the most boring actor. Can't figure out why he is lauded as a star. He lacks any depth in the characters he plays, has a most unattractive persona and the camera doesn't capture any nuance he may possess. Probably because no exist in his very bland face.
    @MY2CENTS:great concise post. Totally agree.

Posted by: jmx | Jul 13, 2012 8:22:54 AM

17. Certainly the worst movie I've seen... correction, I did not watch it all the way. I left the theater as many other viewers because we could not take that rubbish any longer. Which sick person could be allowed to write, film or edit that crap. it sucks all the way!! don't waste your money and valuable time with with that trash. We should sue the director and all involved for stealing my time an $. Damn, how stupid do they think we are???

Posted by: Chris | Jul 21, 2012 10:58:36 AM